Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

801 - 820 of 841 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hey guys, just ordered a middle child!

I do have a quick question. Im planning to build it up with a 120mm fox 34. Is this enough fork, or do you think the bb will be too low?

I’ll be running 29x2.5-2.8 tires (I change them out a lot, but that will be the average.

My riding is all XC, no big jumps but it is rocky. Also, I pretty much have to stick with 175mm crank arms (38” inseam).

I saw that hard tail party set his up with a 120mm fork but don’t know his crank length/curious to hear ride reports.
Thanks!
I would suggest you to try shorter arms maybe from a friend or from a shop because i switched from 175 to 165(some areas i ride are rocky enough that few riders are there without snow). My inseam is 34.5 so for me it is 100% better. I guess you can decide after you try, maybe 170. Maybe you can find a 2.6 you like for rear(my new bike came with Rekon and i enjoyed it these last 3.5 months).

·
Registered
28 Posts

I do have a quick question. Im planning to build it up with a 120mm fox 34. Is this enough fork, or do you think the bb will be too low?

I’ll be running 29x2.5-2.8 tires (I change them out a lot, but that will be the average.

My riding is all XC, no big jumps but it is rocky. Also, I pretty much have to stick with 175mm crank arms (38” inseam).

I saw that hard tail party set his up with a 120mm fork but don’t know his crank length/curious to hear ride reports.

Thanks!
I think it will be fine. The Middlechild has a relatively high BB anyway (by current standards) and you're going to be on 29's.

·
NJ Gator
100 Posts
I think the BB will be okay (with 29’ers) the head angle will be around 66/67- not bad at all- just different than intended.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts

Thanks!
Congratz!!

Going 29, 120 should do good. What you really need to do is look at axle to crown length more so than travel. You will find that two forks, 120mm travel can have different A/C numbers. Research the forks in that range for A/C and see what works for ya.

Hartail's a shorter rider and can get away with shorter cranks. Good egg that rides like a man on a mission, he is tho'.

While Sunspot has 27.5x3.0's and a 150mm travel Pike, it makes the bike suited for the one that wrote the check. I run singlespeed with taller gears, live in the mountains, I need the torque only a longer lever can supply. As a geared bike (Sunspot has never been one) 170mm cranks are doable.

33red has a boner for short cranks... Go figure! In the regions where torque is not as needed as it is going from 7,000' to 10,000', I'll continue to appreciate climbing in a taller ratio.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
33red has a boner for short cranks... Go figure! In the regions where torque is not as needed as it is going from 7,000' to 10,000', I'll continue to appreciate climbing in a taller ratio.[/QUOTE]
You have no clue how much i laughed.
My power is real low.
A taller ratio = i push the bike.
So we try and find what works for us.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
33red has a boner for short cranks... Go figure! In the regions where torque is not as needed as it is going from 7,000' to 10,000', I'll continue to appreciate climbing in a taller ratio.
You have no clue how much i laughed.
My power is real low.
A taller ratio = i push the bike.
So we try and find what works for us.[/QUOTE]

Then it worked! I was throwing that jab in jest... We all ride what works for us. But then, Sunspot doesn't like to be pushed around.;)

·
PoDaddy
162 Posts
Well thanks for the input guys. New frame should be here any day, though it will be a little while before I can get it build up.

I will indeed be running 29'' with a 120 fork and 175mm cranks. I'll report back on it, but again, it wont be any time soon.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Well thanks for the input guys. New frame should be here any day, though it will be a little while before I can get it build up.

I will indeed be running 29'' with a 120 fork and 175mm cranks. I'll report back on it, but again, it wont be any time soon.
What flavor?? And, gratz!!

·
PoDaddy
162 Posts
What flavor?? And, gratz!!
Ended up going with the aluminum teal frame in XL. I'm normally a steel-only guy, but it was what was available, and Hardtail Party said the steel MC was really stiff anyway, figured I'd just save the weight and money and "deal with" Aluminum.

Haven't really heard any ride reports about the AL frame as far as stiffness goes, so we'll see. I'm very excited and that teal is just beautiful. My poor Krampus will be a bear frame for a while until I get enough parts to build it up as a rigid SS once more.

·
hardtail partier
1,058 Posts
I don't remember staying the steel MC is really stiff, but I do usually tell people it's not very compliant compared to other steel frames.

I feel like it dampens the vibrations better than most aluminum frames, but it's still not supple feeling. It feels like a chromag to me: overbuilt and not very complaint. But definitely built to take a beating.

I haven't ridden the aluminum mc yet.

·
PoDaddy
162 Posts
I don't remember staying the steel MC is really stiff, but I do usually tell people it's not very compliant compared to other steel frames.

I feel like it dampens the vibrations better than most aluminum frames, but it's still not supple feeling. It feels like a chromag to me: overbuilt and not very complaint. But definitely built to take a beating.

I haven't ridden the aluminum mc yet.
Sorry, "really stiff" was just my interpretation of what you said I guess. But yes, I did hear you say on the B1ker Bar podcast that if you'd likely choose the AL version if you couldn't afford the Ti, so, like some of the listeners of yours you describe, I felt further justified in my purchase.

Just after that feel-good justification is all

·
hardtail partier
1,058 Posts
Right on, no worries. Congrats, I think the al MC is an incredible bike for the price. I've ridden with a few friends who have them and they LOVE them. And they didn't mention them feeling stiff at all, and they weigh less than me. Congrats.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Ended up going with the aluminum teal frame in XL. I'm normally a steel-only guy, but it was what was available, and Hardtail Party said the steel MC was really stiff anyway, figured I'd just save the weight and money and "deal with" Aluminum.

Haven't really heard any ride reports about the AL frame as far as stiffness goes, so we'll see. I'm very excited and that teal is just beautiful. My poor Krampus will be a bear frame for a while until I get enough parts to build it up as a rigid SS once more.
I suspect the aluminum and steel will be close in feel. Steel will be slightly more compliant although, over built... That translates to a long life for Sunspot to haunt the trails for more years to come. I am intending to keep the V1 on the prowl until it just cannot do it anymore. Yus, I enjoy it that much!

Sorry, "really stiff" was just my interpretation of what you said I guess. But yes, I did hear you say on the B1ker Bar podcast that if you'd likely choose the AL version if you couldn't afford the Ti, so, like some of the listeners of yours you describe, I felt further justified in my purchase.

Just after that feel-good justification is all
Pfft! Who needs to justify a well designed frame that knows what the word "play" means?
Frankly, I do not see a reason the aluminum will be any different in the grand scheme of things, assuming plus wheels/tires that are not inflated to the max PSI embossed on the side of the tires... All I can see of the three options is a great bike and excellent riding.

·
PoDaddy
162 Posts
Hardtail Party, thanks glad to hear it! Are they ever going to send you an Al frame for review? If it hasn't happened at this point I'd imagine maybe not? But what do I know.

BansheeRune, I know I know, just wanted to hear some good news about another purchase based on a "want" moreso than a "need". haha

Very excited about the build. Again, it'll be a while before I actually get it done.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Hardtail Party, thanks glad to hear it! Are they ever going to send you an Al frame for review? If it hasn't happened at this point I'd imagine maybe not? But what do I know.

BansheeRune, I know I know, just wanted to hear some good news about another purchase based on a "want" moreso than a "need". haha

Very excited about the build. Again, it'll be a while before I actually get it done.
No worries, my friend! Take your time and gather the parts that really make it your bike, then the build...

The best purchase I have done was my MC V1. I love the bike and the many awesome features. The ride quality is second to none for versatility. Everything I have subjected Sunspot to has been an epic experience. Singlespeed has been overwhelmingly excellent! The bike just rides so well. I live in the Rocky Mountains, prime mountain bike habitat is everywhere. Hitting trails and leaving geared suspension bikes in the rearview is a blessing. Ascending is as good as descending. Flow trails are spectacular. With that said, you are in for a treat once you are on the trail...

Sunspot might be pithy and have an attitude however, I love my bike!

·
hardtail partier
1,058 Posts

At one point alex and i talked about it, but i don't think it's going to be happen. I'd sure like to try one someday.

·
Registered
98 Posts

I run my MC with 29x2.6, 140mm fork and 175mm cranks. No issues at all. BB could be lower, but it's not a big deal. I suspect you will be fine with your planned set up. If anyone wants a lower BB the RS291 is coming out next year.

Reactions: 33red

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
I run my MC with 29x2.6, 140mm fork and 175mm cranks. No issues at all. BB could be lower, but it's not a big deal. I suspect you will be fine with your planned set up. If anyone wants a lower BB the RS291 is coming out next year.
Frankly, the bb is good where it is. The last thing I wanna put up is getting stuck on the speed bump in front of the package store and have call AAA to get the damn bike offa there! Preferred is high enough for good trialsy riding. Lower and I may as well lash a bag of concrete mix on the handlebar. That would be funless!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right on, no worries. Congrats, I think the al MC is an incredible bike for the price. I've ridden with a few friends who have them and they LOVE them. And they didn't mention them feeling stiff at all, and they weigh less than me. Congrats.
THIS.

I've got the Al MC and doesn't feel as stiff

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
THIS.

I've got the Al MC and doesn't feel as stiff
To what are you comparing it? Just curious, as that is left out.

I will add that Alex was sharp to go with Ti, steel and aluminum as options as the Middlechild has proven to be a top notch frame design.

801 - 820 of 841 Posts