Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 IH Maverick Trail that I am upgrading . It has a RST Gila T6 fork, compression settings only no rebound. I would like to go with something that has both compression and rebound capability. I am a 230 lb. rider. What fork would you suggest for the Iron Horse? PS I don't want to spend a fortune I just want something that will hold up , it doesn't matter if air or not. Wardie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RST Gila T6 upgrade

I weight 240 lbs. so I need something study and dependable. Mostly trail riding Intermediate level stuff. No big jumps or drops,. I was thinking of a Rock Shox Dart 3. Anyone have experience with this shock? On sale through ebay for $139 and free shipping. I'd like to stay around $250 or less for the fork . Need some help on this. Wardie

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Wardie, your best bets are something a bit more robust than the dart. For that price, you have a lot of options out there.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-MAGUR...ryZ36135QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Marzocchi-...2QQihZ020QQcategoryZ58085QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In that price range, I would stay AWAY from manitou, as the splices and such are crap.
The lower end RS stuff is OK, but you might be able to score a reba for the price range you are in.
A older fox would work wonders too.
Anyways, fox/marz/rs - which ever you choose, you will notice a huge upgrade in performance over that stock fork.
I would go for an AIR fork so that you dont have to spend for a xfirm spring.
bigger riders benefit from a thru axle, but that is out of your budget for now!

·
Registered
471 Posts
For under $250 I would look at the Rock Shox Tora line. You can get the coil Uturn and adjust the travel to work with the bike. They have 32mm stanchions and offer rebound and compression (motion control or Turnkey) and lock out. Should be able to get the 302 model for around $200.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
3 solid recommendations

RS Tora-32mm stanchions are ideal for your weight. Buy the best model in that line you can find with your $250.

Marzocchi MX Comp-Year in, year out a solid performing fork

Magura Asgard-German engineering, not a plastic part to be found on it. Stiff for 30mm stanchions. Takes a while to break in but by all accounts, plush when it does. This is your best bang for the buck option by far.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.