Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my 2008 Recon on my bike since March, and I'm not too impressed. The QR dropouts are uneven, so the wheel sits in the fork about an inch further from the non braking side. Today, I decided to do some hard stops with my new brakes, to get the pads bedded in, and then the tire starts rubbing the lower leg of the fork. This hasn't happened before. I see nothing about a recall on the RS or SRAM site, which I don't quite understand. I don't have a job or any form of income, so a new fork is pretty much out of the question. Does anyone else have this problem? I will post a picture in a few minutes to show you what I'm talking about.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Is the rim dished correctly? Why do assume the dropouts are uneven. Is it tight enough in the dropouts?
Post a pic of the dropouts and all the parts of the QR

You've been riding this fork since march...not if it's that bad. You need to check if it's in properly.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
larlev said:
Is the rim dished correctly? Why do assume the dropouts are uneven. Is it tight enough in the dropouts?
Post a pic of the dropouts and all the parts of the QR

You've been riding this fork since march...not if it's that bad. You need to check if it's in properly.
I put the rim in backwards and it was the same way, so it's not dished incorrectly. I assume the dropouts are uneven because I have read about this problem before on a bunch of SIDs. It was the same way with my old wheel, and different QR. I will go take and post some more pics...

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Well can't tell. Have you put a level on a rod or something while in the dropouts. If there is lumps in the dropouts take some sandpaper and sand the dropouts, making sure there are no paint burs or splotches if you haven't done it already.

It only takes a small amount to throw it off...yours is pretty damn excessive. You can't even ride like that.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
norcosam said:
What happens if you put the wheel in the other way around,So the disk is on the wrong side,
Where is the tyre then?
It's the same way. The tire is still way off center towards the caliper side.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I say take it into a shop and have them call SRAM/RockShox. My guess is they'll replace the lowers. This was a common problem on SID WC forks last year (09) and lowers have often been replaced with current stock no charge.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
How in the hell could he have rode it like that since march? There is something else going on. His disc brakes would never have been adjusted or working. Dropouts don't just become uneven like that overnight...if they are uneven.

HT are you sure the qr is in the dropout all the way, and staying there when you tighten it up?

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
larlev said:
How in the hell could he have rode it like that since march? There is something else going on. His disc brakes would never have been adjusted or working. Dropouts don't just become uneven like that overnight...if they are uneven.

HT are you sure the qr is in the dropout all the way, and staying there when you tighten it up?
I am POSITIVE that I put it in the dropout correctly (put the bike upside down, put the wheel in the dropout, tighten QR).

I have ridden with it like that since March. I just didn't really think anything of it. Yes, my brakes were adjusted and alligned correctly. It wasn't something I did to the fork to make them uneven. I'm pretty dang sure that it was a manufacturing defect. It wouldn't make sense how that would happen. I didn't do any awkward landings, so I don't know how I could've done it. Keep in mind that I only weigh 100 pounds.

Are there any people from SRAM/RockShox on MTBR that I could message or could see this??

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy Shittttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1k Posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may notice that I have Enduro seals.......will SRAM try to wiggle their way out of replacing the fork because of that?

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
larlev said:
How in the hell could he have rode it like that since march? There is something else going on. His disc brakes would never have been adjusted or working.
Believe me, I've seen plenty of people ride for a year or more on crooked lowers before they noticed and/or brought their fork in for service. It's not that uncommon. If the disc hasn't needed adjusting, it's either because the lowers have always been that way or because the disc tabs are so close to the dropout and the problem is in the arch or upper regions of the sliders.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This whole situation SUCKS. I want to ride!!!

What are some good forks under $300?

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Then those people and YOU dont know jack about how a bike should work....good lord. Maybe you should learn about your bike and not post count. You ARE that dude that gives advice like you've ridden for years....when you don't know jack. I thought that was you.
One would think that with over a 1000 posts you would have figured something was wrong long before now.

Blows my mind that you have rode like that since March... and never thought something was wrong.

Your on your own kid...good luck

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
larlev said:
Then those people and YOU dont know jack about how a bike should work....good lord. Maybe you should learn about your bike and not post count. You ARE that dude that gives advice like you've ridden for years....when you don't know jack. I thought that was you.
One would think that with over a 1000 posts you would have figured something was wrong long before now.

Blows my mind that you have rode like that since March... and never thought something was wrong.

Your on your own kid...good luck
:eek:

I didn't really think it was that big of a problem. I realized that I needed to have it looked at when the wheel moved around under hardish braking... I had sent it back to RockShox and took it to my LBS to replace the seals and U-Turn unit and they didn't say anything was wrong with it (back between January and March). I just figured it was fine. I knew it looked weird, but it never affected performance.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And it was my first real good fork. I just figured that it would have been made right, so it never crossed my mind that it was a defect until I read the mega thread on the Sid WCs with this problem.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Sorry man, but RS will frequently return a fork with defective parts on it. Just because you sent it in doesn't mean it came back perfect, and even if you send it in for this, it doesn't mean it'll be fixed when you get it back.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anybody here have experience with a Manitou Match? Marzocchi 44 RLO? RS Tora SL Solo Air?

I'm not even old enough to get a job.....This sucks SOO much. At least you guys have some money that you could get yourself out of this situation with. My dad sorta gets it, so he may be able to help me out, but my mom doesn't understand at all. She doesn't even know about this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts