Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been working on this build for a while and posting about it in the Banshee forum but thought it might be nice to share with the AM crew. This bike is replacing an Intense SS that served me well over the past few seasons as a burly AM rig. Everyone has their own idea of what AM is, and that's just dandy. To me AM needs to be ALL mountain - flowy single track, tech climbs and descents, fire roads, drops, DJ's, road gaps, basically whatever happens to be in front of me. So, my build is spec'd accordingly. The linkage design, low standover, short seat tube, and ability to run K9's angle reducer cups were big factors in choosing the Rune. I went with 2 wheel sets so that on the more FR/DH days I wouldn't have to trash my 1750's. Float 36 RC2 handles everything in front of me along with an Elka w/Ti spring to keep the rear wheel tracking. No carbon bars, no 400g rims or 500g tires, actually, the only carbon bit is the headset spacer. I went 1x9 because I just don't mind mashing up the big hills in UT. Besides, FD's get in the way of my toboggans and I'm getting darn close to landing bar spins. I'm particularly fond of the Chromag bars, stem, clamp, and saddle. Seriously, the best looking and performing kit on the market. Anyway....

Surprised to see a sub 31 lb build, no carbon bars or 400g rims -

Really happy with the colors, sometimes it's hard to know how it will look assembled-

Holy slack, 65.5 deg HTA -

45" wheel base, 14" bb, 65.5 HTA, long and slack but not super low -

XTR, Twenty6, and MRP keeping things light -

Possibly the best looking saddle I've seen -

Whip cap! -

Running the bars at full width, parking lot test feels perfect -

Left plenty of cable for X-Ups and bar spins -

Can't wait to get some ride time on the Elka -

The powder job on the Fubars is sick! -

1750's weighed as advertised, Fat Alberts setup tubeless keep the sprung, rotational weight low -

In FR trim, under 32lbs ready to huck!

Deemax wheels and 2.35 Muddy Mary's for FR duty-

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
That thing is effing hawt. I think your camera lens needs cleaning though...it almost looks like the scale reads 30.77 pounds :eekster: .

How are your DT's setup tubeless? Strips or ghetto? Any issues with inflating/tires rolling off/etc?

You set the bar awfully high for FM. ;)

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, 30.77, kinda silly. I have a Joplin for it, so that'll fatten it up a bit.

DT 5.1 (same rim on the 1750's) work very well with the DT tubeless kit. Tried Stans yellow tape only, no luck. I suppose ghetto tubeless w/a 20" presta BMX tube would work well too. I've run non-UST 2.35 Muddy Marys on 5.1's at Whistler for full pinner runs and even a couple of really bad, sidways, landings and never rolled one. Fat Alberts and Nobby Nics work fine as well.

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
Wow, hawt indeed! Normally i'd say that its hard getting a 'real' AM rig meant for hardcore riding under 33-35lbs, but that Rune looks up to the task. I guess the light frame and fork are the main weight savers though.
My last rig and current one are both 'round 40lbs, for AM (i have a twisted Knolly version of AM like you :D ). Its completely feasible to get 'em down to 35, but damn, i don't think i'll be saving up that much $$ anytime soon.
The Rune's are certainly looking like top rigs for the task. Nice geo you ended up with as well. :thumbsup:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
wow! that is BADAZZ! my new bike also adorns chromag parts (post as well though) as they are rad!
nice bike!!!

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PsyCro - frame and shock came in at 7.89 lbs with Ti spring, so yeah, combined with the Float 36, it's a light platform to work with. XTR's at 960g and Twenty6 pedals at 340g really contribute to the overall weight savings.

Jwind - Buried in snow here in UT so no real ride time yet. But, I have plenty of time on similar HTA's. Lean to turn, super stable, and personally, I don't mind it even on slow, techy trails.

Affe - They are 2010's, got an early set.

Here's a pic of some of the new colors -

Attachments

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I've had no luck with the DT tubeless kit

Err said:
Yep, 30.77, kinda silly. I have a Joplin for it, so that'll fatten it up a bit.

DT 5.1 (same rim on the 1750's) work very well with the DT tubeless kit. Tried Stans yellow tape only, no luck. I suppose ghetto tubeless w/a 20" presta BMX tube would work well too. I've run non-UST 2.35 Muddy Marys on 5.1's at Whistler for full pinner runs and even a couple of really bad, sidways, landings and never rolled one. Fat Alberts and Nobby Nics work fine as well.
I've tried sealing up my 5.1's three or four different times with no luck, they always leak around the valve stem, they seal up fine with Stan's standard strips, go figure? I've also got a few sets of the old Maxxis strips which I use on the DT with Halo Freedom's, they work superbly but are heavy, but I have never burped air and I can run down to 20 psi. However some tires are very hard to get on the rim with those strips as they male the circumfrence a tiny bit bigger.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
craigstr said:
I've tried sealing up my 5.1's three or four different times with no luck, they always leak around the valve stem, they seal up fine with Stan's standard strips, go figure? I've also got a few sets of the old Maxxis strips which I use on the DT with Halo Freedom's, they work superbly but are heavy, but I have never burped air and I can run down to 20 psi. However some tires are very hard to get on the rim with those strips as they male the circumfrence a tiny bit bigger.
Really strange as I've been using the DT strips on 2 or 3 wheel sets at a time for a few years now with never a valve stem issue. Wonder if you just had a couple of hosed valve stems? Mostly used with Schwalbe and Maxxis tires.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Impressive. I also like the fact that there's no carbon or stupid light stuff.

Under 32# with a coil over is just sweet and in my book for good enough for all-day riding. Heck, back in the day we used to ride all day with 35# bikes and no travel! :lol:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am digging your build. If i could afford a few more bikes, this would be one of them.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

Yep Warp, I break too many parts to put anything questionable on this build. I'm sure it could go sub-30lbs without too much trouble but from my current point of view, it would be of limited value.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts