Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1189 Posts

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the place to get our Sergeant's some recognition.

10450299_689033664539183_6958512242935945666_o.jpg

01d6a2eb35e68af50a9b8121381b90cb30a723bdef.jpg

Gonna get some Rocket Ron's and Q-Tube SL's and shed 2 pounds offa da bike. Also sending a pair of WTB Scrapers out to be anodized in either blue or orange. Would really like the rims to contrast rather than disappear in the tires.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are comparable to a regular mountain bike. It's more of what one hangs on it. My complete has never been stripped down, so can't give a frame weight. It's not a heavy bike by any means, just has ride qualities that are hard to find. Good climbing ability with excellent manual/wheelie capability. That is rare in a production bike. It's a very solid feeling bike unlike some that I tried. Many others had some frame flex that was concerning, where the RSD did not. It has a light feel with amazing acceleration along with excellent nimble handling.

It's more about performance than gram counting. I would say, there's a healthy weight for a given frame and there's anorexic. Anorexic frames live a short life.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,031 Posts
Is there room for 2x chain rings and a f. der.?

These bikes look awesome (esp. in Ti).

-F

N

·
0 Posts
Gonna get some Rocket Ron's and Q-Tube SL's and shed 2 pounds offa da bike. Also sending a pair of WTB Scrapers out to be anodized in either blue or orange. Would really like the rims to contrast rather than disappear in the tires.
orrrrrrange would make it pop!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
orrrrrrange would make it pop!
Werd!

The whole idea is to eliminate the Hearse Black as much as possible. LBS is still trying to get the new orange Hope Evo4 Boost hubs for me. :/
Blue spoke nipples to keep it all together. Life for me is in coluh cause back and white is bland.

Got the Rocket Ron's coming in the next day or two. These should bring up the fuel economy nicely.

N

·
0 Posts
Werd!

The whole idea is to eliminate the Hearse Black as much as possible. LBS is still trying to get the new orange Hope Evo4 Boost hubs for me. :/
Blue spoke nipples to keep it all together. Life for me is in coluh cause black and white is bland.
pretty much the same for me though the cost of purchasing new parts for a new bike sounds a bit hasty but it's gotta be done.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's how we make our bike ours! Yep, there is a couple other changes coming too.

Straitline Amp 70mm stem
Loaded AMX 800mm bars

It just has to be...

My bike is learning to be on the lookout for a bike nerd bearing gifts. -.o

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there room for 2x chain rings and a f. der.?

These bikes look awesome (esp. in Ti).

-F
Stainless was sweet lookin too, I'm holding out on the big ticket bike for a custom frame from either Walt or John Hargedon. Then and only then can I get the BB height properly configured. My trials bike has ruined me for life!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today Sarge is wearing his fresh pair of Rocket Ron's. They kicked some serious weight to the curb. 740g and 735g, not too shabby! Stuffed em with Q-Tube SL 26x2.7's at 150g vs. the 300g stock tubes. The Chrony's were over 1kg each, no more weight watchers for Sarge! Yay!!! Now the fuel economy has gone up to 8 miles per sammich.
Sarge is keeping an eye on my activities in case more gifts are lurking.

Sorry Fleas this damn computer has been doing strange things lately. To answer your question re: 2x, yep, it can be done. Currently, my bike is 30-36-11. It seems to work quite well here in the Rockies. The only change I see beneficial is a short cage RD to keep the works higher from the ground and nice and tight.

Hope Slower and I aren't the only RSD guys here... @.o

Slower, how you liking the dropper? I'm kinda considering one but I tend to ride with my seat down some rather than roadie height cause I'm always playing. Air is necessary between the tires and planet from time to time. :p

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
slower, thanks for the reply. I haven't really made the decision yet. It makes me think of the hiterite spring that was popular in the '80's. Certainly interesting how popular the droper posts are lately. Which post are you using?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Newbie to dropper thoughts

slower, thanks for the reply. I haven't really made the decision yet. It makes me think of the hiterite spring that was popular in the '80's. Certainly interesting how popular the droper posts are lately. Which post are you using?
Man, I must be the only rider out there who's wondering if my recent first-ever dropper ($$$$) purchase was a mistake.

I've got a 9Point8 Fall Line on my Norco Torrent 7.2. The post work perfectly well (thumb lever could be a little closer to the bar rather than so elevated).

I'm typically a fast descender - never having issues sliding off the back of the saddle for steeps. I thought a dropper could make me faster. In many ways it does, it's certainly easier for larger jumps and drops as there's a lot more leg room to spring and absorb - especially for a HT. I feel like I can carve/work the rear wheel harder once I adjust to my issue below...

The one hickup I'm having is the sense of reduced control in the bike's lateral/tipping/leaning movements. With a regular post the elevated saddle was always a 'rudder' to control the bike's lateral movements with my thighs. It was also a point of contact/reference to tell me what the bike is doing. With the dropper activated that point of contact/information is now gone and I feel like the bike's flopping around beneath me. Simply put, more input is required through the bar and pedals to adjust/communicate the bike's lean rather than relying on my thighs and saddle.

I'll give it another month or two to see if I subconsciously adjust to the change.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds kinda like my trials bike, no provision for a seat/post. I rarely raise my seat to the "roadie position" cause at that extension it's in the way.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sarge had a Fruita ride today followed by a trail ride closer to home. The change was the tires. Going to the Rocket Ron Liteskin's was well worth it. Feels snappy with the lighter tires and Q-Tube SL's. Also noticed the energy reserve at the end of my ride. Quite a nice improvement in acceleration as well as generally more predictable out on the trail. Really enjoying the Sergeant, considering the illness that delayed bringing my bike home. I can't say that I recommend meningitis, not fun. Sarge has been an amazing addition to the collective! The trails await!

Certainly hope to see more peeps sharing their stories of their rides with their Sergeants...

·
Rippin da fAt
8,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sarge is having lotsa fun out on the local trails sportin a pair of Rocket Ron LiteSkin's. Man, does a good pair of tires make a difference! Didn't have the camera handy for todays foray up on the Cattle Creek trail system, unfortunately. Sarge climbs the hills very nicely and still is very light on the front wheel. So much fun railing the single track that the dirtbikers were so kind to create! Great flow=wide open throttle runs in the shade of a pinion forest. Sarge is happy now that he got all kinds of dusty from a good shakedown!

1 - 20 of 1189 Posts