Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a rune frame on ebay that comes with dhx coil. can anyone recommend good settings for the shock. i noticed on website (maybe they are referring to air) they list sag as real small (like 15-20%). should it be run with a normal sag like 30% with the coil? how about other settings.
thanks
tom

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
dft said:
i just bought a rune frame on ebay that comes with dhx coil. can anyone recommend good settings for the shock. i noticed on website (maybe they are referring to air) they list sag as real small (like 15-20%). should it be run with a normal sag like 30% with the coil? how about other settings.
thanks
tom
dude i was next in line for that if it's the one from new brunswick. i offered 1300 shipped and she was waiting for you to pay. sweet deal. is it mint?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
builttoride said:
Ignore the typo on the website, sorry, that was meant to be fixed. Rune can rune anywehere between 20 and 30% sag to suit your style.
Thanks for clarifying that. I was wondering if that was off some, since anything <20% sag on my Rune just felt too harsh and spikey (thought it was the shock). I am running about 22.5% sag now with an RP23 and feels pretty good for general trail riding, a little harsh in the rough though. Now knowing this, I am going to up the sag to somwhere between 25-30% and see how it rides especially since the bikes I have owned and ridden in the past I ran anywhere in between 33-37% sag.

·
Go for the throat
173 Posts
Has anyone out there went from air to coil in the rear on the rune? Has the ride improved much? I have an evlover isx 6 that just got back from service and I think I want to throw a coil on it instead. What spring rate is recommended for a 205 lb (210 lb or so w/ gear) rider doing mostly freeride? If anyone wants to go from coil to air I'm willing to trade the evolver.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
JD Risk said:
Has anyone out there went from air to coil in the rear on the rune? Has the ride improved much? I have an evlover isx 6 that just got back from service and I think I want to throw a coil on it instead. What spring rate is recommended for a 205 lb (210 lb or so w/ gear) rider doing mostly freeride? If anyone wants to go from coil to air I'm willing to trade the evolver.
I'd go with a 550lbs spring if you make the change. Think that will probably be best option for your weight.

·
Go for the throat
173 Posts
dft said:
finally got the rune! it took 3+ weeks to ship from nova scotia to san diego!
ps. JD risk, i could be intersted in swapping for air, not sure.
Cool. Let me know. The evolver works well, I just don't care much about the weight savings, and I think a coil would better suit my riding style. I'm not getting much riding time lately, so it will be collecting dust while you decide. I have yet to try this bike with a coil but my only complaints about the ride w/ an air shock are the following: To get a firm pedaling platform requires very little sag (around 15 percent) and a loss of small bump sensitivity. Running 20 to 30 percent sag yields a more plush ride but you tend to lose mid stroke and blow through the travel quite easily requiring a lot of hsc and bottom out set at 4. In my opinion, running a lot of hsc and bottom out effects the smoothness of the shock and I think I'd be better off running a coil with the proper spring where I can leave the shock settings more open. Maybe I don't have it set up correctly but that's just my opinion based off my experience.

builttoride,

Thanks for the recommendation. Is 550 about spot on for a 200lb - 210lb rider? I run about the maximum recommended sag with the air shock and I'd like to keep it in the same range with the coil. I never had problems pedaling this bike with a lot of sag so I'm looking to keep the ride plush and still be able to manage big hits. Thanks.

·
Go for the throat
173 Posts
Forgot to mention. I'm just nitpicking about the shock. You'll love this bike no matter what you run on it. It's a great design and the most versatile bike I've ridden. I'm just trying to dial it in to my taste.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.