Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RSD MIddleChild - CrMo

173K views 1K replies 101 participants last post by  BansheeRune 
#1 ·
As if I wasn't confused enough :madman:...add another one to the list - MIDDLECHILD Chromoly - RSD

More pics here - https://www.facebook.com/RSD-Bikes-299341806841706/

Head Angle - 64.5°....415-430 mm Chain Stay...which I really have no appreciation for, quite frankly.

And at $1000 CDN more than what you can get a Sarge for now...and $600 more than what you can get a FS Wildcat for now - I have no idea.

Me thinks I'll have to wait until the snow melts and try them out before I decide anything...I just have no frame of reference.

#860 ·
Quick photo of my Middle Child a few minutes after being "unboxed."

This is a warranty replacement frame and it is gorgeous. I post this picture for 2 reasons- I know several people are waiting for their bikes and frames to ship- believe me they are worth the wait!!!!! Also I wanted to give Alex and RSD a shout out- I mentioned previously this is a warranty replacement and the company stands behind their product.

So if you are waiting for a bike- it will pay off and you are dealing with a great company!

#940 ·
To Banshee's point, he is correct.
You can book a container today from Taiwan to Canada or to the USA, and the price will "only" be around 300% more what the standard price is, BUT.... the catch is that this price DOES NOT even guarantee space on the vessel. They will put you on whenever there is space. that could be 6 months from now, or more, based on container and space shortage. Shipping lines are controlling the flow and the price. Sadly, there is no governing body to tell them they can and cannot do what they are doing.
In order to have guaranteed space, the price goes up to 600% the standard cost and they pick the highest "bidders" first and these bookings are done 2 months in advance, which is why pricing are going up for most commodities, and not just bikes.
Maybe too much info... I hope that helps

#1,010 ·
Well the day FINALLY arrived and the bike is absolutely gorgeous! The shop owner that built it was impressed with the build/quality. The people that came in the shop while I was picking it up also admired it :).

I’ve already found out a few things in the very short time I’ve owned it… things I hadn’t thought of. Man the bike feels big (in a good way) just night and day from my circa 2012 Cube mtb. My dropper is at the lowest it can be adjusted and is just right. I lucked out there. I was not aware there was a limit to how far down they could go (in raised position). Makes sense, I just hadn’t thought about it may be a possible problem (an inch higher and it would have been).

I’m also really glad I went with the 27.5 tires. I think the 29’s would have made the bike feel too big (at least to start with) again, the bike feels big even with the 27.5’s.

I got rid of my A3 and bought a Jeep Cherokee thinking I could just throw my bike in the back and go… I was wrong (I can but it is tight and I have to take off the front wheel, don’t want to do that every outing) 😅… that’s of course not the only reason I got a new car, and that style (that would be a whole OT discussion for the soap box on its own), but now I need to invest in a way to carry my bike, asap. So I’m looking at a few hundred bucks more pretty much whatever I decide (either need to install a trailer hitch and buy a rack for that,
or get Ross bars for my roof rack and a bike rack for that.

Anyway, I’ll get there 😁. Eventually.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Tire

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

#1,067 ·
Build finished. Total cost 2,085$. Found some very good deals in the making of this bike.
Size Large Middlechild frame and Truvativ Descendant bars (Pinkbike)$710.00
Fox 36 Perf. Elite 140mm fork and salsa 50mm stem (Facebook)$510.00
Avid elixir trail 7 4 piston front/rear brakes and WTB volt saddle (Facebook)$40.00
AB oval chainring, Race Face pedals, and Trans X skyline dropper/lever (free from a facebook bundle deal)$0.00
Wheels specialized evo with dt swiss spokes and SRAM 180mm rotors (Facebook)$210.00
Vittoria 29x2.6 Mezcal rear and Agarro front with rear vittoria airliner (Pinkbike)$100.00
Full GX Lunar drivetrain including chain and BB (Pinkbike SpeedVisionShop)$500.00
Easton grips (Facebook)$10.00
Cables (Bonzai Cycle Werx local shop)$15.00
Tubeless sealant$10.00
Sold GX chainring-20
Total2085

It weighs in with pedals at 32.8 lbs. I knew it was going to be a heavy, it is steel after all.

I took it for a ride around the block after taking pictures. First thing I noticed is the reach feels shorter than I anticipated. I am only 5'11 but for some reason this large feels a bit small. I slammed the seat all the way back and that helped. I may also get a longer stem. The bars have a pretty good sweep on them and that is probably contributing.

Second thing I noticed is that this thing bunny hops really well. It is going to be loads of fun for jumps.

The BB is high with the 29x2.6 tires, just enough to notice it. It gives a sort of "on-top" feel as opposed to a "down-in" feel. It's not overwhelmingly high though, and it is going to mean less pedal strikes as well.

The colors came together really well. The Lunar GX groupset is beautiful, and adds a bit of grey that goes well with the grey tires and grey brakes. The groupset is also very shiny, which goes well with the shiny orange of the frame. It looks way better in person than it does in the pictures.

Can't wait to ride it on a trail.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Bicycle Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Hub gear

#922 ·
So I wanted to share my experience riding my friend's RSD MC (aluminum/ Medium). I love riding other bikes because you get to sample things and see what you like, setup differences, parts, geometry, sizing etc. I learned quite a few things...

Firstly, my friend built a heck of a bike. Not only is it beautifully styled, but it's very dialed in. It seemed a bit more poppy and a bit faster than my RSD MC (steel/ Small). I also felt pretty comfortable on the medium, a bit more stretched out, but I think more comfortable when out of the seat when riding more aggressively. I think Medium may be preferable for me. I gotta ride my Small again.

Secondly, this bike is setup with 2.6" tires and I wasn't missing my 2.8's at all. I rode them at 20psi front 18 rear. I could have dropped some and been ok I'm sure, but I didn't feel I had to. I don't love alot of jiggly feel. I feel like with an aggressive geometry bike like this one all you have to do (for most trails I've ridden) is loosen up the body, lighten up the feet, let the fork do the work and the bike handles most roots/chunk just fine. I also think the 2.6's probably aide in feeling a bit faster.

Thirdly, Magura MT8 carbon brakes are AMAZING. The one finger braking on them, the feel, the power, everything. Game changer. This is the bar I will judge all brakes on. It gave me confidence and being a touchpoint that's used SO much, it really made the quality feel of the bike go way up. I think I need to go with Magura one day.

Finally, although I'm still considering getting a full suspension mostly to get some comfort on some of the harder trails, I had so much fun riding the hardtail that I really think I need to always have a hardtail... even if I get a full suspension. The hardtail must stay. The connection with the trail, the challenge, makes smaller features in the trail more fun. More fun is what it's all about.

Overall, I had alot of fun riding this bike. Admittedly a bit more than my own MiddleChild... so I'm going to have to do something about that.

Check out this beauty

I'm not much of a jumper yet, but got a bit of air time after this nice wall feature.

#923 ·
So I wanted to share my experience riding my friend's RSD MC (aluminum/ Medium). I love riding other bikes because you get to sample things and see what you like, setup differences, parts, geometry, sizing etc. I learned quite a few things...

Firstly, my friend built a heck of a bike. Not only is it beautifully styled, but it's very dialed in. It seemed a bit more poppy and a bit faster than my RSD MC (steel/ Small). I also felt pretty comfortable on the medium, a bit more stretched out, but I think more comfortable when out of the seat when riding more aggressively. I think Medium may be preferable for me. I gotta ride my Small again.

Secondly, this bike is setup with 2.6" tires and I wasn't missing my 2.8's at all. I rode them at 20psi front 18 rear. I could have dropped some and been ok I'm sure, but I didn't feel I had to. I don't love alot of jiggly feel. I feel like with an aggressive geometry bike like this one all you have to do (for most trails I've ridden) is loosen up the body, lighten up the feet, let the fork do the work and the bike handles most roots/chunk just fine. I also think the 2.6's probably aide in feeling a bit faster.

Thirdly, Magura MT8 carbon brakes are AMAZING. The one finger braking on them, the feel, the power, everything. Game changer. This is the bar I will judge all brakes on. It gave me confidence and being a touchpoint that's used SO much, it really made the quality feel of the bike go way up. I think I need to go with Magura one day.

Finally, although I'm still considering getting a full suspension mostly to get some comfort on some of the harder trails, I had so much fun riding the hardtail that I really think I need to always have a hardtail... even if I get a full suspension. The hardtail must stay. The connection with the trail, the challenge, makes smaller features in the trail more fun. More fun is what it's all about.

Overall, I had alot of fun riding this bike. Admittedly a bit more than my own MiddleChild... so I'm going to have to do something about that.

Check out this beauty

I'm not much of a jumper yet, but got a bit of air time after this nice wall feature.
Were they 27.5 or 29? I Agree Magura is the best i ever owned.

#991 ·

My GF wanted her bars higher on the MC. We aren't getting any younger so whatever we can do to stay on the trail and keep shredding we are going to do!

Grips are now a bit above the saddle as requested. She also wanted grips with more padding so she's rocking a pair of RF Getta Grip 30mm on the 50mm rise Deity bar. 🤘

#1,058 ·
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Crankset

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Wheel

Sorry for the shitty phone pics, but it's what I got. 2 rides in on the bike & I love it so far.

-Middle Child M aluminum frame
-Marchocci Bomber Z2 140mm
-DT Swiss M1700 wheelset 350 hubs w/36t ratchet 40mm id
-Maxxis Rekon+/Ikon+ 27.5x2.8
-Slx crankset and mech 32t 11/46 11sp wolftooth crank gear sunrace cassette
-Raceface Turbine stem, bars (20mm rise cut to 760mm), & grips
-Shimano M420 4 piston calipers, Deore levers, 180mm Shimano rotors
-Oneup 150mm dropper & lever
-Wolftooth post clamp
-WTB volt seat
Some parts are takeoffs from my previous bike and some are new

#893 ·
Rob, you are in for a treat!
I have been enjoying the V1 since they hit the market. The handling is spot on and this bike has been awesome at everything I have subjected it to.

Size L with 150mm Pike, 70mm stem, 800mm 10° back, 6° up bar.

While this bike is not for the weight weenie, it certainly is for the rider that would like to be riding something damn nice and exceptionally functional for many years.

Congrats!

#894 ·
Rob, you are in for a treat!
I have been enjoying the V1 since they hit the market. The handling is spot on and this bike has been awesome at everything I have subjected it to.

Size L with 150mm Pike, 70mm stem, 800mm 10° back, 6° up bar.

While this bike is not for the weight weenie, it certainly is for the rider that would like to be riding something damn nice and exceptionally functional for many years.

Congrats!
Thanks, I can't wait!

#973 ·
If Alex can make it through this scamdemic and turn up sane if it ever ends, he'll be damn lucky. Feel for the bloke since he has finally been doing a passion rather than a J O B like the folks that are working might be and what happens? This baloney to put a damper on it.

Let's see these M/C's when they arrive... Then, the Cheshire cat grins from having a pedal with these addictive bikes!!

#979 ·
It's on... Tnt's holding out on us. Way to go!

Bicycle Tire Plant Wheel Bicycle wheel

Here's a Middlechild lurking near the Colorado River. Singletrackfest in the fall colors is a blessing! Pithy little one speed automatic is a mountainbikeBMXendurodowncountryupcountry bike! Anyone silly enough to place limitations on the Middlechild is not worthy!
Just to fuel the jones a little more...

#980 ·
Nice pic!

Hopefully Altasnob will be the next to post some pics. I was really surprised when my tracking info email rolled in at 3 am (PST) Saturday morning. I figured if it wasn’t there by end of business Friday I wouldn’t see it till Monday. Hope it was sent out automatically… if not hope Alex and his crew are finding time to get some shut eye between filling orders.

Next problem for me is that with my luck mine will arrive Saturday and I’m doing a partial Death Valley run on my other two wheeler (Triumph Bonneville) that day… may have to reschedule with UPS if that’s the case.

#984 · (Edited)
My wifes should come in today (not as crazy long like some of you but... february or march I think) :). Excited to show off the build. It's as blingy as we could make it will still being somewhat "stealth", with the long wait we kept just buying parts like idiots. Somehow ended up with 4 tires lol(more and less aggressive set). at least for those that dont know mtb ;P.

#920 ·
made mine do some work today :) View attachment 1945231
Lookin' good, Bunny!

lol quite the post banshee :). We are pretty pumped! Our fancy FS bikes will probably see a bit less action, which is cool with me.
I cannot express it enough! This Middlechild thang has been awesome. The return to running a one speed automatic has made a huge difference in the experience. Simplicity of singlespeed becomes more complex riding technique in the real world. Now, we enter the geometry and dimensions of the frame and Game On! Meanwhile, the Wildcat sees plenty of action cause I need some "Fleetwood Brougham" time too. Love the plus thang.

I'm totally jonesing ?. My original order was in feb… my "re (new) order" in July. Not sure how that's going to affect my delivery by since it was still showing "4 or 5 in stock" for preorder, hopefully it's still in the same general time frame. I have no clue to how many orders can be processed a day etc, or if I'll be a month later than early orders.

Almost fully recovered (I hope) from a hamstring injury ?… so I guess a little more time won't hurt.
Patience, Grasshoppah! Soon enough, you will be raging your loco haunts!
Now, that hamstring... Let it heal. Tendon and ligament injury takes wayyy too long to heal. You really don't want or need to undo the healing done by getting silly, too soon.

#967 ·
I got this today:

Hi Michael,,

Delivery to our dock is imminent, so your frame/bike will start shipping as early as Tuesday, October 12th (Monday is a holiday).
This is your UPS Ground tracking #

Thank you again for your order and for your legendary patience.
Best,

I ordered just a frame in early January, ftr.
That's the best news I've seen yet! You got a tracking number!! (y)

I'm a ways down the list (July), and I ordered a complete bike, so am guessing mine will be at the end of October beginning of November.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.