Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summary: What should I do about my 2012 Fox Float RP2 shock?

I recently bought a nice 2012 Rumblefish Elite with low miles. It's a huge upgrade for me.

While looking for suspension setup info, I discovered the rear shock (Float RP2) is a concern. People speak of "once a year" mandatory rebuilds. I want to avoid potential weeks of downtime. The shock seems to hold air fine (200 psi when I checked) but it does have a light film of oil on the piston (apparently not necessarily a concern?), and the seals have some years on them.

I have done a lot of reading but still don't have a path forward. I understand the Trek-specific 7.25" x 1.875" size makes finding a replacement tricky. If not a better replacement, it seems like I might want to pick up a used RP2 or RP23 as a spare, to avoid downtime? How about alternatives?

The Manitou McLeod has been recommended as a replacement in numerous posts, but given the available sizes, how do I fit it (7.5" x 2.0" being closest)? I have looked hard but haven't found a thread that documents it. I see 2016 Fox Racing Float EVol Re:Aktiv shocks are available in the 7.25x1.875" size. Since the RF is not a floating shock setup, it seems unlikely the valving and would be appropriate? The description of my bike says it is a "Float" but I don't think it is in the true sense of having pivots at both ends of the shock. Am I mistaken?

This isn't my forever bike, and I do not have upgrade fever. I just want to ride, and keep my eyes open for deals on a better bike. I'm 190 lbs dry, and mostly ride single track trails in Northern Lower Michigan.

The front fork is a Fox Evolution Series 32 Float w/DRCV, CTD. Hopefully no worries at that end?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The description of my bike says it is a "Float" but I don't think it is in the true sense of having pivots at both ends of the shock. Am I mistaken?
Sort of mistaken. "Float" is just a branding/marketing name from Fox. What your bike has is a trunnion mount on the shock body. You'll need that on whatever you pick up as a replacement, in addition to the sizing issue.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have an older Rumblefish, last time I sent the shock to Fox, it was gone about a week. You may just need to budget a few days off the bike? The odd size and mount mean if you'd like a spare you're probably looking at finding one that's being parted out off of a wrecked/broken bike.

Among other things, Fox upgraded the boost valve (whatever that means) and replaced the body, so they at least seem to have parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this covered by warranty? I just picked this bike up but the blue lever on it goes all the way around rather than stopping on a setting. Just curious if Fox rebuilds them under a warranty
Thanks
J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.