Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like I am going to be going with an elka rear shock in the near future. My question is how does the bike climb with the elka on there? Is the elka too plush for climbing applications or is the rune designed in such a way as to put my power forward as opposed to up and down bobbing regardless of coil or air rear shock?

HOLLA!!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
the rune has enough anti squat to climb great with the elka. no real bobbing, lots of traction. i run a 1x9 as the vf4b does suffer from some pedal feedback in the granny ring. alleviated by using a 26tooth granny but eliminated by using 1x9. i run a 32 up front with a 12-36 cassette in the back.

the rune has been my favourite bike so far. that's after having an endorphin and a couple of turners and a moment. great overall bike. i've been very happy with it so far. i've had an elka from day one. i have an isx6 that i have yet to see any reason to try on it

·
Gear Whore
1,352 Posts
Hey Qbert...I run a isx6 on mine and love it...but have been thinking about a coil over shock...I would love to hear your opinions if you do decide to test out the air shock. Everyone I know runs one or the other, so not too many people have run both and given their opinions....would be a good thing to hear I think.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is really good news! My next question is what should I be looking at for a spring rate. I am weighing in at about 160-65ish fully geared. I want to try to get it right the first time. Any and all help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
bmxking45 said:
Well that is really good news! My next question is what should I be looking at for a spring rate. I am weighing in at about 160-65ish fully geared. I want to try to get it right the first time. Any and all help is appreciated!!
elka will have a recommendation for you when you place your order. i ordered mine through the guys at dropnzone. they were great to deal with. i ordered mine with the standard steel spring from elka and once tested switched to a ti spring drom diverse. sadly, it looks like diverse is out of the mtb spring game. should be easy to find a deal on a used ti spring in 2.25" length as its fairly common

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Q-bert's got it right.
At your weight, they will probably suggest a 450, possibly a 400. I'm 175lbs sansa gear and ride a 450.

As q-bert said, 1x9 or 1x10 is absolutely the way to go! You can get a casette with a 36 big cog, which helps with longer/steeper climbs. Something interesting I've noticed, is that it's partially the angle of the chain (between chainring and cassette), not just the chainring size, that creates the sensation of chain stretch. 32t single front ring with a 12-36 is a great combo. Also makes for a much better chainline than a 2x9 set-up, when running any kind of chain guide.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already run a 1x9 with an e13 chainguide.

Also I would tend to think that I am an aggressive rider who is handing out drops to my bike on a fairly regular basis. I don't know wether or not that info would affect the proper spring rate I will need.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
bmxking45 said:

Also I would tend to think that I am an aggressive rider who is handing out drops to my bike on a fairly regular basis. I don't know wether or not that info would affect the proper spring rate I will need.
again, all info elka will take into account when you order. drop them an email, they will respond to your questions. i'd still order through dropnzone if you are us based. they have a good relationship with elka.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would think you would want a 400, I'm 195 & Elka recommended 450. I haven't taken it off anything big yet, but the 3-4' to flat drop that would bottom my old bike without fail did not bottom the Rune/Elka at all..

I'm in the US & ordered direct from Elka, they got right back to me & kept me up to date on shipping etc.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
bmxking45 said:

looks like elka would recommend a 400lb spring according to their chart. if you look closely you can see their weight ranges and spring rate on the chart on their site.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/downloads/applications/ELKA-MTB-ApplicationList.pdf

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got my Elka!! Holy guacamole!! This thing has completely changed the feel of the bike for the better!! The things feels absolutely amazing!! Pedals very well!! What it made the biggest difference in is my bunny hopping!! I can hop this thing like its my BMX bike!! The ISX-6 was not a shock that was conducive to my bunny hopping tendencies when I'm on the trails. This thing is going to take my riding to a whole new level!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.