Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my rune and love it awsome
it pedals great,weight is good for this much bike,looks bad ass
only been on 4 rides so far but each time i take a jump larger than 2-3 ft the chain gets caught between the tire and the chainstay when it lands hard .ive adjusted the frt derailleur up as much as i could but it still does the same in both the middle and small ring
do i need to run a chain guide of some sort or a smaller frt derailleur made for a dual ring setup like a Shimano SLX M667
does anyone else have this same problem

ihave
race altas crank 22 32 bash
x-9 mid cage derailleur
chain seems to be the right length

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
Just as MaddSquirrel said, you likely need to shorten your chain.

If you can snap a picture of your bike showing the rear derailleur and the chain, we could likely be able to tell you whether or not you need to shorten it.

963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think i fixed the problem by moving the crank over more to the drive side by changing the washers .rode twice since then on the same jumps and it hasnt happened again
ill see next weekend on bigger hits when i do some down hill

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
If you want to check if its a chain issue, just remove your chain and give the jump /drop a try.

If the sound is gone, you know the source.

To see if is the tire rubbing, remove your shock and cycle the suspension to see if the tire contacts anything.

To me it sounds like the chain getting grabbed by the tire and getting a kind of chain suck between the tire and the chainstay. I bet the sound stops as soon as you pedal a bit.

963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
?

It is definitly the chain getting stuck between the tire and the chain stay
it happens for sure if its in the small ring but still happens in the middle ring just not as much the chainline is correct i cant believe that this doesnt happen to other people
Rulz sorry i cant give you a update because i havent had my rune for 2 months still waiting for the frame to come back its being replaced because it cracked i have no idea when i will have it back but ill let you know

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Chain-suck+tire-rub sounds like a good possibility. I just don't get how it's happening. It's definitely happening at the bottom end of the stroke. However, I haven't ridden it enough to fully investigate. I'll snap a pic and see if you pros can determine whether my chains short enough.

Cracker, 2 months waiting?! Ouch.

963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no idea why its taking this long i keep hearing they should have it next week but im almost ready to buy a new santa cruz nomad and sell the rune whenever i get it back. Its riding season with perfect im missing out on some great rides

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.