Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
RonSonic said:
When you're blasting down a trail that's overgrown on both sides and see a gap in the foilage large enough for your head, it is guaranteed that a spider found it first.

Ron
haha, so very true. There is a trail here in florida that has a section called "Spider Kingdom". I tried counting how many webs I hit but gave up after I reached around 80. Finally ended up riding while holding a treebranch out in front of my bike. After that ride I swore that spiders will always be my enemy and any chance I have to kill one I take it.

these bad boys are all over the place

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
And if you come to the trailhead and your riding buddies tell you to lead them, it's probably not because they think you're a good rider. :D

Also don't feel bad if your riding buddies start rolling around on the ground laughing when they see you do the "spider dance". They can't help it. You'd do the same!! :p

And the most important rule of all: If during the spider dance the dancer starts shouting "get it off, get if off" don't. No matter what.

At this stage of the performance the dancer can get quite violent, and going near him may result in serious injury. Just let him be until he finishes!! :D

Dave.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Luckily here in Reno we don't have to worry much about tree spides for lack of trees and to hot, but we have to worry about doing the snake bit dance, or black widow run of life.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
FloridaFish said:
Good grief those are the spiders i kept hitting in Mobile, AL a few years ago...those fools were everywhere.........after 10 miles of those and the summer heat we said funk this and went to Hooters.... :)

Ya the spiders r thick here in MS too, but mainly after the rain...never be the first thru a day or so after the rain

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
A very pretty creature though, in a macabre sort of way...

maybe I should get my bike custom painted like that! But seriously, you've just detered me from ever taking an MTB trip to Florida, Mississippi, or Alabama! I HATE SPIDERS!!! Pretty much just one of those unreasoning human foibles. But I really do dislike them. I can look at them, I can even be within a foot or so of them. Just don't let them touch me! Oh well, guess I stick with the mid west and desert south west for my riding! :D I can deal with snakes, and for some odd reason I have no fear of Tarantulas (I've even handled them before), but spiders like the one in the picture would send me up a wall!

Good Dirt

·
2,712 Posts
RonSonic said:
What inspired this was a ride on a trail at Boyette that is well named, Spider Berm.

Lots of gopher tortoises out there, must be mating season...

Ron
Cool, I haven't made it to Boyette yet, Alafia is too fun and too close. Spider Kingdom is on the way to the I-75 overpass at Santos. The one time I rode it was my first and last time on that trail.

We get some monster orb weavers up here at San Felasco during the summer, but that first cold snap has pretty much knocked those buggers out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
FloridaFish said:
We get some monster orb weavers up here at San Felasco during the summer, but that first cold snap has pretty much knocked those buggers out.
Ha! I wish! I nailed one on Cellon Creek the other day...smack dab in my mouth. Not just the web, but the spider, right on my lips! But they have decreased, I'll give you that. One is too many though!

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Low_Rider said:
...Also don't feel bad if your riding buddies start rolling around on the ground laughing when they see you do the "spider dance" . They can't help it. You'd do the same!! :p
Dave.
Technical specs for the "Spider Dance":
arachnidiot (rk'nd'-t)
1. (n.) A person, who, having wandered into an "invisible" spider web begins gyrating and flailing about wildly. See also: arachnijig

arachnijig (-rk'njg)
1. (n.) The involuntary dancing motion one makes when one accidentally walks into a spider web, or is told there's a spider on them. See also: arachnidiot

·
2,712 Posts
eto said:
Ha! I wish! I nailed one on Cellon Creek the other day...smack dab in my mouth. Not just the web, but the spider, right on my lips! But they have decreased, I'll give you that. One is too many though!
Yikes, I guess there haven't been many riders out there. Were you on the back half of Cellon? I usually find the spideys on Tung Nut, Canebreak 8, or Live Oak, most of the other trails have enough peopel riding to keep the clear.

I gotta get back out there soon, I'm goin crazy with studying right now.

·
Registered
751 Posts
i've often wondered how spectacular my crash would be if a giant spider decided to hitch a ride on my head while i'm bombing down a trail and i start freaking out. thankfully i have yet to find out...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TrekFan said:
i've often wondered how spectacular my crash would be if a giant spider decided to hitch a ride on my head while i'm bombing down a trail and i start freaking out. thankfully i have yet to find out...
I almost lost it once, riding along collecting webs and one of our giant grasshopper / locusts flew in from the side landed on my face. He jumped off and onto my hand as I was reaching up. Didn't crash or nothing, but dang did I wobble for a long time after that.

Once caught one of those grasshoppers in the front spokes on my road bike. Yech.

Ron

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The "Bee in my helmet" variation dance

My favorite is the "Bee in my helmet" variation of the spider dance. Opposed to the clawing motion of the spider dance, the bee dance often starts with a rapid un-clicking of the helmet and throwing it to the ground and running while swatting at head. Always classic.

·
I throw poo
429 Posts
FloridaFish said:
haha, so very true. There is a trail here in florida that has a section called "Spider Kingdom". I tried counting how many webs I hit but gave up after I reached around 80. Finally ended up riding while holding a treebranch out in front of my bike. After that ride I swore that spiders will always be my enemy and any chance I have to kill one I take it.

My buddy got one of those lodged in one of the vents on his lid when we were riding in Tallahassee, he did one of the best spider dances I've ever seen. His dance did have the "Bee Type" helmet toss, and something that was disturbingly similer to a post-orgasmic shudder when it was all over.

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
"Cob Web duty"

lovemonkey said:
My buddy got one of those lodged in one of the vents on his lid when we were riding in Tallahassee, he did one of the best spider dances I've ever seen. His dance did have the "Bee Type" helmet toss, and something that was disturbingly similer to a post-orgasmic shudder when it was all over.
When one of us gets pushed to the front of a summer morning ride you are being called to do "cob web duty". We take turns to lessen the stress. basically, if you get small ones you stay in front but if you land a nice big juicy one you can "tag" out/back.
:D

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
I like spiders. Many have extremely intricate markings and colorful patterns and are quite beneficial in the garden as they eat many insects that feed on plants. I'm always impressed by the complexity of the webs they weave as well. That said, I'm not crazy about swallowing a mouthful of spider goo while huffing and puffing down the trail. :eek:

Have I ever mentioned how much I like bats... ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.