Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1923 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just to be sure there's no confusion with all this talk of adjustable dropouts in the Mayor's thread...

The mayor does not have adjustable dropouts right? They're fixed at 465mm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bumping this back up. Anyone own one that can give a little review?
I owne one since 3 weeks now and I am very pleased with it.

I like the built (1X10), the handling in the trail is great. Probably one of the best choice in that price range for a 190mm bike that can theorically run BUD and LOU on 100mm rims.

I noticed a bit of flex when I torqued the crank, and it's a harsh ride when the trail get bumpy... But you get what you've paid for, after all it's an aluminium frame with no suspension...

I mainly use it in flat hard snow trails and snomobile trails... Where it's a pleasure to ride...

I changed the 32t for a 30T and swap the cassette for a XT one. I bought a BUD and LOU duet for snowy condition and they are a lot better than the stock tire. I keep the VEE rubber for the hard pack rides where they perfome a lot better.

I juste hope that winter won't go away too fast !

·
Registered
140 Posts
I asked about the adjustable dropouts at the time when the production chainstays went up 10mm. The more ''trail'' geometry, 30lb and best bang for the buck had me put a deposit in December. I am annoyed the geo has changed (CS from 455 to 465mm and Head angle from 69d to 70d). In trailbike terms I feel I paid for a Blur TRC and received a Trance X.

How does it ride? Better than anything in its price range. The controls and transmission are good. The carbon fork look a lot like the one on the Yampa. The gearing is too tall for me. I put a 30T in front and it's still too tall. The tires are good but not great. I do not race so for me in the 4.0 range Nates are kings. I have a large frame and I reduced the stem length from 90mm to 70mm to put more weight in the rear. You can drop 1lb by changing to lighter tubes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
6 feet and 32in inseam. On my Mach 5.7 I have a 70mm stem and push my saddle all the way forward with a straight seatpost. On the RSD I put the saddle in the middle of the rails to put more weight on the rear tire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got mine last week. It's the only fatbike I've ever ridden. It seems winter is almost over here, but it was fun to ride on the melting snow, where the tires still had enough float to not wallow around.

I have no issues with the tires, I actually find the braking and standing pedalling traction to be a huge upgrade over 2.35 tires on my MTB. I've had both locked up cornering or braking down steep hills but have still felt in control. Pushing up to 30km/hr on paved roads, I do notice some instability, probably want to keep the hands on the bars at those speeds! So I haven't tried Nates, Buds, Lous, HuDus, but I don't really have reason to change tires right now.

32T single ring would be tough on longer hills. Clutch derailleur and NW chainring is well...clutch!

I've 6'2, running a large, and I put a 110mm stem on there.

Hard to beat the value. A sub $2k fatbike that you don't have to swap tires on. I guess some would want to go with lower gears or a 2nd ring, but otherwise, pretty dialed build out of the box.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently e-mailed RSD to ask if the Mayor's carbon fork was available to purchase separately; I received a prompt, pleasant reply telling me it would be available this coming winter and would cost $399.00.

I was a bit disappointed I couldn't buy one now but there you go.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I recently e-mailed RSD to ask if the Mayor's carbon fork was available to purchase separately; I received a prompt, pleasant reply telling me it would be available this coming winter and would cost $399.00.

I was a bit disappointed I couldn't buy one now but there you go.
Wouldn't the On One Carbon Fork work ?? Its much cheaper with no weight limit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wouldn't the On One Carbon Fork work ?? Its much cheaper with no weight limit.
I'm after a carbon fork with a tapered steerer. I might go with the Corvus fork but I'm not sure about all the angles on it. It looks a little "fussy" to me.

I should've bought the previous Fatback carbon fork with the tapered steerer but by the time I'd made my mind up Fatback had sold them all. If anyone has one for sale please get in touch with me. Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My frame has the tapered head tube but it came with the headset with the reducer for 1 1/8" fork , i don't know how much of a difference it would make with tapered fork never tried one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Picked up a mayor last week really loving the snow riding. Its myfirst fatty. Im hooked. Any suggest on a cheap way to drop a pound or 2 off bike?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Weight of stock
Tubes : 460g x 2
rim tape: 85g x 2
cassette: 396g
seatpost: 278g
handlebar: 288g
stem: 151g
seatpost qr: 60g
F+R brakes: 680g
rotors: 136g x 2
grips: 92g
seat : 220g
rear shifter + clamp no cables: 116g
rear deraileur: 291g

Start saving!

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,628 Posts
Hey can one of you guys flip your bike upside down can take a picture of the rear tire clearance?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sweet! Finally a Ont.Canada Fat bike company in mind backyard.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Maybe Frantiklex can help us by posting official photos of a BUD/Lou combo. That would help people make up their mind. I get asked this question more than ''how does it ride?''.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The bud/lou combo fits, but it's a really tight fit. A few people had issues fitting them. We are still investigating why. It should fit. Fat-bike.com just posted something on twitter about how fun the bike is, but the fit of bud/lou combo was tight. If you have a Mayor and your Lou doesn't fit, contact us directly.

61 - 80 of 1923 Posts