Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to mountain biking as well. I recently picked up a rusty Specialized Hardrock Sport 2006 for $30 from a friend.

The RST Gila Plus-T6 shocks they came with are very evidently bottom-of-the-line shocks. When I got them, I disassembled them completely, cleaned and regreased everything......there was very little rust on the top of the stanchions, but other than that, they were pretty rust free. Both sides of the fork were identical.....springs on both sides.

After a thorough cleaning, and adjusting the preload to maximum softness, the shocks are very firm, almost rendering the shocks useless. My conclusion was that the springs are just too hard. My question: would it be "okay" if I just removed the springs from one of the sides? In other words, would the shocks self-destruct if I did this?
Also, if I were to buy new, softer springs, where would I buy them?

Just to preempt some replies:
I know the shocks are crappy. I can't buy new ones (the bike was $30, and I'm a high-schooler without a job). If there isn't really a cheap solution, I can ride the bike as is.

Thanks,

Henry

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Actually, my sons bike came with a RST Gila fork. I put in a softer spring, which helps a lot. The key problem with that fork is the heavy dampening. The best set-up was a medium weight spring (for him) but with lots of preload to try to speed things up.

Also, keep the stanchions clean. I would pry the seals open a bit and drip wet-chain lube down there to help reduce stiction. I think it is really hard to open that fork up as well. Hopefully this will help.

The fork is never going to be great but ride it. A lot of us grew up with rigid front ends, so welcome to the club! :)

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Thanks Vespasianus! Where did you get the replacement springs?
I actually had a bunch of springs laying around from old forks. They were actually for some old Rock Shock Judy fork. My son was only about 100 lbs at the time, so I used a single spring, with a little piece of elastomer and this was good enough.

I would recommend taking the spring out and taking it to a LBS and see if they have anything that matched the length of that spring.

My wife dumped all my old stuff, otherwise I would have sent you something...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.