Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you look at the weight of the products of tune I think that they make great products. As a racer I can seriously race there products without beeing worried of breaking something.

So for me there products are great. For others (maintenance, stiffness and price) it maybe isn't.

For exampel my trainingswheels are dt-swiss 240s rear/lefty front with 4.2 rims, laced with comp spokes. They keep rolling forever with no maintenance. My XC-wheels are tune rear/lefty front, FRM 315 gram rims and dt revolution spokes.

The tune wheels are almost 300 gram lighter, are great for racing not good for training.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
I heard Tune makes light stuff but great stuff? :skep:
I think Tune's pretty light an great :thumbsup: stuff.
I have a wheelset with a Tune Kong, and bretty light, stiff and durable.

Tune hemself confirmed me that they will make a Lefty hub on the basis of a Princess hub in alu/carbon (check: http://www.tune.de/produkte/princess.htm :eek: )

It'll bee light, and available in a load of differnet colours :p

Oh yeah, and did I say it 'll be expensive :madman: :D

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nathanbal said:
how light is light? Cannondale lefty hub is already 110g...
do you remember S.Bubka and his records ??

step by step 1 cm more .... here 1 gr less :D

lefty hub: mine for example is under 100 g :thumbsup:

personally i don't like Tune components .

in my choice or hub of my 7000 set , i choosed Extralite on rear ... 198 gr

Tune is 190 gr, ok.... but it's not italian and have no same attractive and performance as Extralite hub .

and now ...with this lefty hub arriving....

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Well it can;t be much lighter than 110gr. There smply would not be enough material in the hub to make it stiff.

What I'd prefer to see is a 20mm hub that can have the right hand side changed to fit into a conventional fork. This will have benefit for Cannondale as well as consumers cos then you can take an AM wheelset off a Rush with Lefty and fit to a Moto simply by removing an adaptor. rough sketches I've made I works out the weight at around 130gr. With some FEA Ithink theres scope for a reduction of a further 15gr.
Now this would be an interesting product. 100gr front hub.....totally uninteresting

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brad said:
Well it can;t be much lighter than 110gr. There smply would not be enough material in the hub to make it stiff.

What I'd prefer to see is a 20mm hub that can have the right hand side changed to fit into a conventional fork. This will have benefit for Cannondale as well as consumers cos then you can take an AM wheelset off a Rush with Lefty and fit to a Moto simply by removing an adaptor. rough sketches I've made I works out the weight at around 130gr. With some FEA Ithink theres scope for a reduction of a further 15gr.
Now this would be an interesting product. 100gr front hub.....totally uninteresting
i already have a 98 gr hub .. hope Extralite can go at 90 !!!

maybe for you .... somebody can found interesting to remove the right side of a Rock Shox fork to have a Lefty....

who knows ???

hope you had in your hand an Extralite hub to see how is made

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
a few grams does not excite me. eliminate the hub completely and I will get excited. 8gr is not even one droppling from a morning crapper.

Extralite parts are beautifully made but they come apart just as beautifully. The weight saving is not worth the "uuum will it fall apart on me today " factor.
Extralite should start a sister comapny called FRAGILE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.