Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pike that is only traveling about half way down thru the travel. I assume it is the o rings that are letting the fluid by and into the bottom of the legs. I have looked around with no luck and was wondering if you can use o rings from the hardware store or do you need special o rings for this job? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
413 Posts
mrgto said:
I have a pike that is only traveling about half way down thru the travel. I assume it is the o rings that are letting the fluid by and into the bottom of the legs. I have looked around with no luck and was wondering if you can use o rings from the hardware store or do you need special o rings for this job? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
It is posible to use O rings from the hardware store, however getting a good match may be difficult as the o rings are Metric. Is it an air or coil? I have full kits for sale in the clasified section under forks.
PM me if you are interested. I have sold to many people here as well as Ebay and everyone has been very pleased so far.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a coil. Is their anything else that i should look for when i tear the fork down? The seals seem to be good. They are not leaking. The fork seems to be working great except for the travel issue. Also, i noticed RS says you can use 5w 10w or 15w oil. Is there a "best oil" and weight?

·
Registered
413 Posts
There are seals and then there are o-rings. When the O rings in the seal head of the fork begin to leak, the oil works its way into the fork lowers. Then the lockout stops working and the travel becomes limited as the fork begins to bottom on the oil.
If there is a lot of oil in the lower on the Motion Control side, then this is what has happened to you. Replacing the two O-rings on the seal head where the rebound shaft runs through should solve the problem unless the seal head is cracked, so inspect it carefully. There is an inner and an outer o-ring on this. There are also two o-rings on the top and bottom of the Motion Control cartridge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts