Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried rucking as cross training during the off-season? I was reading about it and thought it might be something I enjoy. I don't really like running at all, and it doesn't snow enough here to snowshoe or xc ski.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I took a risk.

Funny story about loaded backpacks. Last fall my wife was pregnant with our first, pregnancy is basically training with a load backpack on all the time. Because of Covid, she did no gym work. In the spring, after giving birth, her lean muscle quad girth was the highest it had been in 15 years of training.

So maybe a better strategy than a loaded backpack is getting knocked up.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a risk.

Funny story about loaded backpacks. Last fall my wife was pregnant with our first, pregnancy is basically training with a load backpack on all the time. Because of Covid, she did no gym work. In the spring, after giving birth, her lean muscle quad girth was the highest it had been in 15 years of training.

So maybe a better strategy than a loaded backpack is getting knocked up.
My other goal in life has been to be the first biological male to get knocked up, but it hasn't worked out so far. Do you think getting really, really fat would be a good substitute? That would make me fast in the spring, right?

Rucking as an activity is kind of weird and seems to attract wannabe military and survivalist types, but when my family hikes for example I do enjoy the challenge of being the one to carry the pack which is probably 25 or so pounds. I thought it might be fun to do in the winter just for something different and probably good for bone density, but don't know if it could be detrimental to cycling in the spring somehow.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Rucking as an activity is kind of weird and seems to attract wannabe military and survivalist types
I don't want to knock anyone's stuff they like, but I sort of agree. It comes across to me like fake or forced and you are imitating an actual pack that has actual things in in it that weigh something. And I notice that usually when someone I know posts about it or some challenge they are "doing" they are definitely the hyper social media attention starved folks. But like I said, to each their own.

As someone who has suffered through multiple ACL reconstructions (skiing I'm looking at you) I'm not inclined to do anything that adds extra weight that I don't need. I'd rather take a 50 mile ride if I am looking for a challenge.

·
Formerly of Kent
14,154 Posts
As someone who has done that as a job for good portion of my adult life, no, I have no intention of doing that "for funsies".

Unless you're doing it for hours and hours, it's not really going to do much for you compared to riding your bike. Will you get blisters, abrasions and pains in areas you didn't know existed? Yes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd recommend squats, deadlifts, and lunges in the gym over carrying a heavy pack. If you want to hike and backpack do it with lightweight gear, you will put less wear and tear on your knees and ankles and it's more enjoyable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Has anyone tried rucking as cross training during the off-season? I was reading about it and thought it might be something I enjoy. I don't really like running at all, and it doesn't snow enough here to snowshoe or xc ski.
Most of my riding crew, including myself, backcountry ski or splitboard in the winter, which I guess is kind of like what you’re talking about.

We wear 10-20lb packs full of food, water, and avalanche tools, and basically hike up a 1000-3000’ mtn and then ride down, sometimes 2-3x. It’s fantastic cardio and works your entire body. While not really cycling specific, it’s damn good for maintaining aerobic capacity and muscular endurance.

I’m not a big fan of the gym for building endurance strength. It’s great for general conditioning and injury prevention when done correctly but doesn’t translate to a whole lot on the trail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.