Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a lower fork service on my Rockshox Sektor Silver 140mm.

Afterwards, at my usual settings (medium/80psi), sag is over 50% just sitting on the bike. I can easily press the forks down full travel.

If I set compression at the hard end (Lock "#1") the fork seems almost locked as normal, for setting #2 also seems hard & about normal.

#3: now super soft & can compress almost fully. There is increased noise of air sound or squishing, louder compression sound than normal.

Strangely, now dialing back to #2 will now also be super soft & compress 50% quite easily. When earlier it was hard.
back to #1, & then both #1 & #2 will be hard again.
Very strange...

For the service, I just cleaned the sponge rings & re soaked them with RS 15wt oil. Wiped down the stanchions & seals. Re-greased the seals. Re-assembled & put the required 6ml of 15wt fluid in.

I have tried removing air & re-inflating several times over. Same problem.

Any ideas?

Here is a video of the problem:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5wt finally arrived so I did a full disassembly, cleaned & checked.
I dont have a service kit with o-rings because I havent been able to get hold of one. USA shops want $50 postal cost for a small bag of rubber washers.

So I think maybe the problem is the top valve cap for the air side assembly. It doesnt sit in the air tube flush & straight. I push it on & then it sort of pops up again slightly on one side.
I guess a new o-ring would be the thing to try so im trying to find a seller in Asia with normal prices.

Has anyone who has done this before noticed the valve cap not sitting flush on the air tube? I'd like to get a comment if that is not normal.

I get the impression that the fork isnt holding air more than 40 psi or so. After reconnecting the shock pump & pumping once it shows about 40psi. But some time these things are temperamental & i cant remember how it was previously.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If ever there was an example of 'absolute bellend' then I, ladies & gentlemen, am surely it. :madman:

After almost 2 weeks I finally hit upon the idea to check the pressure using a separate gauge. oh, look :eekster: When my shock pump says 80psi, it's actually 42 on the digital tester.
So all this time I have about 50% less air in my fork.
Now I actually set the pressure correctly to 77psi using the digital gauge my forks are nice & smooth & sag is spot on.
(Had to pump the shock pump up to almost 150psi)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.