Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

821 - 840 of 841 Posts

·
PoDaddy
162 Posts
Alright middle children, I now have a couple rides in on the aluminum Middle Child, 120 ml fork, 29'' wheels.

In a word: damn near perfection. Okay that was three words.

In more than three words: This thing seriously rocks. I live in Chattanooga, and the geometry is just perfect for these trails. Tight, twisty, steep-punchy, rocky, rooty, eastern slop. Climbs better than my steeper HA bikes and yes, descends better as well. Just objectively better. I even feel like skinnies are easier.

I will say the aluminum rides a little stiffer than my steel Krampus, which I only really notice on harder hits, and even then the difference is mild.

If I were to order a custom frame, I really don't know what I'd change. I feel like this bike is it. I'm even loving the exact bottom bracket height of this rig on 29ers. Not too high, not too low.

Now I just reeeeeaaally really want that Ti version, and hope it isn't somehow discontinued by the time I can afford it, if that ever even happens...

But yes, Rukstar, what exactly are you comparing to? Still curious to hear a direct comparison of the steel and aluminum versions.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Alright middle children, I now have a couple rides in on the aluminum Middle Child, 120 ml fork, 29'' wheels.

In more than three words: This thing seriously rocks. I live in Chattanooga, and the geometry is just perfect for these trails. Tight, twisty, steep-punchy, rocky, rooty, eastern slop. Climbs better than my steeper HA bikes and yes, descends better as well. Just objectively better. I even feel like skinnies are easier.

I will say the aluminum rides a little stiffer than my steel Krampus, which I only really notice on harder hits, and even then the difference is mild.

If I were to order a custom frame, I really don't know what I'd change. I feel like this bike is it. I'm even loving the exact bottom bracket height of this rig on 29ers. Not too high, not too low.

Now I just reeeeeaaally really want that Ti version, and hope it isn't somehow discontinued by the time I can afford it, if that ever even happens...

But yes, Rukstar, what exactly are you comparing to? Still curious to hear a direct comparison of the steel and aluminum versions.
He sees the light!!! :cool: Glad to hear the report after all that anticipation was killing you with fire! ;)

As for custom... The only thing I would change is BB height for an even more trials friendly ride. Since my bike is a singelspeed, the tiralsy feel is there but if I could get the BB to -25, I would be a very happy camper.
Frankly, the stock drop is doable and works well on 27.5 x 3.0's. Yup, I'm in the 3.fvckyeah camp...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Now we can relate to your input! Middlechild is in a class of its own since it is a plus.
THE MC alu is better!!! Well, imho have tried both Fe and Alu and liked the alu better for weight and it seemed a little more forgiving???? crazy. After 68 steel hardtails i ended up with the alu MC and a steel custom copy of the banshee paradox (my SS bike in 29) and i like the MC better than ben and jerrys...and I run it mullet with 29/2.4 up front and 2.75/2.8 in rear and 140 fork = the best ride ev-ah. I ditched a pivot mach FS for the MC as it is sooo.... perfect.
so...ya did good on your choice.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
THE MC alu is better!!! Well, imho have tried both Fe and Alu and liked the alu better for weight and it seemed a little more forgiving???? crazy. After 68 steel hardtails i ended up with the alu MC and a steel custom copy of the banshee paradox (my SS bike in 29) and i like the MC better than ben and jerrys...and I run it mullet with 29/2.4 up front and 2.75/2.8 in rear and 140 fork = the best ride ev-ah. I ditched a pivot mach FS for the MC as it is sooo.... perfect.
so...ya did good on your choice.
Honestly, there are not many changes that I would bring to the MC. Classic iron, beer cans or Ti, I'm good with where it stands.
My primary change would be -20 BB if not just do -0. Then the trials will be even easier and better form. With the singlespeed setup and current weight, I really cannot find a complaint in the grand scheme of things. Alex has suggested gears, saying "you'll never go back". I cannot bring myself to do it since the SS is working exquisitely and I can leave geared suspensions in the rearview without too much effort. Play on the features in general is natural feeling. Mmm natty! Yus, I like natural features over man made! As trialsy as my pithy little yellow dirt ripper is, I'll be right at home and in my comfort zone. Sunspot weighs ~28 #'s, I weigh 165 and run the tires at 10f, 12r for most of my Fruita, GJ runs. 4BBL wide open on Horsethief is typical. Tabuache is another haunt that Sunspot really shines. Tech and more. This pithy little bastard belongs there! MC Jeepin has never been so freakin' good! High country in the Flattops, late spring, now we're riding some fine game and ATV routes through a flower garden! Back into the trees, we have air conditioned dirt races among friends.
I would say, my MC is here for the long haul. Yus, I am hoarding some 3.0's for both the MC and Wildcat. 2.6 and smaller do not come close to making the cut, not within 100 lightyears!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Now that we're back... Time to resume where we were so rudely interrupted!!

·
Registered
14,325 Posts

My GF has been riding her FS 29er a bunch this winter and after every ride she's appalled how trashed it is spends a bunch of time cleaning it. I keep pointing out she's got a fine hardtail she could be riding instead that won't end up needing as much love after muddy/wet rides. She finally came around so I installed her DHF/DHR 27 x 2.8" winter tires on that bike and some MTB riser bars. The Rekons and the Soma Dream comfort bars will go back on come summer when she wants to grind out big days of non-tech riding.

I needed to get the shock serviced on her FS bike so that's in the mail to Vorsprung in Whistler and I'll service the fork on that bike at home while we wait for the shock to come back. In the meantime the MC will be getting dirty! (y) :geek:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Now that we're back... Time to resume where we were so rudely interrupted!!
I got notice of your post and thought maybe we were treated to a RSD manufactures forum.

I am still loving my Middle kid. Since its winter in MN I finally gave in and made a manual trainer. So my middle child has found a home there.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Vik, that MC will be happy to get grungy and offer up a good ride!

I got notice of your post and thought maybe we were treated to a RSD manufactures forum.

I am still loving my Middle kid. Since its winter in MN I finally gave in and made a manual trainer. So my middle child has found a home there.
I am advocating for it. Dunno if it will come to be however, I'ma tryin'! RSD has spent some coin advertising here and should have it and deserves it. There is a generic forum for all others, but that would be the search for a needle in a haystack section, no bueno...

Manual trainer sounds good. Middlechild might not be amused but what the hell, should be of benefit in the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts

A direct comparision would be awesome. I really don't know which Middlechild to get. Steel or alu? Alu one is already pushing my budget since the shipping cost for a full bike is 375 dollar to Belgium. Steel version ships bout six weeks sooner and has better overal parts. Really like the raw alu finish on the other side, looks sick and I can upgrade the alu version over time.

But if the steel frame is exponentially better I might take the plunge. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this dilemma :( man this is difficult case!

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
GDUREF,

Frankly, the MC line has the same geometry and measurements. Now it gets down to budget and material choice. Will it be aluminum, steel or Ti??
The difference will be end result weight, color option and a couple component package choices.
Would I trade my steel, "tennis ball yellow" frame for an alternative? Not on your life!! Would I add a Ti build eventually? Perhaps so.
Honestly, I have not looked back since I bought the bike. I love it as a singlespeed since it's right down to basics and playing with a fun time bike is where I like to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any review on rsd mc 29er with 2.6 tires and 130mm travel whats the bb height thanks planning to build the latest purple rsd mc thanks

·
PoDaddy
162 Posts
A direct comparision would be awesome. I really don't know which Middlechild to get. Steel or alu? Alu one is already pushing my budget since the shipping cost for a full bike is 375 dollar to Belgium. Steel version ships bout six weeks sooner and has better overal parts. Really like the raw alu finish on the other side, looks sick and I can upgrade the alu version over time.

But if the steel frame is exponentially better I might take the plunge. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this dilemma :( man this is difficult case!

I will say that reviews have said the steel version is a bit stiff for a steel frame. In that case it's hard to justify the steel over aluminum, given that you will both pay more and also be riding a heavier bike. The steel version of course looks nicer, but that doesn't make it win out for me, in this particular case.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I will say that reviews have said the steel version is a bit stiff for a steel frame. In that case it's hard to justify the steel over aluminum, given that you will both pay more and also be riding a heavier bike. The steel version of course looks nicer, but that doesn't make it win out for me, in this particular case.
If your talking about Steve's review of Hardtail party, he said many time that the steel MC is still "softer" than most aluminum frame. Also the steel MC is pretty cheap vs some offering tested on his channel (Banshee, Cotic, Canfield, etc) Some aluminum frames are good on paper geo wise (like the Commencal Meta HT) but won't ride as nice as the MC (take a look at Steve's review of this bike). So unless we have a direct comparison I would not jump to conclusion... Of course, when you look at price and weight, aluminum is the logical choice. I think if you ride 27.5+ it's not that big of a deal also. In this setup, the MC is far from being bone-jarring

Reactions: 33red

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Given that I run 3.0's exclusively on my steel MC, I cannot say it is stiffer than beer cans or not. I have no desire to overlinflate the tires to find out if there is merit in the claims some have made in that regard however, the performance of the bike is present and blatantly obvious. Does it weigh an ounce or three more?? Prolly, not that I really give a rats to compare an F350 Superduty to a Toyota SR5... This bike will be haunting the dirt for decades and I'm perfectly content with that. While I am not dissing or datting the aluminum option, it was not offered in the 19 model so it is what it is.
Frankly, the Ti version is quite attractive but that will take sorting the funding and making the plan for such to come to be.
Would I own an aluminum MC? Why the hell not! If the same blueprint is used to make all MC's regardless of material choice, I'll ride one in any material simply for the performance of a very well sorted frame geo and overall design.

I am over the drama queen milligram and nanogram counting these days. Fvck, I have a bad heart and other health issues and still have the ponies to ride my 26 # steel bike and, and, and, it has a one speed, automatic transmission and towing package brakes! 😁

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
All hardtails with a big fork that run in the same vein as the Middlechild are going to be stiff. I've had a couple now (Middlechild and Nimble 9) and they're just way overbuilt, and rightfully so when they're made to be ridden the way they are. With regards to the steel vs aluminum, they're both going to be stiff but in my opinion I hate the way aluminum carries vibration. Steel AM frames ride stiff, but the steel itself still dampens the smaller vibrations better than aluminum in my experience. I had my Middlechild set up with 29x2.6s and a set of ENVE bars, and while the frame itself felt very stiff the overall ride was very muted.

821 - 840 of 841 Posts