Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'4", 250 lbs and there aren't a lot of XL FS 29ers that I can demo in the area. Before I drop about $4K I want to get some time on the trail with some bikes and see what I like best.

The LBS had an XL Rumblefish 1 that I took for a ride today and it fits my style and trails that I ride and I like it a lot more than my 7 year-old Specialize Epic 26 inch FS bike.

The LBS also carries Niner, and Niner is coming out for a demo day in April. Hopefully they will have a Jet or Rip that I can try.

Are there any other aluminum frame XL FS 29ers that I should be looking at? I may be able to make a drive to a nearby LBS that carries Specialized.

Because of my size and destructive nature, the LBS has recommended against CF frames like the Superfly for a mountain bike.

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
115 Posts
First off I have a RF1 and love it. It'll be hard to find a better bike for the price. You are a big guy like I am and the RF is nice and beefy with good components. Of the Niner series look at the RIP 9 as it is also a tank. Specialized has several 29ers and I would recommend looking at the Camber Pro which is about the same price as the RF but slightly better components. It is a shorter travel bike though. Let us know what you decide!

Todd

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll see if I can track down that Stumpjumper FSR Expert and take it for a ride.

I just ordered the i9 Enduro 29er wheelset for whatever I get as a new ride so now I am committed to getting a new bike!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I ride a Hifi 29er, Wish i got the Rf, but its still a good bike. My riding partner has a Jet. The Jet is pretty sweet, and i want to try a Rip. Ride all of them you can. You have alot of great options. Good luck.

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
I've ridden the 2011 Rumblefish II at a demo last year and I will say it can take a hit. I weigh 230lbs and gave it a night beating and got some air. I did not like the tires very much, they slide out like crazy when you go off chamber, and before this bike I tested a Trek 9.9 SSL with Revolts on and they did a much better job with a lot less rubber.

It was a big change from my normal ride which is a SS hardtail that weighs a lot less then this beast. The Trek employee I talk to said "this is a bike for people who break a lot of things on bikes."

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm also a big guy who's been thinking about the Rumblefish. However, I noticed that the wheels are only 28 spokes, is that going to be be strong enough for us Clyde's? I had been limiting myself to 32 or more in the bikes I'd been considering, in your opinions, is that necessary?

G

·
I'm 205 pounds and have the Rhythm Elites on my HiFi Pro. They work fine but they are a little flexy and have required some truing. For an OEM wheelset, they are pretty decent. The rear hub is 18 POE, which is nothing fancy. They seal up tubeless very easy with the TLR strips and valves and are nice and wide (28mm). The Comps and Elites have sealed cartridge bearings.

They aren't going to compare with any well-built handmade wheels. I have a set of Flows/Hopes that I run and they are great. I've relegated the Rhythms to backup/winter status.

There is a good market for the wheels on here/eBay, so consider removing them immediately and selling them off for $200+ and order up what you really want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.