Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1189 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wasn't aware the Sergeant could accommodate 29+. Is that only for ti-frame models? or applicable to the standard aluminium? If common to the aluminium, I will go buy the Sergeant. I was torn between this and something like the Stache 7 which takes both sizes.
According to Alex the owner of RSD, the Sergeant can be run 27.5 plus, 29er, or 29+. If set up as 29+, the bottom bracket height rises by 10mm. This is fine by me, as I'm sick and tired of pedal strikes where I do the majority of my riding here in Bellingham.

Here is the pic sent to me by Alex of a Sergeant set up as 29+. I posted it earlier but here it is again. There's no difference between the specs for the Ti and Alum...just a drop in weight and of course some nice Ti-'give' to the back end.

20160616_092325.jpg

Others might be bothered by this setup thinking it might be too short a wheelbase, or the xtra 10mm rise in bb height, but my style of riding is mostly super fast going uphil, and moderate on the downs. My jumping and freeride days are over...lost interest, and also have a former back injury that only flairs up if I start riding too aggressive on the downs... I'm more into all day rides in the saddle, lots of climbs, lots single track, mid size jumps are ok, but no more big stuff.

...So for me the 29+ Sergeant will be perfect. Alex talked me out of the Big Chief 29+ and pushed me toward a Sergeant with 29+ setup...as I'm 5'8" and the Sergeant will end up being more manouverable for me.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I wasn't aware the Sergeant could accommodate 29+. Is that only for ti-frame models? or applicable to the standard aluminium? If common to the aluminium, I will go buy the Sergeant. I was torn between this and something like the Stache 7 which takes both sizes.
Slam the sliders all the way back...

·
Rider/Builder/Hacker
422 Posts
There's no difference between the specs for the Ti and Alum...just a drop in weight and of course some nice Ti-'give' to the back end.
This doesn't match what Alex told me regarding questions I asked about geometry earlier this week:
"Thank you for your email.
That is correct. The Ti version is 66.5, while the Alu is 68.
The wheelbases for medium are different for both
Alu – 1124.8 shortest and 1136.8 longest
Ti – 1158.5 shortest and 1171.5 longest

The aluminum bikes are in stock and the Ti frames are arriving tomorrow
Let me know if you have any other questions

Alex | RSD Bikes"
Based on the claimed 29+ compatibility, I'm assuming this is achieved with the dropouts in the rearmost position to gain the additional clearance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This doesn't match what Alex told me regarding questions I asked about geometry earlier this week:
"Thank you for your email.
That is correct. The Ti version is 66.5, while the Alu is 68.
The wheelbases for medium are different for both
Alu – 1124.8 shortest and 1136.8 longest
Ti – 1158.5 shortest and 1171.5 longest

The aluminum bikes are in stock and the Ti frames are arriving tomorrow
Let me know if you have any other questions

Alex | RSD Bikes"
Based on the claimed 29+ compatibility, I'm assuming this is achieved with the dropouts in the rearmost position to gain the additional clearance.
Good to know. I didn't ask Alex this particular question, I was more concerned about what to do considering my height. I had no interest in the aluminum frame and was only interested in the Ti, so maybe that's why.

I wonder what reason there was for the design difference????

·
Rider/Builder/Hacker
422 Posts
Good to know. I didn't ask Alex this particular question, I was more concerned about what to do considering my height. I had no interest in the aluminum frame and was only interested in the Ti, so maybe that's why.

I wonder what reason there was for the design difference????
I didn't ask, because I had assumed the TI geometry table had some typos, based on the AL & SS frames being identical.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does anyone know what the warranty is on RSD bikes...? For the cost of the Ti frame I'm kinda expecting it to have a strong warranty. Ti frames have been known to crack, it's not common, but it does happen...just wanting to cover all the bases before I make my final decision on my build. I sure do wish I could test ride one of these before committing.

BansheeRune : in on of your earlier posts you said that this bike 'wheelies' easier than any bike you've owned. I'm wondering if you think that will make it hard to keep the front end planted on techy climbs...which I do a fair amount of here in the PNW...?...?

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not in the least. Sarge climbs like a pro. It also makes an easy reposition of the front effortless. Consider that part of "gettin trialsy". I find that Sarge feels the most comfortable to manual or wheelie. There's nothing more euphoric than a proper manual, nothing!!

I'll follow up with Alex on the warranty question. I believe he would gladly take care of any issues as he's very intent with the biz.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
172 Posts
Based on what ?

Based on :

1. There are no Big Chief Ti's in stock

More importantly :

2. I'm not a 'tall' person, not short, but not tall. 5'8"
3. My riding is quite varied and includes a heck of a lot of tight / techy stuff and according to Alex, the 'Sergeant' is more nimble when set up as a 29+...especially for someone my height.
4. The Ti Sergeant can be set up three ways : As a 27.5+, as a regular 29er, and as a full 29+ with 3.0's.

I plan on running it with 2.8's as a 29er+

So this is why I say that 'Alex' talked me into running the Sergeant over waiting for a Big Chief Ti. Makes more sense for me, and there's a great chance that I WILL in fact build up a set of 27+ wheels and use it that way too...

Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tidbit :

Trek suspension engineer, Ted Alsop, puts it this way :

“27.5+, ideally, has the diameter of a 29×2.3 tire, but to get there, you have to give it a really tall sidewall. The bead-to-bead measurement–that’s the actual width of the tire if you pressed it flat and measured from one bead to the other–is about 15 millimeters wider than a 29+ tire. Relative to the rim, the 27.5+ tire is actually taller than the 29+ tire, which is why we’ve found that the 27.5+ tires that we’ve ridden have a lot more of an un-damped, fatbike tire bounce to them and don’t corner as well at lower pressures. The 29+ tire, which is actually a lower profile, shorter sidewall tire, has less of that uncontrolled bounce to it.”

If I can find a way to afford it, in the near future I may run my Sergeant with 27.5+ wheels too. .. But for now, I want to ride it 29+. I'm figuring 2.8's.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I can't bring myself to give up any air volume. It just feels amazing with the pressure @ 10-12 psi on some of my favorite full throttle rail trails.
3.0 for a good time!
Gotta ask, what kind of riding style are these peeps? Clydesdales or light riders?

My approach is to ride light and avoid the basher style. So yeah, tires inflated for sand hitting the hardpack are gonna be fatbikish and squirmy.

No need to hurry with the B+ wheels as long as you have the 29+ going, blast the miles and squirrel away some dough for the other wheels.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can't bring myself to give up any air volume. It just feels amazing with the pressure @ 10-12 psi on some of my favorite full throttle rail trails.
3.0 for a good time!
Gotta ask, what kind of riding style are these peeps? Clydesdales or light riders?

My approach is to ride light and avoid the basher style. So yeah, tires inflated for sand hitting the hardpack are gonna be fatbikish and squirmy.

No need to hurry with the B+ wheels as long as you have the 29+ going, blast the miles and squirrel away some dough for the other wheels.
I totally see your point. I just thought I'd share some alternative input from an actual designer on the Stasche...which is a GREAT bike actually.

I ordered a set of Bontrager Chupacabra 3.0's for my Sergeant and they're on the way.

Everything should be here ready for assembly some time mid to late next week!

I'll post some pics of things as they arrive! A handful of people here in Bellingham are anxiously awaiting this bike! Heck...even my landlord is waiting to come and see the Ti frame!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Damn! Can't wait to see it coming together!

I did something fiscally irresponsible today! I ordered a Mayor frameset... I look forward to riding 5.05's this winter.

41 - 60 of 1189 Posts