Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently and very sadly watched a GT RTS go by on eBay for dirt cheap with not a single bid, but I missed that the auction was only for three days, and I assumed it was for 7. However, that really got me wanting an RTS really badly. I just cruised through the post your GT thread and marveled at the RTS beauties in there. If anyone could post any information about the history of the RTS I would appreciate it, but what would really make me happy is if anyone has an RTS for sale (frame or complete bike) or knows where one is available. I would really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. The first time I saw one I thought it was rather insignificant looking, but the more I see them the more I need them. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
First produced in 1993 with an aluminum front triangle and chromoly steel rear end...RTS-1 and 2 were offered. Starting in 1994 they were switched to aluminum front and back and lower priced models were offered also Team RTS, RTS-1, RTS-2 and RTS-3. The RTS's life span ended after the 1996 model year as other full suspension designs began redefining the full suspension mountain bike. The RTS still has a surprisingly huge following to this day even though it's travel is limited in comparison to today's full suspension offerings. Here's a catalog page from year 1...1993:

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Awesome! And thank you for finding this! The RTS that was on ebay got relisted, and I snatched it up for $150. My friend will actually be the owner of that one once she pays me for it. Her first mountain bike and her first GT! I still am looking for my own, though.

Edit: Would you be able to post that catalogue page again with better resolution? I am not even able to read it. Thanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the RTS from eBay. Anyone know the year, model, etc...? I am excited to get it and to "test ride" it!
:cool:

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Looks to be a 1993 model year due to the black chromoly rear. Could be either an RTS-1 or 2 depending upon the spec. Also looks to be a smaller 14.5 or 16" frame.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a small 17" frame. The girl who will be riding it is 5'2" and if I end up getting it for whatever reason, I am only 5'6", so I could work with it. Thanks for telling me the year, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking it is a 94', because it has the Rear Brake Rocker (which still kicks ass compared to V-Brakes) and the zoomie cable noodles midway on the downtube. I'm thinking RTS-2, because I think all the 3's were painted, although I could be wrong. It doesn't have the aluminum rear or external Noleen reservoir, so not a RTS-1. 14.5" frame, center to center (GT Defined size differently than others).

Here is my wife's bike on this link, from 1993. Not exactly stock. Recently did a minor rebuilt with cables, pads, and put on some proper Mag-21s. Just enjoyed some riding today as a matter of fact. Good change of pace from my LTS on tight trails.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php/photo/284629/size/big/cat/2/perpage/30

I need to upload new photos some day.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
If it's got a steel rear end it has to be a 93. All 94 and laters were aluminum in the rear. Looking at the catalogs will show you that. The RTS-1 and 2 from the first year which was 93 both had chromoly rear ends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts