Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what the story with rune & rp23?
Anybody has tried it? I think it would make an excellent shock for the rune.

I am asking because where I ride I have a few quite steep technical climbs, where the 22 front - 34 back combo is more than welcomed.
But I heard that running less than 26 front, causes bobbing. But with the rp23, you just flick the propedal switch on and go up.
Plus you can "push" it and have more bottom out resistance for the harsh landings, so you get the best out of this shock
I currently have a yeti 575 with a pushed rp23 and I am happy with the way it rides with this shock.
Plus, the rp23 is ligher than both the dhx and the isx6.
What's your 2c?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
mns said:
But I heard that running less than 26 front, causes bobbing. ...
Actually not bobbing but pedal feedback; a completely different thing. No need of propedal here. FWIW, i use the 22/34 combo all the time and i don`t feel any annoying pedal feedback. Maybe i am not very sensitive to it since I climb mostly on fire roads.

·
Registered
595 Posts
that could be.
it is actually not bothering me either since i also prefer smooth fireroads uphill, but on techy rooty uphills, the rune really doesn't shine in the 22t granny ring.
other 150mm fullys do that slightly better, but are not as confidence inspireing in the downhill part.... just tried a SC tallboy recently (a little bit unfair to compare those 2 bikes) and it was briliant on techy rocky uphill, compared to the rune...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You can run an RP23 on a rune. it will make the suspension feel a bit more progressive with regular air can, or a bit more linear with high volume air can... personally if I was taking the option, I would go for regular air can if doing XCish rides, or large volume and use some spacers to tune the volume down so that the progression feels good on the rune. I tried it and enjoyed it a lot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all for the answers.
Keith, what do you mean by "using spacers"? decreasing internally the volume, something like sending it for "push"?
Isn't the rp23 a "high volume air shock"?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
i had to do the "spacer" thing on my bike. about as simple as anything to do w/ bike mechanics for a huge payoff. just a strip of pliable plastic about a millimeter plus thick x 3/4 " & long enough to touch ends inside the cannister. ya just remove the can, put in the strip @ the bottom so it won't interfer w/ the port @ the top of the main body. air it up & experiment w/ air pressure for desired sag & trail sections that approach bottom out & adjust the air or strip size accordingly. really easy, free & totally works.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.