Votes: 49 44.5%
  • RIP 9

Votes: 61 55.5%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam in the market for a fs bike. Ive posted a thread on this a couple of days ago. I'am looking at maybe a rip 9 or the rumblefish. With the RIP 9 it would cost me almost the same for a frame and fork vs buying an entire Rumblefsh. My question is has anyone ridin a rumblefish that has a RIP 9 and vice verca. Iam curious on the comparison.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
RIP is Solid

I have'nt ridden the Rumblefish. From someone who has cracked many frames, the 09 RIP is rock solid. I don't see my self breaking it. I have owned a Fisher in the past and cannot see the structural strength matching the RIP.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Value

GF 29er said:
Iam in the market for a fs bike. Ive posted a thread on this a couple of days ago. I'am looking at maybe a rip 9 or the rumblefish. With the RIP 9 it would cost me almost the same for a frame and fork vs buying an entire Rumblefsh. My question is has anyone ridin a rumblefish that has a RIP 9 and vice verca. Iam curious on the comparison.
The price of the Rumble Fish is impossible to beat.

Both companies have a rep for frames breaking..........however both companies also have a rep for taking care of their customers.

IMO the G2 geo looks spot on.

·
Registered
614 Posts
So you're saying this shock valving tranforms a single pivot into a superior pedaling bike compared to the latest multi links? Foes failed to accomplish that in how many years of trying?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
you should put pics of both bikes.... you probably could get the niner wfo party pack: for about 2099.00 that includes wfo frame, marzoochi 5.5 inch. fork, xt front derailer and a set of wtb 2.5 kodiak tires. great deal if you ask me, i picked one up!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
SyT said:
So you're saying this shock valving tranforms a single pivot into a superior pedaling bike compared to the latest multi links? Foes failed to accomplish that in how many years of trying?
That is exactly what I am saying. I've ridden a Rumblefish and a R.I.P. 9. The Rumblefish feels totally linear, (caveat- you must have the DRCV set up correctly), while the R.I.P.9 exhibits a non-linear feel throughout its stroke. Not bad, but not as good as a Rumblefish. As I say, both bikes are incredibly awesome suspension rigs. When comparing these, you are simply splitting hairs. ;)

The thing that puts the Rumble over the top is the ABP brake pivot, which makes for much better braking and helps to stiffen the rear triangle all at the same time. It really is better and noticable.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now with the Rumblefsh 1 & 2 what is the difference in shock front and rear. I noticed the fish 1 has the RP2 for the rear and the front is a FOX F120 RL 29, 120mm travel. And the fish 2 has thw RP23 for the rear and the front is a Fox F120 FIT RLC 29, 120mm travel, With the different set ups in shocks will that make a big deal or not really not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Not a huge difference between the RP2 and RP23, but IMO, a HUGE step up in the front, going from the non-FIT RL to the FIT RLC.

Whether that, and the other various upgrades that come along with it, makes it worth the $$$ is up to you.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
SyT said:
Uhhh??? The Foes FXR is one of the best climbing 6" travel bikes I've ever ridden!!! Check out this thread...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=319912

As to the Rumblefish vs. Niner, I have no clue and I'll admit it. Many of my friends ride Niners and love them.

I myself ride an Orbea Alma 29er HT and a Titus Racer-X 29er. Titus builds a capable bike and the new Rockstar looks pretty sweet....

http://www.titusti.com/2010/bikes/rockstarti.php

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
I had an '08 RIP (in '08) and now I have a Rumblefish 2.

My "side-by-side" comparison is off by two seasons, but the basic impression remains: Both bikes ride great and are aimed at the same batch of terrain. I'm sure you could do well with either if they suit your style.

I'm sure my RF is a better bike than my RIP was. But much of that is in the 15mm TA fork and tapered steer tube, neither of which were on my RIP (Manitou Minute 120). ABP and the RP23 DRCV shock are definitely good things, but I'm not saying I had any problem with the RIP under-BB linky thing with RP23.

I liked that Niner isn't a part of a major industry player, cause it's cool to have something that make me feel "special". I've always been a bit turned off by the Fisher marketing, but I like the resources that Fisher can bring to the table. Since I'm seasonally employed by a Fisher dealer, my own choice is made. And I'm happy about it. The bike's a kick to ride. The only problem I've had is that I'm spending more time inside cowering and avoiding the snow than I am riding.

Maybe just pick the one you can get in your favorite color and call it good. Me, I really like the no-color of my matte grey/black RF 2.

--Greg

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I would get the Rumblefish I would get the 1. But I would ask me lbs if i paid the difference could I get the fish 2 shock package. With the components Iam not worried about those as I would transfer all my components from my current ride to the new one. When I bought my Cobia the lbs said that I could upgrade to the x9 components but I had to pay the price difference between the x5 and x9. So maybe they would do the same with the shock package.

·
Registered
614 Posts
DaGoat said:
Uhhh??? The Foes FXR is one of the best climbing 6" travel bikes I've ever ridden!!! Check out this thread...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=319912

As to the Rumblefish vs. Niner, I have no clue and I'll admit it. Many of my friends ride Niners and love them.

I myself ride an Orbea Alma 29er HT and a Titus Racer-X 29er. Titus builds a capable bike and the new Rockstar looks pretty sweet....

http://www.titusti.com/2010/bikes/rockstarti.php
I should clarify. Can't get bump compliance AND no bob. Actually I couldn't get good compliance period. I've owned both versions of FXR (05 and 06 2:1) Plenty of kickback through the pedals as well.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
That is exactly what I am saying. I've ridden a Rumblefish and a R.I.P. 9. The Rumblefish feels totally linear, (caveat- you must have the DRCV set up correctly), while the R.I.P.9 exhibits a non-linear feel throughout its stroke. Not bad, but not as good as a Rumblefish. As I say, both bikes are incredibly awesome suspension rigs. When comparing these, you are simply splitting hairs. ;)

The thing that puts the Rumble over the top is the ABP brake pivot, which makes for much better braking and helps to stiffen the rear triangle all at the same time. It really is better and noticable.
I assume it feels like any other platform type valving. (ie, not activated by low speed (compression) or low amplitude bumps) Am I off base here??

·
Registered
204 Posts
GF 29er said:
If I would get the Rumblefish I would get the 1. But I would ask me lbs if i paid the difference could I get the fish 2 shock package.
I was mulling the same thought process as you and realized that when it is time to service the fork, I can just send it into FOX and have them put the FIT damper in at the same time. I don't feel that their is too much difference in the shock to worry too much about upgrading it. The RP2 rides really plush in the rear and the fork performs pretty well even though it is the older open bath design. The built in compression of the RL is enough to keep the fork from brake diving too much and I never use the lockout anyway.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
GF 29er said:
Going by your handle of "GF 29er"......gee.....which way you gonna go?;)

I have not taken a test ride on a Rumble. I haven't even seen one live.

I can attest to the new RIP 9. An absolutely amazing stiff frame and the CVA is pretty darn incredible compared to other things I've ridden or tested in the past 3 years. Of course I had/have the CVA on the JET as well.

I will mention the clearance issue on the RIP 9 for the 42/44T big ring (mainly an XT issue if you are running those cranks). There is an entire thread about it on the Niner board and if you are seriously considering a RIP, make sure you read that thread to know what is involved. Too summarize, with certain cranksets, when in the middle ring and the suspension was kicked in, if you were really hammering on the cranks the chain could jump up and get stuck between the large ring and the chainstay yoke because of such tight clearance between the big ring and the yoke. Niner wanted everyone to be able to fit the largest honking tire in the rear that is possible, and so the clearance had to give somewhere.

Solutions have been to get Bruzed's middle and outer 30/40T rings for the 104 BCD pattern, run a 2 x 9 drivetrain with a bash ring or stay away from XT. I just swapped out my 44T ring on the XT to a 38T I had and all is fine and dandy.

Not a deal killer, but if you run XT cranks and are considering the RIP - I just wanted to point that out to you. Pictures, solutions and what not on that linked thread above.

BB

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
SyT said:
I assume it feels like any other platform type valving. (ie, not activated by low speed (compression) or low amplitude bumps) Am I off base here??
Yes, you're off base.

Curnutt shocks (or Progressive, or anyone else who licensed that technology) pedal great, but feel harsh on small bumps.

The Fox version of "platform" damping is much more subtle (at least in recent iterations).

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
SyT said:
Here is my take on what the DRCV damper feels like. You get on and start riding and the damper starts working. Typical small bump compliance found with several designs. No big whoop. I get on it and accelerate. Here is where it felt sluggish, but that has to do with more than the damper here. Not a fault of the damper. Things get more interesting on the trail. No change in feel in the damper. Still feels totally plush as at the beginning on the smooth fire road. Okay, then things get really rough. Big step up climbs, rock gardens, trail points downward, speed increases. Still no change in the feel at the rear. Plush, smooth, and almost as if nothing is going on back there.

Now of course, I could hear the wheel banging around off stuff, I could feel the bike moving up and around, but I am specifically talking about how the suspension movement felt. In fact, I was convinced during my ride on the Rumblefish that I was not getting full travel because I was expecting some ramp up towards the end of the travel. I didn't really get that feeling.

When I stopped at the end of it all, it was apparent by the rubber O ring that I had gotten all the travel.

Platform feeling? No, none. Does it feel totally efficient? No, and especially so on very smooth to moderate trails. It feels a bit piggish there. But this was coming off the racy set up of the Superfly 100, which I had ridden the day before. The thing with a Rumblefish- and others are reporting similar things- is that the rougher the trail, the better it climbs and feels on the cranks. I cleared a couple of big step ups on a trail in Park City that would have stopped me dead in my tracks on most any other bike.

That's my take on DRCV. It is an amazingly linear feeling, no platform perceptable damper.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BruceBrown said:
Going by your handle of "GF 29er"......gee.....which way you gonna go?;)
The handle was just something quick.

At this point Iam looking at the $$$ amount. The RIP is a nice piece along with the fish. The Fish has a lifetime on the frame which is a plus where the RIP doesn't. If I buy the RIP I will need to spend more to get it going as for the fish its just a matter of swapping out parts from my current GF to the other and I have 2 good rides. And I have 2 very good lbs shops that have these bikes or they can get them. Now its just a matter of time for the lbs to get a fish in for me to test ride. That will be key.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.