Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1189 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Picked one of these up. Great bike for sure. Cant be happier.

- Set up tubeless with 3.0 Rocket Rons
- Single speed (30x18)
- wide Whiskey carbon bars
- Race Lite grips

Weighs 27lbs on the nose. Size L

Super, super, super fun ride.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
tedo, I couldn't be happier with my Sarge! Your bike is looking great!
I'm working on polishing out a pair of Scrapers for my wheel build later this week. Gotta get rid of the blackout wheels for some color and contrast.

Glad you got a Sergeant! How ya liking the SS setup?
I love my RR LiteSkin tires cause they are springy and trialsy for play time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
tedo, I couldn't be happier with my Sarge! Your bike is looking great!
I'm working on polishing out a pair of Scrapers for my wheel build later this week. Gotta get rid of the blackout wheels for some color and contrast.

Glad you got a Sergeant! How ya liking the SS setup?
I love my RR LiteSkin tires cause they are springy and trialsy for play time.
The SS is awesome. Rode some pretty advanced trails yesterday, and I found I rode much quicker through tech sections. I needed to keep the forward momentum going, as opposed to traditional staying seated - pedaling... The 25 minute climb was pretty brutal though... but I loved it.

My Rocket Rons are the snakeskins. We have tons of rocks in Vermont. They were on my 27+ Beargrease, and have been holding up great thus far.

Can't believe the incredible deal this bike is. Super playful. Thanks for your early help Wade!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Glad I could hep!

I need to follow up with StokliBoy to find out when the SS only party is happening at the Castle (Read: StokliBoy's Property) Should be a great time rippin singletrack and BBQ with all the fixin's. I'll be giving him shyt when the 9'ers only party happens cause Sarge's feet are tall enough to qualify even if it does say 27.7x3.0 on the sides of his shoes!

"Single speed makes ya strong, fast" (Courtesy of StokliBoy)

Glad you fell in love with a sweet ride! The SS conversion couldn't be easier!

Here's a couple prerequisites...

http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-plus-bikes/bike-item-purchases-pix-please-1012971.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-plus-bikes/27-5-ride-pic-thread-1011868.html

·
Rippin da fAt
8,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I kinda think he did. :p

Ted, the fact of the matter is that Sarge rolls the most comfortable wheelies of all of my bike collective. Euphoric, indeed!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Need some input on my Sergeant Ti build

Just confirmed my Sergeant Ti frame purchase with Alex at RSD! Had a very hard time deciding on frame. Almost went with the Canfield EPO. I'm setting it up as a 29er, with 2.8 tires. Alex talked me into the Sergeant over the Big Chief. Here is the pic Alex sent me. According to Alex, this is a Sergeant set up as 29er + with 3.0's.

20160616_092325.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions on what fork and drive train I should consider? Leaning toward a Pike.

Also, I'm clueless as to what wheels to run on this. ... Something with a 40mm inner width? Any input much appreciated. Really stoked on this build.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Skrool,

There's a few choices on that one! I'm currently working on a pair of Scrapers for Sarge.
Velocity Dually @ 39mm inner, 45 outer. My buddy is running a pair of em on his Krampus and has no complaints thus far. He's not had any issues with em and rides very aggressively. You oughtta be very pleased with the playful geometry of the Sergeant. I thrive on the versatility of mine as a 27.5 with the 140mm fork. BB height is excellent. Pike should serve you well. The Manitou is very well built as well. Clean and slop free! The 27.5x3.0's are nearly as tall as my fatty with Bud/Lou and the nimble feeling when I rode the Sergeant and, well, I was hooked and adopted a bike!

Congratz, Dood!! And welcome to the fray!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Skrool,

There's a few choices on that one! I'm currently working on a pair of Scrapers for Sarge.
Velocity Dually @ 39mm inner, 45 outer. My buddy is running a pair of em on his Krampus and has no complaints thus far. He's not had any issues with em and rides very aggressively. You oughtta be very pleased with the playful geometry of the Sergeant. I thrive on the versatility of mine as a 27.5 with the 140mm fork. BB height is excellent. Pike should serve you well. The Manitou is very well built as well. Clean and slop free! The 27.5x3.0's are nearly as tall as my fatty with Bud/Lou and the nimble feeling when I rode the Sergeant and, well, I was hooked and adopted a bike!

Congratz, Dood!! And welcome to the fray!! :thumbsup:
Alex at RSD has a pair of 'Mulefut 50mm' wheels he'll sell me. Not sure what to do on wheels. The Mulefut's seem to be a bit on the heavy side, but Alex says they work good. Seems like a lot of people run the scraper rims on 29er plus setups. For now, I'm inclined to go with a prebuilt wheelset, but maybe down the line I'll lace up some carbon wheels from Light Bicycle on my own..haven't done it in a while but my last set came out true and strong. Not sure about how well the carbon rims will be without beadlocks with such big tires running at such low pressure.

Also, I've no experience with Manitou but the 29+ Manitou Magnum Comp is also something that Alex at RSD is offering me for my build. Anyone know much about this fork? Seems to have good reviews...

Basically, since I'm blowing my wad on the Ti frame, for now, I kinda have to skimp on other stuff. I've got Enve bars on my current bike so those will be employed...

·
Rippin da fAt
8,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The Mag is a well made and thought out fork. Manitou is turning out a good product. The MuleFut 50SL's are a great wheelset for the money and tubeless well too. Tires are difficult to unseat on em. They are very durable as well. They might carry a little weight although, I don't see it as a deal breaker. Now ya have to consider retreads...

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Mag is a well made and thought out fork. Manitou is turning out a good product. The MuleFut 50SL's are a great wheelset for the money and tubeless well too. Tires are difficult to unseat on em. They are very durable as well. They might carry a little weight although, I don't see it as a deal breaker. Now ya have to consider retreads...
Thanks Man. I'll go with the Manitou then. Maybe wheels too.

What in heck are 'retreads'?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks Man. I'll go with the Manitou then. Maybe wheels too.

What in heck are 'retreads'?
I get it : 'retreads' because of my poverty after spending for the Ti instead of the aluminum! Yeah, yur right Bro. I'm close to broke now. But the Ti frame kept calling out to me...a voice calling out in the wilderness... Truth be told, I'd have gone with a 'steel' Sergeant if they had one, but not aluminum. Not for a hardtail. This 'il be my first hardtail since the mid 90's...so it's got to have some 'give'. I ride, on average, of 40 hours mountain miles per week...so it's got to be Ti for comforts sake.

A few years ago I got majorly f*%ked up. Hurt my back really really bad from a booby trap in-trail while riding out East. The day before I rode the same trail and so 2 days later, I had some good speed going and didn't expect someone to have loaded up a landing zone with big boulders and logs...which I hit. It's a credit to Knolly bikes that it suffered zero damage...but not me man. I couldn't walk, literally for near a month...and it's still not right to this day... sucks.

So that's my reason for putting out for the Ti frame. Nothing to do with anything other than extra compliance for my back's sake.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Retreads, retreads, ridin on retreads! (Courtesy of a friend that worked at a tire shop). I know the feeling, I've been running on junk knees and scoliosis for 30 years. Then the kidney disease was diagnosed in 06 and in 14 had a massive heart attack and heart surgery. 30 days after surgery was back on a bike, admittedly riding like a 4 banger with burnt valves, but riding! That's what happens when ya toss a blood clot in the defending vessel on the left ventricle. Damn oil filter fouled the oil pump! The only thing I do pay much attention to is what the heart tells me. Back to running like a V8 now and the cardiologist gave the green light to redline my bike all i want/can.

Have a look around on some of the websites for tires and call on Alex for your fork and wheels, he'll take good care of ya. Also have a look on eBay, I got my NN TrailStar's 65 smackers each.
Innova Transformers are 42 each here. https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=76871&category=5793

·
Registered
170 Posts
Devil's advocate anyone...?....?....?

Retreads, retreads, ridin on retreads! (Courtesy of a friend that worked at a tire shop). I know the feeling, I've been running on junk knees and scoliosis for 30 years. Then the kidney disease was diagnosed in 06 and in 14 had a massive heart attack and heart surgery. 30 days after surgery was back on a bike, admittedly riding like a 4 banger with burnt valves, but riding! That's what happens when ya toss a blood clot in the defending vessel on the left ventricle. Damn oil filter fouled the oil pump! The only thing I do pay much attention to is what the heart tells me. Back to running like a V8 now and the cardiologist gave the green light to redline my bike all i want/can.

Have a look around on some of the websites for tires and call on Alex for your fork and wheels, he'll take good care of ya. Also have a look on eBay, I got my NN TrailStar's 65 smackers each.
Innova Transformers are 42 each here. https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=76871&category=5793
Thanks for the Input Brother.

I was thinking how much this particular bike would be the perfect candidate for the new Sram Eagle 1X12...at least for me. I myself ride to and from the trail heads where I live, which involves a fair amount of road miles...plus I take my bike to the gym on occassion---more road miles, ...plus to the store---more road miles, so I actually make use of a wide variety of gears, hence, my bikes, Knolly Chilcotin included, are currently run 2X. But with the 42 and 50 cog out back, I could nearly duplicate 2x and could run a 34 up front...while still being able to climb just about any conceivable tech trail. Of course the problem it COST...$$$$

I'd have to have an ebay sale to muster up enough funds for an Eagle drive train. Hard to justify it, but if I were to sell all of my motorcycle gear...which I havn't used in nearly 2 years since selling my last motorbike...I'd likely have enough to go for it. Any input on this rash decision....?

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
That will be a nice setup. The Mulefut are nice solid rims. IMHO worth a few grams for reliability.

Glad to see you went Ti, no reason to have the same AL frame as BR. Lol.

Im not a SRAM Person so may I suggest the XTR 11speed setup. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
That will be a nice setup. The Mulefut are nice solid rims. IMHO worth a few grams for reliability.

Glad to see you went Ti, no reason to have the same AL frame as BR. Lol.

Im not a SRAM Person so may I suggest the XTR 11speed setup. :thumbsup:
That was quick!

Well Brother, I think I'm done with Shimano for mountain. I've not been too pleased with my XTR mountain set ups. They should be far smoother for what I paid.

After riding a X1 Sram I was really impressed with two things : Easier, and silent shifting, and sloppy / mis-timed shifts were FAR smoother than they prove to be on my XTR. I've been a full-on shimano man since the late 90's....but it may be time to go for the German kit for mountain setups.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
That was quick!

Well Brother, I think I'm done with Shimano for mountain. I've not been too pleased with my XTR mountain set ups. They should be far smoother for what I paid.

After riding a X1 Sram I was really impressed with two things : Easier, and silent shifting, and sloppy / mis-timed shifts were FAR smoother than they prove to be on my XTR. I've been a full-on shimano man since the late 90's....but it may be time to go for the German kit for mountain setups.
And that is exactly why SRAM & Shimano are still in biz. We all have preferences which is good for the market!:thumbsup:

I'm pondering ordering a setup from Box for to the next frame later this summer.
PRODUCTS - Box Components MTB

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to Alex, this is a Sergeant set up as 29er + with 3.0's.
I wasn't aware the Sergeant could accommodate 29+. Is that only for ti-frame models? or applicable to the standard aluminium? If common to the aluminium, I will go buy the Sergeant. I was torn between this and something like the Stache 7 which takes both sizes.

21 - 40 of 1189 Posts