Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1923 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, to be clear (since other RSD bikes are mentioned) what is the Mayors msrp? also, WTF is up with one chain ring? i am not just riding fat bikes to the mall thank you very much....

·
Registered
20 Posts
huh, one ring. well, thanks for the confirmation....but thats a biG fat tire deal breaker on RSD for moi. this bike is for AT (all terrain use) so 2 rings is a must. not sure what sorta riding ppl would buy a fat bike for to be able to accomplish it on a single ring. looks like adding: front derail w lever and a ring could be $200 as well.....all the best selling these things...they look koool.
peace out and happy new yar
ps: live in the west so of course we use these things in the mtns ;) . grade = need for granny

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
By the sounds of it, you're looking for the "entire" package. Well, you are only $200 away from it. For $1850 + $200 = $2050 plus taxes, you can have an ideal/perfect bike. Without the FD, extra shifter, extra ring and pedals, the bike only weighted in at 29lbs. It's all based on one's fitness level. Some people might want to put a larger ring in the front, others might feel more confortable with a granny. What we chose to offer is the middle of the road set-up, which allows anyone to change it based on their fitness or where they ride. In the grand scheme of things, you can easily push that bike uphill on a 32T single ring with 11/36 rear.
The value we offer is outstanding. We did our homework. Try finding a better build for that price.
Thank you for your comment. We value all opinions and who knows, maybe we will offer a dual ring set-up in the future as an option.
Happy New Years. Best

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
What we chose to offer is the middle of the road set-up, which allows anyone to change it based on their fitness or where they ride. In the grand scheme of things, you can easily push that bike uphill on a 32T single ring with 11/36 rear.
The value we offer is outstanding. We did our homework. Try finding a better build for that price.
Yep. Most any bike I would buy off the rack and uncustomized would need at least a few changes to suit my needs. I would never eliminate a bike over a single chainring. Oh, and I wouldn't create an account on a website just to let everybody know I wouldn't buy a bike due to a chainring.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Outstanding value it is. I put a deposit for a large. The 1x10 was the thing that sealed the deal for me. I have so many chainrings in the parts bin that I don't want to pay for them and the 32t NW can be put on my trail bike. To me that is 200$ of value ADDED!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
not sure what sorta riding ppl would buy a fat bike for to be able to accomplish it on a single ring.
Not sure what kinda people need two rings. All my bikes have one, and cassettes from 11-28 to 11-36. Realize too that cassettes now go up to 42t. If you can't climb something with 30 or 32 up front and 42 in the rear, it's not the bike that's the problem. I've been running like this for years now and it's so nice not having to worry about two shifts, especially given how poorly front derailleurs have always worked. The biggest reason we don't ride single rings up front with setups close to the 1x11 drivetrain is that we have convinced ourselves we cant. We can't turn those gears. Trust me, humans are far more adaptable than that...

·
Registered
20 Posts
it's alll where the bike is used boys...relax slowdanger....you are getting scary.
jayem, in BC we go UP hills/mtns...no luxury of one ring...but it would be kool if we could.
also, it's alll goood...more fat bikes the betta.
peaCe

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
it's alll where the bike is used boys...relax slowdanger....you are getting scary.
jayem, in BC we go UP hills/mtns...no luxury of one ring...but it would be kool if we could.
also, it's alll goood...more fat bikes the betta.
peaCe
lol, so thats the only place with mountains? 17136_575139464138_1160480_n.jpg DSCF1512b.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
frantiklex...
by the way, thanks for havin class on this forum...
a buddy said that the first 'generation' mayors can not accept a front derail and that the second batch would be able to be run with a FD...is this correct?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Q&A from their FB page:

What type of front derailleur is required? I have D-type at home.

Answer from RSD Bikes : That should work if it is for 120mm spindle. Max 36T

·
1,711 Posts
frantiklex...
by the way, thanks for havin class on this forum...
No fat biker has class. We are classless. You obviously aren't a fat biker.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
No offense Jayem, but in some areas of BC single rings don't cut it. I've ridden plenty in AZ, CO, UT, ID, WA, MT, Switzerland, Costa Rica etc and have been totally happy running a single ring for the vast majority of those rides. Here we often have long steeper technical singletrack climbs that are also often wet and slippery and in order to run a single ring set up I'd need a 26 up front, which unfortunately limits the higher range needed for ridge lines and returning back to home or the car. Now on a Fat bike it is a bigger deal, locally we average about 30 ft of snow a year and mild-ish temps, the snow gets softer and climbing gets to be a bit more interesting, the lower gearing is really needed, more so than the higher for sure. I can see a 22 or 24 single ring working on a fat bike here I guess...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
No offense Jayem, but in some areas of BC single rings don't cut it. I've ridden plenty in AZ, CO, UT, ID, WA, MT, Switzerland, Costa Rica etc and have been totally happy running a single ring for the vast majority of those rides. Here we often have long steeper technical singletrack climbs that are also often wet and slippery and in order to run a single ring set up I'd need a 26 up front, which unfortunately limits the higher range needed for ridge lines and returning back to home or the car. Now on a Fat bike it is a bigger deal, locally we average about 30 ft of snow a year and mild-ish temps, the snow gets softer and climbing gets to be a bit more interesting, the lower gearing is really needed, more so than the higher for sure. I can see a 22 or 24 single ring working on a fat bike here I guess...
Well, during our ride last evening, myself on a single ring and the others on doubles spun out uphill at pretty much the exact same spot due to losing traction. Not sure what difference having ultra-low gearing would make there. highres_319111842.jpg

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
True, some spots are hard to beat regardless of gearing. That's where tire pressure and tread come in.
The lower gearing kicks in on prolonged climbs, steep switchbacks, getting moving after spinning out or stalling on a steep sections etc.

41 - 60 of 1923 Posts