Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know what many of you think but I'm considering selling my Pushed Vanilla and trying a Revelation or a Pike. I like the Vanilla but I want the adjustability an air shock provides...particularly with how well today's air forks work.

I'm a cross country ride who likes a light bike (around 28 lbs). I don't do big drops and I'm a finese rider (fairly large fear gland) who barely ever breaks anything.

I can't understand the RS website. So, could you help me with terms. Poplock is a handlebar mounted low speed compression that allows the floodgate valving to allow less or more oil to flow. Right? I would hate something on my bars like that. You have a model that has a twist turn going between 95 and 130mm. Wouldn't use it. Spot climbs great in 130mm. Revelation has an A-C of 508mm and Pike is 518. Both forks are the same internally with the Pike being beefier.

If wanted, Push could rework the internals. Oh, I hate the mahagany color. Which fork is lighter in the Revelation line? What does A and D mean? What fork would you recommend?

Thx,

Jaybo

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,369 Posts
Pop-loc is the handlebar mounted lockout that basically closes up the compression damping to prevent oil flow. The floodgate is the valve that determines how much bump force it takes to override the lockout. I think both Revelation models weigh the same. The difference between them is whether or not the floodgate adjustment is externally adjustable. A is the U-Turn Air, D is the Dual Air.

I am running a Revelation 426 Dual Air with a Pop-loc on my Spot and I like it so far (I've only had it for about a week). I really like the Pop-loc for doing long, smooth climbs. I agree that travel adjustment is something that's not necessary. I can't speak for the performance of the Pike, but the Revelation is a sturdy fork that is very responsive on the small bumps, and ramps up nicely for the bigger hits.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I think A-C means Axle to Crown, meaning the distance from the wheel to the crown. A longer A-C would make the bike taller and different head angle, although in this case it would not be much difference.

The poplock in the handlebar is just a remote gimik that would let you control travel or something on the fork. A Pike with or without a poplock behaves identical, just with the poplock you can adjust it from the handlebar. RS U-Turn is a technology that lets you change fork travel. An advantage of being able to lower travel is that you lower a little bit the front of the bike, which on long climbs make it more confortable.

I would think that the Pike is stronger. Another thing, the pike has the Maxle, which require a 20mm front hub, so you would need to replace your front hub. Probably this would be a reason to go for the Revelation? It depends on what you want to change in your bike.

And, I think Push only does Fox forks, but I'm not sure.

·
1,316 Posts
Hey rzozaya gotta reread the OPs post again...

It was A and D not A-C (Its some goofy stuff on the RS website) no sweat though. I know inglés is only your second language. ;) Im not the person to talk to about first hand knowledge but PUSH is starting to do mods for RS stuff as well as Fox. Having said that I think you still have to know someone, as its not available to general public just yet. If you check any of SqeakyWheels recent posts you will see he is running a PUSHed Pike.

·
Bodhisattva
10,876 Posts
CDtofer said:
It was A and D not A-C (Its some goofy stuff on the RS website) no sweat though. I know inglés is only your second language. ;) Im not the person to talk to about first hand knowledge but PUSH is starting to do mods for RS stuff as well as Fox. Having said that I think you still have to know someone, as its not available to general public just yet. If you check any of SqeakyWheels recent posts you will see he is running a PUSHed Pike.
PUSH mods for RS coming in the spring.

A= air u-turn
D= dual air which has the same springs as U-turn but no adjustable travel
C= coil

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
I think both Revelation models weigh the same. .
The model without the U-turn is almost a 1/4 lighter, at 3.74 pounds vs. something like 3.98 for the u-turn.

I've been considering this fork as well for my spot. And they have in black and white along with the mahogany. (mahogany?)

The poplock doesn't interest me at all. I'm riding a pushed Talas now and just leave at full travel. Climbs well, no need to lockout or drop travel with the spot.

·
Bodhisattva
10,876 Posts
S-Works said:
The poplock doesn't interest me at all. I'm riding a pushed Talas now and just leave at full travel. Climbs well, no need to lockout or drop travel with the spot.
poplock & U-turn not the same.
poplock is the remote for compression adjustment
u-turn adjusts travel.

u-turn is quite helpful. poplock is a waste unless you're racing and want to switch compression settings rapidly.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,369 Posts
S-Works said:
The model without the U-turn is almost a 1/4 lighter, at 3.74 pounds vs. something like 3.98 for the u-turn.
The 426 and the 454 models should weigh about the same. The only difference between them is the adjustable floodgate. Yes, the U-turn mechanism adds a quarter pound.

The "Diffusion Black" on the Revelation is a matte black that matches the matte black on the 5 Spot pretty well.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want the plane jane model but hate mahagany

The Squeaky Wheel said:
poplock & U-turn not the same.
poplock is the remote for compression adjustment
u-turn adjusts travel.

u-turn is quite helpful. poplock is a waste unless you're racing and want to switch compression settings rapidly.
I think the plane jane model is brown: UGH! I don't want U Turn, compression dampening adjustment from the bar, or a brown fork. I'm going to go by Universal today and talk to Mike. I appreciate your information to help my research.

Jaybo

·
Registered
47 Posts
You say you ride cross-country... and that the 5 Spot climbs great with 130 mm upfront.

Let me tell you: it doen't! I have a Pike in my 5 Spot and ride it at 95 mm about all the time. I had a Fox 100 mm in it during the summer with light wheels. That's cross country riding!

If the choice is between Pike and Revelation: definately a Revelation with U-Turn!

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
CDtofer said:
Hi CDtofer... reread the OP post, he DID say A-C. On the Push industries site there's no reference to RS, but it is goog if they're opening they're offerings.

" Revelation has an A-C of 508mm and Pike is 518. Both forks are the same internally with the Pike being beefier."

If I were building a new bike, I would go with the Pike, but if I'm just upgrading from a Vanilla, the Revelation would be easier because of the 20mm hub. But I think both are very good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Steelboy said:
You say you ride cross-country... and that the 5 Spot climbs great with 130 mm upfront.

Let me tell you: it doen't! I have a Pike in my 5 Spot and ride it at 95 mm about all the time. I had a Fox 100 mm in it during the summer with light wheels. That's cross country riding!

If the choice is between Pike and Revelation: definately a Revelation with U-Turn!
Seems to me like you're missing the point of the 5-Spot, perhaps you should have bought a Flux or maybe a SC Superlight. As for XC riding you can do it on a 25lb steel hardtail or a 40lb dwonhill rig (If you have the legs and bloody mindedness), fork travel matters not one jot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.