Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with daylight savings coming to an end, if I figured it was time to bust out the bigger guns. Everyone seemed to enjoy my sharing of the Wall-E Dual Ostar light (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6262966), so I thought I'd share Wall-E's new barlight companion, Rubix.

For the design, I'm using (4) P7 D-Bin (900 lumens each theoretical) emitters, a hipFlex driver from Taskled, and Ledil Boom lenses. The lens choice comes from alot of experimenting to see which patterns I liked best. And since I already have a 2,000 lumen helmet spot light, I wanted Rubix to be really floody. I ended up on deciding to go with (2) smooth spot lenses aimed 10 degrees higher up than the (2) medium lenses mounted below the 2 smooth spots, which gives a great flood from close to the tire all the way out 30-40 feet or so.

The design stage:
Symbol

Space Animation Automotive window part Graphics Fictional character

Drawing Animation

Technology Space Engineering Visual effect lighting 3d modeling

Took a while to hack these parts out, but I'm pleased with the outcome:

Front cover completed:
Metal Chemical compound Still life photography Silver Natural material

Back cover completed:
Metal Grey Rectangle Aluminium Nickel

All parts completed:
Product Technology Still life photography Metal Silver

Time for a little color (anodize). Here are some of the parts in the acid bath, getting the ano treatment:

Trigger Plumbing fixture Revolver Shotgun Plastic

Parts all anodized:
Technology Still life photography Plastic Electronic component Electronics

Assembly stages: It was an absolute beyotch trying to get all the wiring crammed up inside the housing. You can see the voltage regulator and thermostat used to control the active cooling circuit mounted to the mid section of the housing with the P7's are mounted to:

Technology Electrical supply Wire Cable Electrical wiring

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Back housing assembly completed and LED's mounted using AAA:
Electronic device Technology Amber Light Wire

Ledil lenses installed. Two boom Smooth spots on top, two boom mediums on the bottom:
Automotive lighting Headlamp Light Hardwood Automotive light bulb

I used O-rings and glass lenses from DX to seal from the elements:
Eye shadow Tints and shades Cosmetics Shadow Box

Completed pics!!!!!
Still life photography Camera Cameras & optics Gadget Silver

Product Audio equipment Electronic device Technology Light

Cable Wire Still life photography Telephony Telephone accessory

Yeah that's the fan in the back. Active cooling again.... my trademark :D
Technology Machine Camera accessory Cameras & optics Still life photography

And here's how it looks mounted onto the stem faceplate. I have a knob which unscrews and the entire light comes off real quick. I designed the bracket so that I could set my angle and not have to re-align it every time I put the light on the bike. Dowel pins line up the light mount to the stem faceplate, so it doesn't rotate:

Bicycle accessory Light Motorcycle accessories Motorcycle Metal

Bicycle accessory Technology Electronic device Cable Wire

And shot of the duo tag team (Wall-E on the left, Rubix on the right). 5,600 lumens total:

Electronic device Technology Automotive lighting Light Still life photography

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sooooooo, this thread is useless without beamshots right? Right?!

Here they are.... all pics taken at "standard MTBR settings" of ISO-100, F4, 6 Seconds.

I set the hipflex to multimode, so you could get the picture for all 5 levels. The max power is set to the hipFlex maximum of 2.8 amps.

Control shot:
Black Black-and-white

Hipflex level 1:
Nature Text Atmosphere Darkness Light

Hipflex level 2:
Nature Text Darkness Trail Grass family

Hipflex level 3:
Nature Text Atmosphere Darkness Light

Hipflex level 4:
Nature Vegetation Text Atmosphere Natural landscape

Hipflex level 5:
Nature Vegetation Photograph Natural landscape Text

And just for $hits and giggles, here's Wall-E and Rubix on together (5,600 lumens):
Nature Vegetation Natural landscape Photograph Plant community

Questions? Comments? Do I win (for now)?

·
Registered
757 Posts
GOOD FRIGGIN APPLESAUCE!!!!!!!! I went blind just thinking about the amount of light your pouring onto the trail- have your started fires as you pass by dry brush?

Beautiful machine work and design. Golf clap for you bro!

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
I think that might be the most technically amazing light I have ever seen built here. The attention to detail is second to none and the finish product looks like it should be on display, it is almost too good to get covered in mud while biking. Congratulations on some stellar craftmanship

·
Registered
763 Posts
WOW, I would like to think that the commercial stuff out there is as good and had as much design thought, since your using non bleeding edge Led's but that is truly art and the build quality is tops.

·
Austin, TX
89 Posts
The attention to detail, especially inside, is incredible! Form and function are top. Maybe MTBR should make a new sub-forum called "Artisan Lighting" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
716 Posts
ocean breathes salty said:
I think that might be the most technically amazing light I have ever seen built here.
The attention to detail is second to none and the finish product looks like it should be on display,
it is almost too good to get covered in mud while biking. Congratulations on some stellar craftsmanship
..... +1, absolutely stunning! and the anodizing is beautiful :thumbsup:

·
www.hahntronix.com
252 Posts
Excellent looking light. The anodizing looks really slick.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

I'm assuming you drive the P7s in series? Any interest in a custom designed buck driver that could drive your P7s in a 2s2P configuration at 2.8 amps each P7 (or a bit more)? Allows for lower battery voltage. Or are you using a boost driver? What is the interior dimension of your driver space. My driver is roughly circular and fits in a 1.25 inch diameter space.

How do you like the BOOM reflectors compared to the Fraens you used on the Wall-E. I've built a few P7 lights using the Fraen OSTAR reflectors you used and was pleased with the results. How do the BOOMs compare? I've tried the MCE version and been a bit disappointed, they just produce a wall of light. Your beam shots look awesome, but the center looks kind of washed out. Do you get a center spot?

Mark

·
Go faster!
1,131 Posts
OK YOU WIN, I SURRENDER!

It is perfectly built! Congrats you have great skills.

What battery pack are you using to power all that?

hmm why didn't you use a quad OSTAR? more lumens!!

Do you have any plans for the XP-G?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts