Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got experience off run bikes (no pedals) with thier young 'uns. These bikes get your kids into riding bikes without stabalisers ( training wheels), thus improving thier balance. So far so good with my 3 year old, hoping to move him on to a proper bike soon. Has anyone gone down this route?

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Stridersports.com

We are loving ours. Check out their videos. A 3 yo will be balancing within a week. Totally worth the money IMO.

I also have a cheapo bike where I took off the cranks. Nearly as good, but the strider is lower to the ground and they can use it at a younger age.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
phoeneous said:
BMJ, how do you like that wheelset? And why clipless?
The rims are pretty stiff. It's a nice change from my 22mm wide XC rims I used to have. The white gets me a little flak from my riding buds. Too pretty I guess.

My only complaint with the rims is that they don't offset the spoke holes in the direction of the flanges.:confused: They call it symetrical spoke hole placement on the hang tag to simplify build up. It puts a pretty good tweek on the spokes as they exit the nipples and makes a slight creeking sound under power. So far non of my alloy nipples haven't snapped off.

I'm running DT SuperComp spokes. Seems like a good concept. They are 2.0 at the hub, 1.5 in the middle and 1.8 at the nipple. This allows the nipples to have more meat on them than 2.0's would allow. I always snapped my alloy 2.0 nipples under power.

I'm running clipless because I built my EVO up as a "hardcore XC" bike vrs a "freeride type of all-mountain". I find myself doing a fair amount of climbing to get to the drops.

My daughter wants pedals too, maybe next summer.;)

·
:\ ping of death
1,092 Posts
BMJ said:
The rims are pretty stiff. It's a nice change from my 22mm wide XC rims I used to have. The white gets me a little flak from my riding buds. Too pretty I guess.

My only complaint with the rims is that they don't offset the spoke holes in the direction of the flanges.:confused: They call it symetrical spoke hole placement on the hang tag to simplify build up. It puts a pretty good tweek on the spokes as they exit the nipples and makes a slight creeking sound under power. So far non of my alloy nipples haven't snapped off.

I'm running DT SuperComp spokes. Seems like a good concept. They are 2.0 at the hub, 1.5 in the middle and 1.8 at the nipple. This allows the nipples to have more meat on them than 2.0's would allow. I always snapped my alloy 2.0 nipples under power.

I'm running clipless because I built my EVO up as a "hardcore XC" bike vrs a "freeride type of all-mountain". I find myself doing a fair amount of climbing to get to the drops.

My daughter wants pedals too, maybe next summer.;)
I was thinking of their flds23 set but its pricey for my budget. I might just buy the rims, new spokes and have them laced with my current XT hubs. Thx for the info.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Enel said:
Stridersports.com

We are loving ours. Check out their videos. A 3 yo will be balancing within a week. Totally worth the money IMO.

I also have a cheapo bike where I took off the cranks. Nearly as good, but the strider is lower to the ground and they can use it at a younger age.
Hey, thanks for the plug! My 16 month old is starting to ride his Strider. He just started walking. Check the link in my sig. BTW, that first bike is COOL:thumbsup:

·
Registered
692 Posts
garrett1478 said:
LOL that's awsome!

so what do kids do, just use their feet to go/stay up and then hold their feet up once they get going?
yes, you can see some good video on our website www.stridertk.com We just love seeing the grommets get started. The record for the youngest is from the Kona Rep for this area, his daughter got on one at 1!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
surlytman said:
Your LBS prob has an account with Quality Bicycle Parts (most do) have your guy order a Strider through them. I would rather you patronize your LBS!
I am in Canada...I don't think our LBSs deal with QBP. I try and give the LBS business whenever I can but sometimes they make it hard! And with only 2 shops in town, there isn't a lot of choice. I'm thinking I might just buy a 10" kids bike and rip the pedals and cranks off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.