Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Stupid is, as stupid does
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the shock M/M tune. The air volume can is huge. I had to pump the shock to 340psi to achieve 25% sag. I weigh 235 geared up. Thankfully I have some volume reducing bands I can install. I probably won't get a ride in until Mon or Tuesday. I am very curious to see how it rides. I'm coming from a Float X.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I purchased the shock M/M tune. The air volume can is huge. I had to pump the shock to 340psi to achieve 25% sag. I weigh 235 geared up. Thankfully I have some volume reducing bands I can install. I probably won't get a ride in until Mon or Tuesday. I am very curious to see how it rides. I'm coming from a Float X.
Interesting. What did you dislike about the Float X? When will it be on ebay? ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a Monarch Plus RCT3 Debonair from Ebay. Mounted it on the new Kona Process 153 and I notched the same thing, I needed to put nearly 260psi and I'm barely at 25% It's very stiff but responding well on larger bumps. Is there anyways to make it more plush but still maintain the proper sag?

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. What did you dislike about the Float X? When will it be on ebay? ;)
I only had one very short ride on the Fox Float X. I rushed to get the bike built so I could ride it and borrowed some parts from friends. I was actually quite impressed by the Float X. If I had to say the one thing that I disliked about it was the rebound adjuster. Besides that it was very impressive.

The reason that I parted with it is I have a monarch plus on my other bike. Also I have just becomes disillusioned with Fox over the last few years. I have never ridden a CTD front fork. Every front or rear Fox shock I have ever owned I have had to send to Push to get tuned for my weight. I have Pikes on both of my bikes and I have never experienced a fork work so well for me straight out of the box. The last reason and this one I didn't even realize until I mounted the all black debonair on my bike was it look's sick on there. The Fox shock looked real snazzy on my bike with it's gold Kashima coating. But with my black Yeti frame, black RS Pike up front and now tis black shock........... Well it just looks...... Sick I do believe is the word :)

I already sold the Float X on the classifieds. It paid for my new shock.

As far as using less air pressure........... Ugh!!!!! I ran into this problem in my Mojo HD as well. Both bikes need small volume cans and the Monarch plus shocks only ship with high volume and truth be told I am not sure if RS even makes small volume can's. That is why I ordered a M/M tune instead of a M/L tune. I have a bunch of Vlume reducing bands left over from my HD that I will try sticking in the shock to see if it will help me run less air pressure. I am not going to be able to ride until monday or tuesday. I may actually drop the sag down towards 30% for less air pressure. Just riding around my neighborhood last night and hopping off curbs it felt a bit harsh. But again, those are square edged hit's. The trail will be the real measure of how it feel's.

Well that is all I got for now. I will try to post up some impressions once I get a couple of rides on the shock and get thing's sorted out.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Air volume sleeves installed

Well I had time today to take off the air can. The first Picture is my regular Monarch plus on top and the Debonair on the bottom. You can see how the Debonair has the extra or second air volume chamber vs the shock on top just has the single chamber. The 2nd pic is just the Debonair. 3rd is my regular Monarch Plus. You can see how it only has the single space for air volume. The 4th pic is the Debonair with Volume reducers installed.

When I put the shock back on the bike and added air I only needed to add 320psi. At least it's lower than the 340ish or so I had to add without it. What I realized today is I have never called Sram to ask them if they have a Low Volume Air Sleeve. I am going to call first thing tomorrow and ask. If they do that will be great for both of my bikes.

Tomorrow afternoon I am going to get a ride in and I will post some impressions. It is too bad I didn't ride the Float X more to really be able to compare it to something. it really was a nicely tuned shock for a big guy like myself. But anyway I seem to love the adventure, head aches, and triumphs of messing around with my bikes.

Attachments

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just got off the phone with sram. The air can that is on there dis the low volume can. With the debonair he did confirm what I already suspected. The air bands on the smaller sleeve will affect small bump sensitivity and on the larger area it will affect ramp up. Guess I may have a bunch of tuning ahead of me. I will just have to ride more. I can't wait to get out today.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First Ride

Well I had my first ride last week. I wish that I had written this immediately when I arrived home. So I will try to remember. One thing to note this is essentially my first ride on the bike with it being built up. My front fork was not dialed and the Knob on top of the Pike stopped working. I have a new cartridge on the way. Also still sorting out seat height, stem height etc & so on.

After 1/2 a mile of mild climbing I stopped and pulled the shock off. All those volume reducers I added made the shock be pretty much coked out. So I pulled them trail side, re-inflated the shock and things got better. I first set it 25% and climbed for 3.5 mies. Than I have a nice little downhill downhill that includes braking bumps, some small drops and a small jump (I am not an air guy) It handled it all with ease but when I got to the first rest stop I than dropped the sag to about 28% I finished the ride out with this. The ride is 15 miles round trip with steep, loose, rocky, fast, rutted terrain. Many up's and downs. I ride mountain ridges essentially. It handled it all with ease. The bike climbed fine in the middle setting and only used firm on the really long steep lung busting climbs. I found the shock worked best in the middle setting which was the same finding I had with the Float X air. On that shock I had settled on Middle setting and the #2 CTD setting. On the Debonair I never bottomed the shock and the next ride it will be set at 30% sag. I still need to get the front fork fixed. that is what really threw the ride off for me. and made me not be able to get a good grasp for how the bike handled. I should be getting some more rides in on it net week. One thing I will say is the high pressures that I needed to use to achieve proper sag did not affect the ride quality at all. I decided to stop looking at the psi gauge and just focus on the sag amount. I will keep you all posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
It looks fantastic with that setup, like it should have come from the factory. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more updates soon. :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Just a weird camera angle, or did your saddle get jacked up on the ride? It looks like it's angled down almost 10 degrees.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
i don't disbelieve what op says with his experience, but that high psi is just "whack" to me. Maybe it is more oil than air volume?

i have a dbair on my '95 and only use 140-150 psi in it (26-38% sag), if the debonair volume is big in the air spring the dbair must be gigantic, right now i'm 225-235 geared up.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Odd, I have a new monarch(not Debonair) with the low volume can. I weigh slightly less than you and run about 190 psi in the shock. I have to think the high psi you're running is due to the larger volume negative spring pushing longer through sag. Although the sb95 seems to have a pretty flat leverage curve I'm looking to get some more volume out of the can and will likely try a Debonair can when they're available.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Just a weird camera angle, or did your saddle get jacked up on the ride? It looks like it's angled down almost 10 degrees."

I was wondering when someone was going to chime in on that. Unfortunately I am having some bad plumbing problems going on. On my other bike I have a Specialized Romin saddle that works great but is quite hard. I was hoping that this saddle would work out for me with it's large cut out and very cushy padding. Unfortunately it did not. I have to run it that inverted just to ride and it still irritates me. I have another saddle on the way.

On a side note my bike is out of commission for a while. My fork needs tone sent back to sram to be inspected. I keep having cartridge issues. So it will be a bit before I chime in again.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i don't disbelieve what op says with his experience, but that high psi is just "whack" to me. Maybe it is more oil than air volume?

i have a dbair on my '95 and only use 140-150 psi in it (26-38% sag), if the debonair volume is big in the air spring the dbair must be gigantic, right now i'm 225-235 geared up.
I went through the same thing on my Ibis Mojo HD. When I changed to a Monarch plus. with a M/L tune which is what Ibis recommends for the HD. The only theory that I can surmise (And again my theory's are amateurish at best) If you take a look at the Fax air can's they are tiny. What I have also noticed about the RS rear shocks is they are very linear (In the monarch plus line) On my Mojo I won't even mention the amount of PSI I had to use to achieve proper sag and I am using a high quality zero loss shock pump). I changed the tuning on the shock on the Mojo to a M/M tune and my air pressure decreased significantly and the performance of the shock was much better. I think this is why RS doesn't make a stock M/L tune. I believe that the Yeti uses a M/L tune as well and I purchased a M/M tune Monarch plus for it. Regardless of the air pressure my initial impression of the shock was very good. Its just the front fork was acting so unpredictably that I couldn't focus as much on the rear.

The CCDBA is an incredibly different beast. I also had on on my HD. It uses significantly less PSI. It cannot be compared to any different shock out there. I was going to purchase a CCDBA for this bike but I did not want to add the .7lbs to the frame. which is the difference in weight between the two shocks. I ride an XL. If I had a smaller sized bike I might not have cared as much. But at my size & weight it makes a difference.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Odd, I have a new monarch(not Debonair) with the low volume can. I weigh slightly less than you and run about 190 psi in the shock. I have to think the high psi you're running is due to the larger volume negative spring pushing longer through sag. Although the sb95 seems to have a pretty flat leverage curve I'm looking to get some more volume out of the can and will likely try a Debonair can when they're available.
Something I need to call Sram about is I noticed my Debonair air can says HV on it. If that is the case I will order the LV can. If that is the issue it will make me slam my head against the wall because I noticed the shock on my HD says the same thing. I know I called sram about this once but just over looked asking them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
"Just a weird camera angle, or did your saddle get jacked up on the ride? It looks like it's angled down almost 10 degrees."

I was wondering when someone was going to chime in on that. Unfortunately I am having some bad plumbing problems going on. On my other bike I have a Specialized Romin saddle that works great but is quite hard. I was hoping that this saddle would work out for me with it's large cut out and very cushy padding. Unfortunately it did not. I have to run it that inverted just to ride and it still irritates me. I have another saddle on the way.

On a side note my bike is out of commission for a while. My fork needs tone sent back to sram to be inspected. I keep having cartridge issues. So it will be a bit before I chime in again.
Yikes!

Check out this saddle... spendy, but I think might really help you. The way they sort of "waterfall" the saddle from back to front and let the back "rock" a touch might just be the trick. Another suggestion would be the WTB Pure V... I have that on mine and it's a super comfortable saddle... I've had numbness issues in the past but ZERO with the Pure V. Plus the raised back part kind of "locks you in" on the saddle SQlab Active 611 Titube Saddle - Review - Pinkbike

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yikes!

Check out this saddle... spendy, but I think might really help you. The way they sort of "waterfall" the saddle from back to front and let the back "rock" a touch might just be the trick. Another suggestion would be the WTB Pure V... I have that on mine and it's a super comfortable saddle... I've had numbness issues in the past but ZERO with the Pure V. Plus the raised back part kind of "locks you in" on the saddle SQlab Active 611 Titube Saddle - Review - Pinkbike
I have been on WTB saddles since their very early days. My problems started while riding their saddles and it breaks my heart to not be on them anymore. Where my problem is located is at the very tip (No pun intended) of the saddle. Which is where the specialized saddle has a good cut-out channel. I am almost tempted to write WTB and lament about how I can't ride their saddles anymore and perhaps they want to help me. But I will keep that in mind. Unfortunately the saddle of have coming for this bike is this Adamo Peak | Innovative SaddleMaker It looks funky but cushy. The real question for me will be if when doing steep combing and I need to have my weight on the tip of the saddles if those two little nubbins try to do a rectal exam on me or are not enough of a point to get my weight on to. I have another few saddles on my radar as well. Time will tell. But the last ride I did on this bike I was in pain for three days. So the search will be long until I find the right one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bummer man. Good luck on finding something that works. Take a look at that SQ lab... founded by PHDs who did the research that lead to (they invented) the idea of a cut out in the first place.

·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay the bike is back. I finally got the fork back last week from Sram. Amazingly enough I have 2 clicks less LSC than the previous fork. I was told by sram that it has to do with the shim stack. the average amount of LSC is 12 but there is a variance between 10-14 clicks of LSC. Go figure. Anyway I am going to try and hop on the bike soon ad get a ride in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts