Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,130 Posts
I've seen reports that the Sapphire 34's OTT feature really does make a major difference in initial suppleness, and the damper aint half bad either. The one advantage you get with DVO is the call-in custom support, something I don't think really exists for Fox and RS.

Fox 34 vs Pike Charger2.1 will probably put the Pike on top. The Pike is a stiffer fork for sure, so that alone earns it some points. The FIT4 damper reached its pinnacle when it matched Charger 1, when the Charger 2 RC2 damper dropped, Rockshox took the lead, and the GRIP2 damper surpassed that...but never trickled down to the 34.

As a result, the 34's FIT4 damper is a bit dated.

If Fox released a GRIP2 damper for the 34, we'd be back in business.

Personally, of top "trail forks" I'd pick:

1) DVO Sapphire 34 D1
2) Pike Ultimate
3) MRP Ribbon (technically a different class of fork, but weight wise its close to the Pike)
4) Fox 34

That being said, I've only ridden the FIT4 34 and the Pike Charger 1.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Personally, of top "trail forks" I'd pick:

1) DVO Sapphire 34 D1
2) Pike Ultimate
3) MRP Ribbon (technically a different class of fork, but weight wise its close to the Pike)
4) Fox 34
I ordered a Sapphire 34 D1, but had to return it.
The tire clearance is really bad.
With the fender there is only space for 2.4 tires with only 5mm left to the fender.
Without the fender a 2.8 is already slightly touching the crown bridge.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
It may depend on where and how you ride.

I have both a 34 SC Factory 120 and a Pike Ultimate 130.
In rocky, rooty New England...they are about the same, with maybe a slight nod to the Pike's overall damping...but the Pike chassis is a little stiffer...but the Fox is lighter.

I rode a DVO Sapphire for a day....great fork...but too tight for tires I run on my own bikes.(as mentioned above. I believe the next fork up in their line has much more clearance)

MY favorite fork is a Manitou Mattoc Pro....tons of adjustment and great damping action in a stiff chassis.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Need a new fork to fit a 29x3.0 tire (specifically XR4 on 40mm i.d. rim)

How's the clearance on the Pike Ultimate and 34 Step-Cast?

Reports on how firm the lockouts are (specifically RCT3)?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Toss-up between these two forks for my new build and was wondering if any one had any opinions as to which would work better?

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pr...ver-51-offset-debonair-fender-maxle-stealth-1

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pr...lack-orange-15x110mm-44mm-offset-tapered-2020
I was tempted to get a Pike Ultimate as an upgrade for my Ibis HD3 (I am on a Pike Dual 2015), but eventually decided to get a Push ASC3. It was on sale for my pre-boost Pike (a $700 cost saving vs the Ultimate) but more importantly, and truth to be told, I still long for my Fox Vanilla-Push, circa 2005, and despite my weightweeniesm I wanted to be on coil again.

Read the reviews (not that it is needed, but I'll post my feedback in a couple of weeks) and you might want to consider getting a used or older Pike (like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockShox-P...581040?hash=item522933d530:g:A2IAAOSw-89d6DFW) and swap in the ACS3. Add an AC97 and you really have an ultimate fork ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.