Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07' U-Turn Coil Lyrik purchased new 6 months ago. Unfortunately it hasn't been performing at all how I wanted and am starting to get tired of it.
I weigh about 175lbs and run the standard spring installed. Sag seems to be fine on the bike and the first few cm of travel are nice and plush as it should be. However when I come to the 115mm mark things rapidly change.
At this point the fork loses all of its plushness feeling more or less like the mission control was enabled. If I stand up and pedal the fork compresses to 115mm and stays there. It doesn't bob up and down but rather feels like it is locked out. If I hit a hard bump it compresses and takes the hit but it doesn't react on smaller hits once compressed to this point. Feels like it just locks at this point and becomes super progressive.
Just had the fork serviced and overhauled and even the entire mission control unit was changed as the shop suspected it had to do with this part but no real improvement.

I have ordered a softer spring now but it won't arrive until next week and I need the fork for some lift riding this weekend, What is there else to do?
Also as the sag is fine and I can compress the fork almost through all of its travel if I really press down on the handlebars hard I am afraid a softer spring will become too soft.
It doesn't really feel like it is the spring itself as it does compress fine on really hard hits but on softer hits it doesn't budge past the 115mm.

Does it make any sense to try and change to another i.e. 2.5w instead of 5w? Has anyone tried this?

Any other tips or tricks that could help make the fork more plush and active through all the travel?

Also does anyone have a link to where to download the service manual? Never opened a lyrik but assume it is similar to my pike which I have serviced before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The spring is not the issue, the stock spring should be correct for your weight...and you would not be getting the correct sag if you had the incorrect spring.

Have you ever taken the fork apart? checked the bushing lube? This should be done quite often as there is only 15ml of lube in there (if correctly filled...some seem dry from the factory). With no bushing lube, you could see increased friction and be doing damage to your stanchions.

Other possibilities....
1 the u-turn mech is messed up some how
THis is SUPER simple and you should be able to tell if something is broken with a quick glance. With the spring out, you can also compress the fork to determine if the increase in force is due to the damper.....ie is there a noticable increase in damping when you cycle the fork w/o a spring...

2 the damper is low on oil (sometimes this blows a seal and dumps into the lowers). This causes two things....no compression damping in the initial travel (no oil on the comp piston) and hydraulic lock at som point in the travel as the lower leg is full of oil (it should only have 15ml).

Get the service instructions from the SRAM site and take a look...My guess is problem 2

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't taken it apart myself. Had it serviced at my lbs who took it apart and should have gone through it properly, changed oil, lubed everything .etc which perhaps they didn¨t.
Anyone have a direct link for service guide for the lyrik? Only found air spring service for the 2-step and this is a coil fork.

Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
davep said:
The spring is not the issue, the stock spring should be correct for your weight...and you would not be getting the correct sag if you had the incorrect spring.

Have you ever taken the fork apart? checked the bushing lube? This should be done quite often as there is only 15ml of lube in there (if correctly filled...some seem dry from the factory). With no bushing lube, you could see increased friction and be doing damage to your stanchions.

Other possibilities....
1 the u-turn mech is messed up some how
THis is SUPER simple and you should be able to tell if something is broken with a quick glance. With the spring out, you can also compress the fork to determine if the increase in force is due to the damper.....ie is there a noticable increase in damping when you cycle the fork w/o a spring...

2 the damper is low on oil (sometimes this blows a seal and dumps into the lowers). This causes two things....no compression damping in the initial travel (no oil on the comp piston) and hydraulic lock at som point in the travel as the lower leg is full of oil (it should only have 15ml).

Get the service instructions from the SRAM site and take a look...My guess is problem 2
I had the same problem with my U-turn. The first time I changed the oil, I found out that the dampers had low oil, but I didn't bother to disassemble the fork totally, I just put the recommended oil in their. But after this I couldn't compress the fork past 115mm, it became stiff at this point, it felt like something is blocking it from using it's full travel.

I took the fork apart and found that their was too much oil on the lowers (Right Leg) than the recommended 15cc. I checked for seal problems, but the seals seemed ok. It seemed that oil got to the lowers somehow. I put in new oil, 15cc lower, 112cc upper.

After this the fork feels great, I'm using pretty much of its travel, rebound/compression works!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scottw: Link to the service guide doesn't work. I think it is in the media section where you have to log in with a password thus I can't access it when clicking on the link.
Perhaps you could e-mail it to me or someone else has another link which works?

darkzeon: Did it not compress at all beyond the 115 mm or was it just much harde to compress it past 115? I can still compress it beyond 115mm if I hit it really hard i.e. drop down a step or something but light to medium blows won't let it move past 115mm.

·
Registered
480 Posts
"darkzeon: Did it not compress at all beyond the 115 mm or was it just much harde to compress it past 115? I can still compress it beyond 115mm if I hit it really hard i.e. drop down a step or something but light to medium blows won't let it move past 115mm."

Yes, the fork would not compress beyond 115, the damper oil sipped into the lowers that it had too much in it. I took the oil out cleaned the fork, filled it with new oil. It's been 2 months and the fork is operating great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.