Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1189 Posts

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
Damn! Can't wait to see it coming together!

I did something fiscally irresponsible today! I ordered a Mayor frameset... I look forward to riding 5.05's this winter.
Why is it irresponsible? You never know when your going to die, mine as well have fun while you can..

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's now official! My Ti Sergeant, Manitou+ Fork, and Mulefut wheels are on the way!!!!

Yowee!
I am heading out East for the weekend. I am planning on a swing through Toronto to ride a TI Sergeant on Monday. I too would lean toward the Manitou over a Rockshock fork. However, my dislike of Rockshock comes from a Sid I had like 10 years ago. Nice to see he gave you the option.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am heading out East for the weekend. I am planning on a swing through Toronto to ride a TI Sergeant on Monday. I too would lean toward the Manitou over a Rockshock fork. However, my dislike of Rockshock comes from a Sid I had like 10 years ago. Nice to see he gave you the option.
Today's Rockshock's are nothing at all comparable to what they were 10 years ago. The 'Pike' is an incredible, problem free solution. Three of my buddies run them, problem free, great adjustment.

I myself have been running on Bos forks, and ONLY Bos forks for the last 4 years. They blow everything else out of the water in terms of 1. how smooth they work, 2. How very low their maintenance schedule is [once every two seasons..if not more], and 3. Their adjustments actually 'do' what they're supposed to do, aka : they ACTUALLY WORK.

Fox, to me is garbage. Fox shocks and forks are crap out of the box, and only come alive AFTER you send them to a tuner. If you doubt this, then you have never felt the difference between how a Fox fork or shock 'feels' / 'works' AFTER it has been tuned. By comparison, 'Bos' forks feel like they have already been to a 'tuner' straight out of the box.

If I could get my hands on a 29+ Bos fork I will definitely do so. For now, I had to save some $$$ due to the fact that I utterly blew through most of my budget in order to wrangle me a Ti frame!!!

I myself will NEVER buy a new Fox product ever again. But keep in mind Brother that 'I' tend to be pretty picky about Fork and Shock function....having spent many years Club Racing Road-Race Motorcycles [Yamaha / Ducati]. I set up all of my friends suspensions because my road racing experience translates well to mountain bike sus. The problem people have when it comes to mtb sus. set up, is that people tend to 'judge' the bike set up by how it feels in the garage. Most people tend to under dampen the rebound to the extent that they will never---know---how GREAT it CAN feel to ride a bike properly damped.

Good Luck on your potential Sergeant purchase!!!!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Oldinsloe, I think you'll be in for a great surprise! I can't begin to tell ya how much I love my Sergeant! Even if he does shout "Ten-Hut" from time to time! The performance is very playful, while being very good at long rides and climbing is awesome. No two ways about it, the bike is just plain great performance.
For the dough the Sergeant is a far better value than most others in it's class, hands down.

Today's Rockshock's are nothing at all comparable to what they were 10 years ago. The 'Pike' is an incredible, problem free solution. Three of my buddies run them, problem free, great adjustment.

I myself have been running on Bos forks, and ONLY Bos forks for the last 4 years. They blow everything else out of the water in terms of 1. how smooth they work, 2. How very low their maintenance schedule is [once every two seasons..if not more], and 3. Their adjustments actually 'do' what they're supposed to do, aka : they ACTUALLY WORK.

Fox, to me is garbage. Fox shocks and forks are crap out of the box, and only come alive AFTER you send them to a tuner. If you doubt this, then you have never felt the difference between how a Fox fork or shock 'feels' / 'works' AFTER it has been tuned. By comparison, 'Bos' forks feel like they have already been to a 'tuner' straight out of the box.

If I could get my hands on a 29+ Bos fork I will definitely do so. For now, I had to save some $$$ due to the fact that I utterly blew through most of my budget in order to wrangle me a Ti frame!!!

I myself will NEVER buy a new Fox product ever again. But keep in mind Brother that 'I' tend to be pretty picky about Fork and Shock function....having spent many years Club Racing Road-Race Motorcycles [Yamaha / Ducati]. I set up all of my friends suspensions because my road racing experience translates well to mountain bike sus. The problem people have when it comes to mtb sus. set up, is that people tend to 'judge' the bike set up by how it feels in the garage. Most people tend to under dampen the rebound to the extent that they will never---know---how GREAT it CAN feel to ride a bike properly damped.

Good Luck on your potential Sergeant purchase!!!!
My 36 Talas has been going since new in 2009 with no issues and is still silky smooth. My 4X bike has had many years of Keystone runs as well as Valhalla season pass since it opened as a bike park.
IMG_0058.jpg
This little fellow is very agile and built to take the abuse!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oldinsloe, I think you'll be in for a great surprise! I can't begin to tell ya how much I love my Sergeant! Even if he does shout "Ten-Hut" from time to time! The performance is very playful, while being very good at long rides and climbing is awesome. No two ways about it, the bike is just plain great performance.
For the dough the Sergeant is a far better value than most others in it's class, hands down.

My 36 Talas has been going since new in 2009 with no issues and is still silky smooth. My 4X bike has had many years of Keystone runs as well as Valhalla season pass since it opened as a bike park.
View attachment 1078196
This little fellow is very agile and built to take the abuse!

Nice ride Wade!

As for me, my freeride bike is now gone : Knolly Delerium T. Still have the Chilcotin, but not for long in all likelihood. Regarding Fox products : When I shell out $1,300 for a fork that boasts to be the best, I EXPECT $1,300. worth of excellence, and this excellence, to me, mainly has to do with adjustment viability. Well, never has any Fox fork passed the test. Yeah, they offer ample 'clicks' for Compression, Rebound, slow, fast, ...problem is... I EXPECT to 'feel' / notice a difference at a margin of every two clicks. Not so with Fox. More like a very 'mild' difference with every 6 or 7 clicks ---regardless of what I'm adjusting.

With Bos, you FEEL and NOTICE a REAL difference with every two clicks of adjustment. And the ONLY time I've experienced this with a Fox product ---is AFTER it's had a $300 dollar tune by a tuner like Push etc. THIS--is not satisfactory to me.

But again, I did say I was on the picky side. ...Picky meaning : If you have the balls to charge me such an exorbitant / wallet draining price for your product, then it SHOULD pass muster on ALL accounts and MATCH that price. Fox does not do this. ..Ohlins does this. ..Bos does this. ..Penski does this. As of late, Rockshox seems to come pretty close. ..I'd have no problem and voice zero complains --IF-- Fox's prices were HALF, literally, what they dare to charge...and mind you, usually, when it comes to forks and shocks, I only buy 'thee' top offering / highest model. ..But heck, if you're happy with what they've given you Wade...good on you Man. With 'me', I deem it as my right, nay, my obligation to be somewhat of a 'dick' when someone dares charge me a 'dick' price. ...The higher the price I'm forced to pay for something that I expect to be 'thee' best offering, all the MORE inclined I am to pick it to pieces. ....Might have something to do with the fact that I come from a Product Design backround.... Blah, blah...

On another note, this is what's on the way for Sarge :

Sram XO1 Shifter pod
Sram X1 cogset [10/42]
Sram X1 Rear mech
Sram XX1 chain
3.0 Chupacabra's (900 grams per)
Mulefut Wheelest
Manitou 29+ Fork
Race Face Turbine Cinch crankset [w/direct mount 30t (for now)]

Plan to run my Hope Brakes with Steel braid lines, ..but had to order a new line for the rear due to the size requirements of the Sergeant frame.

I'll also run my Enve Carbon bars with Straightline shorty Stem

May try running it without my dropper for a while just to see if I really need it on this bike...?...? Otherwise my KS Lev is ready for deployment...and works flawlessly.

Couple of surprises I'll save for later!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The only fork that a never revalved has been the 36. The Manitou is gonna be the second the I don't need to revalve.

I'll never let go of my beloved little Banshee. He's just too fun to play with! I paid 1500 for the bike following Interbike 2008. The rune was a demo bike at the show and I managed to get a village deal. That price wouldn't cover the retail on the frame shock and fork. Size medium and works so well for Valhalla. Valhalla has very nicely done trails that are semi groomed. There are so many booters that a run is tiring but worth every second it lasts!

Sarge is wearing his Nobby Nics for an adventure ride planned for tomorrow. The tires just look so mean! Alex and I agree that the NN's are like riding on velcro.

I so rarely ride Sarge with his seat all the way down I don't know if a dropper is on the radar. I never ride the seat at roadie height because it's in the damn way when I try to play. I have ridden many years this way and it's where my muscle memory is programmed. I can still bust a cadence of 195 with it there so good to go. Cruising cadence for me is 130-160 and it keeps my junk knees happy. Perhaps if I find a dropper that doesn't let the seat wiggle, I'll become more interested. Somehow the dropper post brings back memories of the ole height rite spring from the late 80's.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I set up all of my friends suspensions because my road racing experience translates well to mountain bike sus. The problem people have when it comes to mtb sus. set up, is that people tend to 'judge' the bike set up by how it feels in the garage. Most people tend to under dampen the rebound to the extent that they will never---know---how GREAT it CAN feel to ride a bike properly damped.
Care to offer a layman's guide to fork set up for us?

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Read the manual on the fork, set it's sag as recommended and work from there.

One thing about fork setup is compression damping. If you are consuming the entire travel of the fork the compression damping is set too light and/or air pressure too low. Rebound should not make it feel as though you are being ejected after a deep compression of the fork.

The time for fast rebound is on washboard surfaces. Slow rebound will get into a "Static lockout". The fork never recovers before the next hit and stays down part way in it's travel and thus doesn't compress and rebound as it should. On average rides you will want the rebound slower so the fork doesn't tend to eject you.

It does take a little time and trial and error on getting the adjustments made. It's better to make one adjustment and ride and make another adjustment. this way you know what changed and can resolve it as you progress.
You can set the sag as you prefer it later, just use the recommendation as a baseline to get started.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
Ti Sergeant Frame, wheels, and fork arrive tomorrow!
I suggest you park yourself in the driveway with a coffee and wait for the man in brown to deliver.. God knows they always try to get out of delivering the big boxes by saying you weren't home..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I suggest you park yourself in the driveway with a coffee and wait for the man in brown to deliver.. God knows they always try to get out of delivering the big boxes by saying you weren't home..
You're so right man! I've already got a lasso ready to go just in case he tries to make a fast break.

cowboy with lasso cropped.jpg

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
LOLOL!!!

Scrool's not the only one JONESIN!!! My Mayor is due too!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Keep getting drawn back to this thread. I think it's a combination of Banshee's lust for them and the anticipation on Skrool's TI build. Either way I've had a battle in my head between a Sergeant or plus wheelset for my already tricked out fatty. I'm blessed to have such problems!

61 - 80 of 1189 Posts