Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out here you guys,
I herd somewere that if you rub rubbing alchoal on your rotor that it will stop weird noises that are common on disc brakes. Is this true or some bull crap?

GOAT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
ITS true

goat said:
Help me out here you guys,
I herd somewere that if you rub rubbing alchoal on your rotor that it will stop weird noises that are common on disc brakes. Is this true or some bull crap?

GOAT
Hi, rubbing alsohol is used to clean rotor and brake pads , its the best way to clean your brakes, It might stop weird noises, ... But everybody here uses to clean their brakes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
You want to use denatured alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.
Denatured is a solvent for shellac and for degreasing. Not to come in contact with skin.
Rubbing is diluted and may not even contain the solvent form of alcohol.
 

·
Amphibious Technologies
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
shiggy said:
You want to use denatured alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.
Denatured is a solvent for shellac and for degreasing. Not to come in contact with skin.
Rubbing is diluted and may not even contain the solvent form of alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol is about 70% isopropanol and 30% water while denatured alcohol is mostly ethanol with some methanol mixed in. Methanol is mixed with ethanol so people don't drink it since it causes blindness. Pure ethanol is 200 proof alcohol.
 

·
3 "fiddy" for short
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
Rubbing alcohol is about 70% isopropanol and 30% water while denatured alcohol is mostly ethanol with some methanol mixed in. Methanol is mixed with ethanol so people don't drink it since it causes blindness. Pure ethanol is 200 proof alcohol.
Yummy!! :D
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
goat said:
Help me out here you guys,
I herd somewere that if you rub rubbing alchoal on your rotor that it will stop weird noises that are common on disc brakes. Is this true or some bull crap?

GOAT
I've noticed you need to do a little break-in (or burn-in) on your brakes again after cleaning them with alcohol.

After a good nice cleaning with alcohol, you're also removing part of the deposits of the pads on the rotor... it feels like a new brake with the lack pof power and some squeals included, but once you burn them in again, the brakes will work wonders. No more squeals and with a grabby, snappy feel.

And it's so freaking cheap... maybe that's why you don't see "bicycle specific" brake cleaners.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top