Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my I9 single speed rear hub but may need to build a hub that can take a full cassette for an upcoming mtb trip. Besides I9 and Chris King what other high engagement rear hubs need should I consider.

Reliability is a must since this trip will be long with no support.

FWIW this will be a 29er wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Full, or could you do with 5 or 6? You could do like a lot of us 29er riders do and use the SS hub and fit as many cogs on there as it will allow, it's one way to save a few $$ if you only need a few gears. If not I'm very happy with my Pro2 rear buh, but it is their SS version TBH. Had a few of the pawl springs break, shot them an e-mail and they mailed me a complete new set, so good service too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would think a full cassette would be necessary since I will be going single up front and the trip is going to be riding the Continental Divide. With the climbing going into the hundreds of thousands of feet of climbing I want to make sure I'm ready for the trip of a life time. If I don't use some cogs than all the better but I rather have a "few aces in the hole"!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
If you're going to be doing a load of climbing then the gears you'd want would be the bigger cogs and then whatever after that. I have mine setup using a 32-11 XTR cassette right now, use 6 of the cogs (until I can get to the machine shop to get a little work and then it'll be 7) and I get 32-16. Before I ran a 34-11, had it machiend and ran 7 cogs giving me a 34-15 range. This is 9spd, if you went 10 then you could get closer ratios.

Juanmoretime said:
I would think a full cassette would be necessary since I will be going single up front and the trip is going to be riding the Continental Divide. With the climbing going into the hundreds of thousands of feet of climbing I want to make sure I'm ready for the trip of a life time. If I don't use some cogs than all the better but I rather have a "few aces in the hole"!
 

·
Master of None
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Hadley. Great sound and a Ti freehub body. King is for bling.

FWIW I have a Hadley singlespeed hub with 6 cogs, 32-12. The cogs are removed from a LX cassette and reindexed to match the shift ramps, discarding a couple of the inside cogs.
 

·
Master of None
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
ncfisherman said:
Shows what you know....
Wow! Would you insult someone like this to their face? I don't think so Mr. E-Bully.

Chris King has long shown form over function. Their lame o-ring on their headsets and the aluminum freehub body are prime examples.
 

·
mountain biker
Joined
·
535 Posts
presslab said:
Wow! Would you insult someone like this to their face? I don't think so Mr. E-Bully.

Chris King has long shown form over function. Their lame o-ring on their headsets and the aluminum freehub body are prime examples.
how is an aluminum freehub body for bling? Nobody sees it.
 

·
Master of None
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
slyfink said:
how is an aluminum freehub body for bling? Nobody sees it.
The aluminum freehub body saves a few grams at the expense of longevity and robustness. This is form over function.

This is my opinion, and I don't need to insult anyone else to state it, either.
 

·
MTBR Member
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
presslab said:
Wow! Would you insult someone like this to their face? I don't think so Mr. E-Bully.

Chris King has long shown form over function. Their lame o-ring on their headsets and the aluminum freehub body are prime examples.
The reply was fitting, given your "king is for bling" blanket statement. It shows you don't know much about the internal differences between a King ringdrive hub and pawl design hub.

Now the lack of compression ring on the headsets - poor design, I'll give you that. But, we're talking about hubs here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I've had the same set of king hubs since 1999. They were classic hubs. Got the rear converted to ISO disc and it now runs on my wifes bike (my race bike for all intents and purposes.) These hubs have been completely and utterly bomb proof. If worried about the freehub wearing just get the steel version. They're function far outweighs the form.
 

·
mountain biker
Joined
·
535 Posts
presslab said:
The aluminum freehub body saves a few grams at the expense of longevity and robustness. This is form over function.

This is my opinion, and I don't need to insult anyone else to state it, either.
well, that would depend on what someone's function is wouldn't it? If someone wants a light weight hub, it's good that they have the option of an aluminum freehub body isn't it? If someone wants a more durable hub, they have the option of running a steel freehub... that would be function... and form! have your cake and eat it too!
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
presslab said:
Wow! Would you insult someone like this to their face? I don't think so Mr. E-Bully.

Chris King has long shown form over function. Their lame o-ring on their headsets and the aluminum freehub body are prime examples.
Since when is aluminum more bling than titanium...:skep:

Besides, King has a stainless steel option
 

·
Master of None
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
A lot of King zealots here, I see! Two people now have mis-quoted me with regard to "bling" and the form over function of the aluminum freehub body. I never even said that bling was a bad thing, well, is it?!

My opinion is that you pay a premium for King components because they are known as "blingy," and it's no doubt they are very good looking. But the King hub costs 20% more than the Hadley. Obviously you guys think it is worth it becuase you bought the King hub; I on the other hand do not.
 

·
transmitter~receiver
Joined
·
9,334 Posts
presslab said:
My opinion is that you pay a premium for King components because they are known as "blingy," and it's no doubt they are very good looking. But the King hub costs 20% more than the Hadley. Obviously you guys think it is worth it becuase you bought the King hub; I on the other hand do not.
So you think it costs King the same to manufacture their own bearings and ring drive than it does for Hadley's off-the-shelf bearings and pawl system?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top