Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, thanks to everyone who helped me out with feedback on the Rumblefish and other full suss 29ers. Your input helped nudge me over the edge and commit money to a bike I hadn't ridden.

I've been riding 29er HT's for years now- Black Sheep (broke, POS, long story), Monocog (great ride for the money), custom Dean/Wily (nice lively steed), and finally a Sinister Simon Bar (funnest by far with dialed handling and a 120mm fork)- and I'm convinced that 29ers are the best fit for my riding style and terrain here in Pisgah NF.

Prior to ordering the RF, I demoed a HiFi back to back to back to back with a pimped out Turner RFX on a local loop. The RFX was very nice, but I just never felt as comfortable, confident or as fast as I did on the HiFi, up or down. While I liked the HiFi a lot, I have been spoiled by 120mm and the QR15 up front, and I could also feel the rear shock ramp up on bigger hits. The Rumblefish addressed both those concerns and I had my local GF shop (thanks Liberty) track down a 17.5" one state over.

They had it built up for me just in time for a 13" dump of snow we got, but I was lucky enough to head east for the family Christmas and got in two good rides (30 miles or so) on varying terrain.

From Rumblefish

I made a few changes from stock

-swapped out my tubeless setup I9's from the Sinister

-tossed on a short 60mm stem, which I like much better than the stock 90, but I'll prolly swap for a 70. Yes, I'll cut the steerer tube once the cockpit is fully dialed!

-put on SLX cranks, which I'll soon run as a 2x9 with a bash guard

-ordered some ESI chunky grips to replace the cheese grater stock units

-ditched the ginormous 36 tooth cassette, though it will likely end up on the Sinister 1x9.

-Joplin adjustable post is on the way

She's sitting right at 29lbs in this configuration. Entirely reasonable, I think.

From Rumblefish

I can't say I have a definitive opinion on everything yet, but the bike's a ton of fun so far. I've never named my bikes, but I kept thinking I needed to call her Honey. Yes it's cheesy, but the bike just flows up, down, over and around everything so smoothly it's lovely. And the level of traction is better than anything I've ever ridden, but without feeling slow or inefficient. The suspension tracks the terrain perfectly- while climbing I never seem to lose grip and while bombing down and slamming on the brakes all's right with the world.

From Rumblefish

The DRCV is very nice and works as advertised with no noticeable "transition" when the second chamber opens up. Just a smooth, linear stroke and full travel when set up with the included sag gauge.

From Rumblefish

Once I put on the shorter stem the bike was great in the tight twisties while remaining stable and confidence inspiring when things opened up. I didn't feel any flex anywhere- it was precise and stayed where I pointed it.

I really love my Sinister- so much that I sold my custom steel Dean/Wily- but I wanted something to ride all day long in rough, rooty, rocky, steep country with a little less punishment. I have yet to the RF out on any BIG rides yet, but I'm pretty confident the bike will be a great addition to the quiver. I'll keep you posted and get some action shots when I'm not riding solo...if the snow ever melts.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Looks very nice, I wasn't aware they made the Rumblefish in a 29er. Or do I have it backwards and the Rumblefish is only in the 29er.
Looks like a real solid bike.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Nice!

Singletrack Pig said:
First off, thanks to everyone who helped me out with feedback on the Rumblefish and other full suss 29ers. Your input helped nudge me over the edge and commit money to a bike I hadn't ridden.

I've been riding 29er HT's for years now- Black Sheep (broke, POS, long story), Monocog (great ride for the money), custom Dean/Wily (nice lively steed), and finally a Sinister Simon Bar (funnest by far with dialed handling and a 120mm fork)- and I'm convinced that 29ers are the best fit for my riding style and terrain here in Pisgah NF.

Prior to ordering the RF, I demoed a HiFi back to back to back to back with a pimped out Turner RFX on a local loop. The RFX was very nice, but I just never felt as comfortable, confident or as fast as I did on the HiFi, up or down. While I liked the HiFi a lot, I have been spoiled by 120mm and the QR15 up front, and I could also feel the rear shock ramp up on bigger hits. The Rumblefish addressed both those concerns and I had my local GF shop (thanks Liberty) track down a 17.5" one state over.

They had it built up for me just in time for a 13" dump of snow we got, but I was lucky enough to head east for the family Christmas and got in two good rides (30 miles or so) on varying terrain.

I made a few changes from stock

-swapped out my tubeless setup I9's from the Sinister

-tossed on a short 60mm stem, which I like much better than the stock 90, but I'll prolly swap for a 70. Yes, I'll cut the steerer tube once the cockpit is fully dialed!

-put on SLX cranks, which I'll soon run as a 2x9 with a bash guard

-ordered some ESI chunky grips to replace the cheese grater stock units

-ditched the ginormous 36 tooth cassette, thought it will likely end up on the Sinister 1x9.

-Joplin adjustable post is on the way

She's sitting right at 29lbs in this configuration. Entirely reasonable, I think.

I can't say I have a definitive opinion on everything yet, but the bike's a ton of fun so far. I've never named my bikes, but I kept thinking I needed to call her Honey. Yes it's cheesy, but the bike just flows up, down, over and around everything so smoothly it's lovely. And the level of traction is better than anything I've ever ridden, but without feeling slow or inefficient. The suspension tracks the terrain perfectly- while climbing I never seem to lose grip and while bombing down and slamming on the brakes all's right with the world.

The DRCV is very nice and works as advertised with no noticeable "transition" when the second chamber opens up. Just a smooth, linear stroke and full travel when set up with the included sag gauge.

Once I put on the shorter stem the bike was great in the tight twisties while remaining stable and confidence inspiring when things opened up. I didn't feel any flex anywhere- it was precise and stayed where I pointed it.

I really love my Sinister- so much that I sold my custom steel Dean/Wily- but I wanted something to ride all day long in rough, rooty, rocky, steep country with a little less punishment. I have yet to the RF out on any BIG rides yet, but I'm pretty confident the bike will be a great addition to the quiver. I'll keep you posted and get some action shots when I'm not riding solo...if the snow ever melts.
As a former owner of two Fisher bikes that I hated................I said never again:mad:

However this bike looks like a killer deal and it seems that the G2 geo is spot on. Looking forward to more of your impressions.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,886 Posts
teamdicky said:
Just curious... Who else made a Rumblefish? My friend had a Mountain Cycles Rumble, but I can't think of another R-Fish.
It was an "interesting" BMX brand a few years back made by Bill Grove of MTB fame (the brand name was Rumblefish, not a particular model).

Of course, everyone ripped the name off of a unique early 1980's movie starring the brother of that guy on Entourage :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
STP- you free to ride Sunday? Depending on the weather, I'm either going to stick local, head down to Paris, or up to Wilkesboro.

It'd sure be nice to try spinning that bouncy thing around.

Why I post this on a forum rather than calling, I have no clue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.