Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

781 - 800 of 841 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Question for you guys. I have had my Child for a while now and am on my 3rd Maxxis 27.5x2.8 DHR 2 on the rear. I keep slicing sidewalls. Trying to come up with a solution for a more robust tire. I'm thinking of dropping to 27.5x2.6 front and rear and running a heavier casing tire. The other idea I am tossing around is running it as a mullet with a 29x2.6 front and 27.5x2.6 on the rear again with a heavier casing tire. What have you guys tried. Give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Question for you guys. I have had my Child for a while now and am on my 3rd Maxxis 27.5x2.8 DHR 2 on the rear. I keep slicing sidewalls. Trying to come up with a solution for a more robust tire. I'm thinking of dropping to 27.5x2.6 front and rear and running a heavier casing tire. The other idea I am tossing around is running it as a mullet with a 29x2.6 front and 27.5x2.6 on the rear again with a heavier casing tire. What have you guys tried. Give me your thoughts.
Last season i was on 2.8 x 27.5 and i loved them.
This season i bought a new bike with 35imm on 2.6 x 27.5 and was planning to go on 2.8 but i also loved those 2.6. So from my experience on wide rims you have lots of options to find 2.6 or 2.8 for where you ride. Each year i buy lightly used tires so if i do not like them i can just resell. You might want 165mm arms to avoid pedal strikes, for me 175 should only be for road.

·
NJ Gator
100 Posts
This may be backwards how I am thinking about it, but...

Does the wider rim expose more sidewalls? What is the ID? Is the HR2 “true to size?” Is it potentially reasonable to consider a thinner ID rim? Wondering if the HR2 is not truly wide enough for the rim... Just spit-ballin here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last season i was on 2.8 x 27.5 and i loved them.
This season i bought a new bike with 35imm on 2.6 x 27.5 and was planning to go on 2.8 but i also loved those 2.6. So from my experience on wide rims you have lots of options to find 2.6 or 2.8 for where you ride. Each year i buy lightly used tires so if i do not like them i can just resell. You might want 165mm arms to avoid pedal strikes, for me 175 should only be for road.

I was leaning toward the mullet to get the bottom bracket back up from dropping to the 2.6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does the wider rim expose more sidewalls? What is the ID? Is the HR2 “true to size?” Is it potentially reasonable to consider a thinner ID rim? Wondering if the HR2 is not truly wide enough for the rim... Just spit-ballin here.

You may have a point. I'm on Duroc 50 wheel with a 48imm width. The tire measures out just under 2.8 but the profile if the sidewall is almost strait if that makes sense. I am running a Minion DHR2 and just feel the side wall is not what it should be. I have minions on another bike in 2.5s both EXO casing and its just way thicker then on the 2.8. Maybe just a narrower wheel and hope the EXO+ become available soon in 2.8

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I was leaning toward the mullet to get the bottom bracket back up from dropping to the 2.6.
Yeah i understood your thinking. Either way might give a good result. I was just trying to show there are many options available to you. Last season i could get shorter arms for only 45$. Will the new wheel fit your fork? For me there was not room enough so the short arms was inexpensive and the result was fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah i understood your thinking. Either way might give a good result. I was just trying to show there are many options available to you. Last season i could get shorter arms for only 45$. Will the new wheel fit your fork? For me there was not room enough so the short arms was inexpensive and the result was fine.
The 29er wheel will fit the fork and I have wheel already just no tire.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've not tried them in 27.5 but I really like my new Schwalbe Big Betty 29x2.4 in supertrail casing. This new casing is probably like an exo+ or even dd. It feels really stiff even running 24 psi à 205lbs. Paired with a Magic Mary 2.6 as a front, it really is a game changer in rocky, rooty, muddy conditions compared to DHF2.5/Agressor2.5 or Dissector 2.4/Rekon 2.4. They are available in 27.5 x 2.6

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
I have a solution, stop looking for the sharpest obstacle and choose your line properly! Every time a bloke chooses to ride the glass recycling center, they have the same problem even running semi-pneumatic tires...

On a less sarcastic line... Work on the riding style and loosen up! Soaking up inertia with knees and elbows is all it takes to open up a world of possibility. Hell, I was trialsin under the Grand Avenue bridge on Sunday with Sunspot who happened to be wearing his Nobby Nic Performance 3.0's with no snakeoil, um, snakeskin. A few light rim touches exactly like I do with my KOXX Red Sky, no leaks, cuts or injury of any kind to report. The city dutifully built a trials park with wonderful boulder placement that can be ridden during a deluge. It has been a long trip to gaining trials abilities without car crushing bicycles! Hours of practice, several thousand hours have been burned in the name of progression.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Send it!!! Middlechild is such a great bike for goofing around!

Attachments

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Lewis, that is the Middlechild living the dream! Good stuff...

·
Registered
44 Posts
2020 vs 2021

Does anyone know if there will be significant differences between the 2020 and 2021 MC? I'm thinking of picking up a frame and would probably snag one of the current batch (delivery Nov 30) if there won't be any radical geo changes, etc.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Does anyone know if there will be significant differences between the 2020 and 2021 MC? I'm thinking of picking up a frame and would probably snag one of the current batch (delivery Nov 30) if there won't be any radical geo changes, etc.

Minor differences so far as I can see in the geo charts.

ST Length
V1 470
V2 440

Standover;
V1 714
V2 698

Nothing that will have detrimental effect on ride quality. I would say, either V1 or V2 would serve well since the changes are cosmetic more than anything

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Great, thanks, Banshee. After you posted the geo I dug around the RSD site more and found the chart for 2021. Thanks again.
Glad to help.
With the changes I noted, either frame is viable since the have little to no difference that is going to affect fit or feel on the grand scale.

·
NJ Gator
100 Posts
Probably looking at a straight seat tube vs a a curved seat tube. However, there is a benefit that really stands out above all and makes the V2 rise above the V1 and makes it completely obsolete.

It will be available in purple.

BOOM. Mic drop- Gator out.

Too bad I am color blind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The curved vs straight seat tube is probably right. One thing I noticed that might be significant related to that change is that the "Max Dropper Post Insertion Length" is now unlimited on the V2. Specs on the V1 are: Small 180mm, Medium 220mm, Large 240mm, XL 260mm.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Probably looking at a straight seat tube vs a a curved seat tube. However, there is a benefit that really stands out above all and makes the V2 rise above the V1 and makes it completely obsolete.

It will be available in purple.

BOOM. Mic drop- Gator out.

Too bad I am color blind.
While it is not totally straight, it is adjusted for longer droppers.

The curved vs straight seat tube is probably right. One thing I noticed that might be significant related to that change is that the "Max Dropper Post Insertion Length" is now unlimited on the V2. Specs on the V1 are: Small 180mm, Medium 220mm, Large 240mm, XL 260mm.
This it the only reason for seat tube change.
Frankly, I travel light...

·
PoDaddy
162 Posts
Hey guys, just ordered a middle child!

I do have a quick question. Im planning to build it up with a 120mm fox 34. Is this enough fork, or do you think the bb will be too low?

I’ll be running 29x2.5-2.8 tires (I change them out a lot, but that will be the average.

My riding is all XC, no big jumps but it is rocky. Also, I pretty much have to stick with 175mm crank arms (38” inseam).

I saw that hard tail party set his up with a 120mm fork but don’t know his crank length/curious to hear ride reports.

Thanks!

781 - 800 of 841 Posts