Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to mountain biking and have recently bought a used Trek 4300. It came with an RST Gila T5 fork (80mm). After taking a few rides and doing some research, I realized that this fork is basically junk.
What would be a suitable replacement fork for me? The cheaper the better (college kid budget), as long as it's better than what I have. Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Current thread on the same page as yours should cover it

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=685015
Thanks. I saw that thread, but the fork I have now is only 80mm. What is the most travel I could upgrade to without throwing off the geometry? Also, I was looking for something cheaper. $100 or less, if possible, because I'm still pretty new to the sport.
Thanks for the help.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
offrdjeep87 said:
Thanks. I saw that thread, but the fork I have now is only 80mm. What is the most travel I could upgrade to without throwing off the geometry? Also, I was looking for something cheaper. $100 or less, if possible, because I'm still pretty new to the sport.
Thanks for the help.
Used would be your best option at $100, though a Rock Shox Dart 2 or Marzocchi 22 R are minor improvements since they provide an oil damper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Used would be your best option at $100, though a Rock Shox Dart 2 or Marzocchi 22 R are minor improvements since they provide an oil damper.
That's what I'm looking for, thanks! I'll search used ones, too. I know $100 won't get me much, but I don't want to throw much money into my bike yet as I may want to get a better one down the road if I stick with this.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You might also consider a rigid fork. It's not as crazy as it sounds, and if you get something like a Surly or Kona fork, or something used, they're quite cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.