Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new set of wheels and took the SLX RT66 rotors and put them on the new wheels.
I want to use the old wheels for the rare occasion that I'm running around on streets. I have a set of old tires and just need to put a set of rotors on. This is only for light street use.
Will a new set of RT56 rotors work perfectly when swapping wheels or is there a difference that will screw up my pads?
The RT56 is almost half the price of the RT66 but I want to be able to switch the wheels without messing with the pads. Seems like a waste to put the RT66 on if I don't have to.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
The RT56 rotor sees a material quality downgrade from the RT66. The RT56's lower hardness means that they don't recommend its use with metallic pads. If you're running resin or organic pads, your plans are fine. Some pads, s uch as Shimano pads, have their pad compound type printed on the backplate. Not sure about durability differences, as I don't check rotor thicknesses regularly, but I wouldn't be surprised if the RT56 wears thin sooner.

The difference could be as simple as the material not getting heat treatment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.