Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Mastodon is the fork of choice. I have a Magnum that I run with 27.5x3.8 and dig it. But the RST renegade is so so cheap, I am intrigued as I would like to run 29+ and bigger fat tires than my current set up allows. Any feedback from long term users?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know the Mastodon is the fork of choice. I have a Magnum that I run with 27.5x3.8 and dig it. But the RST renegade is so so cheap, I am intrigued as I would like to run 29+ and bigger fat tires than my current set up allows. Any feedback from long term users?
I've been running a Renegade for going on two years now and have had absolutely no problems having used it hard in all kinds of nasty conditions. I recently obtained a wheelset for running 29 X 3.0 on one of my fat bikes using a Renegade and it works great.

For some comparison, I have a 29+ bike equipped with a Magnum and it pains me to admit that I have a slight preference for the fat bike set up for 29+. I'm giving the fat bike to my kid (ulterior motive.....he's moving to Anchorage and it'll be waiting for me to use when I visit)

I'd really like to have the justification to buy a Mastodon but since I've been fully satisfied with the performance of the Renegade, it's difficult to justify the purchase when it's more than twice the price. (found @ < $300 shipped on ebay)

If it's a cost effective means for you to get into plus, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've been running one for a couple weeks or so. I have a bluto that likes to leak air, but the price was right, so I tried the Renegade. The fork has great clearance for width(lower legs are 6" apart), but I was disappointed to find that the Showshoe XXL does not clear the arch at the top. It will turn, but with much resistance. Dropping the pressure to sub 1 psi gets it close, but still some rub. I have to swap to my carbon fork for that tyre, which is a nuisance, but whatevs.

I found that the recommended pressure was way too low for my liking. It suggested 80 psi, I think, but I've been running it at 150. Might drop it down a hair. The rebound adjust works. It was a bit bouncy with minimum rebound setting. Dialed it up all the way and it went away. Ended up somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range. While I don't think the damping is anything special, it runs thru it's travel smoothly, holds air, and gets me some cushion on the fatbike. For the price paid, it's doing it's job. I didn't run them back to back, but believe it's stiffer than the bluto I ran before. The lockout works and is very firm. Almost rigid.

I don't regret it yet, but long term is the real test.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys know if the 100mm can be changed to 120mm? I emailed RST with no answer, great sign. hopeing a spacer could be removed to get the 120....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have that fork and actually like it also.... the problem is the company, I emailed them asking where I can get parts to do a lower leg service and no reply. I can't find a service kit being sold anywhere for it. Heard similar experiences from others.

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Whoa, I missed this the first time I read the post (and sorry this is slightly off topic), but a Magnum clears a 27.5x3.8" tire? What setup, would like to hear more about that

·
Registered
214 Posts
I thought RST made a junk fork in 1997 and offered piss poor customer service. It looks like nothing has changed 22 years later. I’m surprised they are still in business.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a Magnum Comp 27.5+ . It fits the Hodag 27.5x3.8 mounted on a stans Hugo (50mm internal). Works great - and love it from spring to fall - but miss the fatness of my fat bike. Now considering 29+ for spring-fall and fatter setup for winter....

Anyway thanks to those with good comments or experience.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Can get a renegade off aliexpress for under $300 usd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been running one for a couple weeks or so. I have a bluto that likes to leak air, but the price was right, so I tried the Renegade. The fork has great clearance for width(lower legs are 6" apart), but I was disappointed to find that the Showshoe XXL does not clear the arch at the top. It will turn, but with much resistance. Dropping the pressure to sub 1 psi gets it close, but still some rub. I have to swap to my carbon fork for that tyre, which is a nuisance, but whatevs...

I don't regret it yet, but long term is the real test.
Thanks for feedback. About to pull trigger....I want to run a 27.5 vanhelga. It’s about 30.5”...think that will fit ok? Sounds like the xxl is closer to 31.5”...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm very interested in this thread. Having a Ritchey Commando I'm stuck needing a straight steerer fork.

Should I upgrade to a suspension fork I think I'm limited to Chinese eBay sets like Pasak or the RST Renegade. Getting them in the UK is the major sticking point.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
X-post. Should've posted here, I guess...

The renegade is preforming fine. But I cannot recommend it. I bought it in November, rode it for most of two months, less a couple weeks I rode my carbon fork. I rode it brand new, out of box, and after a few weeks, it started getting stictiony. I took it off in mid January, and removed the lowers to clean and lube. I found the bottom of the stanchions to be corroded/pitted.

I cleaned and greased it (it still had much factory grease). Put it back together, and it functions fine, but I fear it's not long for this world. The lowers are being eaten away, presumably by road salt.

I'm not sure what grade of material these things are made from, but I've never seen this level of degradation on any fork, regardless of age. This thing looks hit after two months. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Should also mention that I have to remove the thru axle with knipex pliers, in addition to the lever, to avoid breaking it. Even though I swap wheels every couple weeks, and grease the thru axle every time I do it, it corrodes where the end caps are and becomes extremely difficult to turn. Again, something I've not experienced, even with a bluto that lived on the back of my car for multiple seasons.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Model?

Should also mention that I have to remove the thru axle with knipex pliers, in addition to the lever, to avoid breaking it. Even though I swap wheels every couple weeks, and grease the thru axle every time I do it, it corrodes where the end caps are and becomes extremely difficult to turn. Again, something I've not experienced, even with a bluto that lived on the back of my car for multiple seasons.
That is serious quick corrosion. Which model? All black legs?

·
Registered
Bucksaw
158 Posts
Looks like the DOT loaded up the acid instead of the de-icer.
Seriously;if that's happening to your fork what's happening to car components like wheels?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It was the rlt version they were blowing out at the house. My friends say what do you expect for $250? I'm pretty sure Walmart is full of bikes with throw away forks that hold up better. I'd expect a basic fork with basic damping that is competently constructed.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts