Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a chance to test the Maxxis Ardent last saturday. I must admit that I was really skeptical that this tire was going to work for me. It looked a little on the spindly side and the knobbage seems a bit sparse (like the hair on me head).

First things, first...I weighed one of the two samples that I received.

The one (of two) that I mounted up weighed in at 760 grams. The tire that I was testing prior to this was a 1000 gram WTB Stout. That tire has nice, meaty , gooey, soft knobs. But, the rolling resistance was killing me. And the weight was a bit excessive.

My "go to" tire on the rear, has been the Panaracer Rampage. It's got decent fairly aggressive knobs, especially on the sides and the weight is pretty respectable - about 710 grams. Decent rolling resistance + good overall sidewall burliness.

Anyway.. I mounted up the Ardent with a tube. With nothing to base it on..just a gut feeling...I felt that testing it tubeless might end up being disasterous. So, I played it safe and ran a normal duty 700cc tube, mounted on a tubeless Stan's Flow rim. I ran my normal 29/30 PSI. Normally, I run the Panaracer tubeless, "Stanitized".

The first thing I notice is how fast the Ardent rolls. Our favorite local ride starts with a long climb of 12 miles rocky, loose terrain. Anything from loose,chunky shale, rock garden stuff... to talcum powder and kitty litter on top of hardpack. There's a long 3.5 mile stretch of asphalt thrown in, that is brutally steep (21 degrees) in spots.

So, the low rolling resistance was immedietely appreciated. But, how would it stack up on the trialsy boulders and stunts that I like to play on? Not to mention, how was it going to behave once we started desending and got into the chunky rock gardens down below?

The thing that kept resonating with me, all day, was how fast this tire is. It accelerates quickly. When I felt like just sitting, recovering, and cruising along..the bike seemed to keep it's momentum. Where it really paid me dividends- was when I need to accelerate quickly, with a short run-in, to get up onto a boulder or stunt.

Despite the modest knob height all around, this tire had a decent grip to it. I suspect that it may not be the hot setup (for me) on some of the steeper, loose climbs once it begins to show some wear and loses it's sharp edges. It was borderline as it was, on the really steep, loose stuff.

Personally , I'd like to see a bit more height or meat (or both) on the center and side knobs. Perhaps a bit more width on the casing? 50/75 grams of additional rubber won't hurt this thing.

I don't know if I'll test it on the front or not..I probably should to give it a fair shake. But, with a full rigid bike I have to go with a high volume front tire or else my hands and arms take a beating. The WTB WeirWolf is the only tire that I've found that works for me(in that regard).

I felt less beatup and fatigued at the end of the day with this tire. Probably because I wasn't battling the high rolling resistance of that Stout all day long. I was quite surprised at how well it worked all around. Again..I'd like to see a bit more meat on it..but, overall Maxxis has a real solid offering with this rubber.

I have no idea how it works in wet or muddy conditions...we won't see rain for a long time.

I'll get a second ride on it, tomorrow.

https://s289.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=https://vid289.photobucket.com/albums/ll228/Aquaholic2008/logrollclean.flv

Attachments

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guitar Ted said:
Maybe the reason the Ardent felt so fast was that you were coming off "weight training" with the Stouts, eh? ;) :D
No doubt, Theodore! I was thinking the same thing. That Stout feels awesome descending in the chunk but, %$$#^&** that thing is a pig to lug around all day on a SS.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Maybe the reason the Ardent felt so fast was that you were coming off "weight training" with the Stouts, eh? ;) :D
The Stouts are pigs, but boy, are they great in the chunk. Good 26" tire, especially on the front.

After running Stouts, I switched back to the Rampages. The Rampages feel reeealy fast now.

And if you find the Stout too slow, you best avoid the Prowler. Rolls even slower, but boy, does it grip.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Around these parts, I'm the "chunk"! :D We don't have much for that 'round here, but I do love the Stout in the snow. Great for greasy silty soil too. Anyway.........

That Ardent looks similar to a Michelin AT XC tread, open, low knobs, and rolls okay. I'll have to look these up.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
so asswipe, do you like it better than the Rampage? I dont give an eff about your fat girlfriend the stout, just curious as to your thoughts on this vs Rampage

ps STFU, b!tch

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
tschzaholic said:
I had a chance to test the Maxxis Ardent last saturday. I must admit that I was really skeptical that this tire was going to work for me. It looked a little on the spindly side and the knobbage seems a bit sparse (like the hair on me head).

First things, first...I weighed one of the two samples that I received.

The one (of two) that I mounted up weighed in at 760 grams. The tire that I was testing prior to this was a 1000 gram WTB Stout. That tire has nice, meaty , gooey, soft knobs. But, the rolling resistance was killing me. And the weight was a bit excessive.

My "go to" tire on the rear, has been the Panaracer Rampage. It's got decent fairly aggressive knobs, especially on the sides and the weight is pretty respectable - about 710 grams. Decent rolling resistance + good overall sidewall burliness.

Anyway.. I mounted up the Ardent with a tube. With nothing to base it on..just a gut feeling...I felt that testing it tubeless might end up being disasterous. So, I played it safe and ran a normal duty 700cc tube, mounted on a tubeless Stan's Flow rim. I ran my normal 29/30 PSI. Normally, I run the Panaracer tubeless, "Stanitized".

The first thing I notice is how fast the Ardent rolls. Our favorite local ride starts with a long climb of 12 miles rocky, loose terrain. Anything from loose,chunky shale, rock garden stuff... to talcum powder and kitty litter on top of hardpack. There's a long 3.5 mile stretch of asphalt thrown in, that is brutally steep (21 degrees) in spots.

So, the low rolling resistance was immedietely appreciated. But, how would it stack up on the trialsy boulders and stunts that I like to play on? Not to mention, how was it going to behave once we started desending and got into the chunky rock gardens down below?

The thing that kept resonating with me, all day, was how fast this tire is. It accelerates quickly. When I felt like just sitting, recovering, and cruising along..the bike seemed to keep it's momentum. Where it really paid me dividends- was when I need to accelerate quickly, with a short run-in, to get up onto a boulder or stunt.

Despite the modest knob height all around, this tire had a decent grip to it. I suspect that it may not be the hot setup (for me) on some of the steeper, loose climbs once it begins to show some wear and loses it's sharp edges. It was borderline as it was, on the really steep, loose stuff.

Personally , I'd like to see a bit more height or meat (or both) on the center and side knobs. Perhaps a bit more width on the casing? 50/75 grams of additional rubber won't hurt this thing.

I don't know if I'll test it on the front or not..I probably should to give it a fair shake. But, with a full rigid bike I have to go with a high volume front tire or else my hands and arms take a beating. The WTB WeirWolf is the only tire that I've found that works for me(in that regard).

I felt less beatup and fatigued at the end of the day with this tire. Probably because I wasn't battling the high rolling resistance of that Stout all day long. I was quite surprised at how well it worked all around. Again..I'd like to see a bit more meat on it..but, overall Maxxis has a real solid offering with this rubber.

I have no idea how it works in wet or muddy conditions...we won't see rain for a long time.

I'll get a second ride on it, tomorrow.
Tscheezy's got nothing on you !!!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
He just wants everyone to know he's one of the kewl kids who got some Maxxis rubber to test. The Ardents don't sound any better than the Rampages.

I don't think I would buy another Stout either, the added traction does not compensate for the added weight, maybe the sidewall is a little more durable(I ripped the Rampage sidewall) but the knobs are soft/flexy and they do not hookup in a predictable manner in the loose stuff here. Plus the tire does not hold air setup tubeless and will leak down during rides sometimes.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I've had one of the Michelins for a while - took it off a few weeks ago. Had it on the rear and liked it until things started to get really dry here. There are not many "intermediary" knobs on the tread - like the Ardent. In the dry, the Michelin is great in a straight line, but when you get it leaned over just a bit, there are few knobs to do anything and the tire feels really sketchy. I am keeping it as I think it'll be an awesome choice once things get wet here in NorCal, but that may be a while from now. Put an Ignitor on the rear, and it is better, but still looking for something that I like all-round as much as an Exiwolf on the back of a 29" SS. Had been looking at the Ardent - but the sparse knobs keep me wondering. Be interested to hear what you think of braking/cornering on loose-over-hardpack. Rode for 20+ years in San Diego, so I know the conditions. We are having similar conditions up here (not as rocky!) but powdery/loose this season.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
ATBScott said:
still looking for something that I like all-round as much as an Exiwolf on the back of a 29" SS. Had been looking at the Ardent - but the sparse knobs keep me wondering.
Have you tried the Conti Mountain King 2.4? No shortage of knobs there! Not the lightest/fastest, but not bad either considering its size and how much traction it offers.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Round 2

Got another long ride in yesterday, on the Ardent. Pretty much backed up what my initial impressions of this tire were. I'm feeling it..it's a keeper.

I did pop another spoke yesterday. So, I may throw a fresh PantyRacer on there just for a quick comparo.

Pics/vids from yesterdays antics.

Shut it, Squeaker...that's cold!

The Neanderthal Roll.
https://i289.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid289.photobucket.com/albums/ll228/Aquaholic2008/MVI_3913.flv

https://i289.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid289.photobucket.com/albums/ll228/Aquaholic2008/MVI_3894.flv

The Dental Plan
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Aqua - were you using the Ardent on Iron Mtn in your vids? That was precisely the place that I felt the Michelin lacked in - at least for me. Sandy/loose over hard or loose-surfaced DG - which I remember Iron Mtn having a wee bit of! I used to ride that on a rigid 26" Ritchey - ate a few chainrings!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Another spoke?, it's an epidemic!!

I ripped the sidewall yesterday on my other Rampaperthin, the tread is toast tho so I guess it did it's job. I'm not digging the Stout either, not sure what I should try.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Paulitik said:
What kind of bike is that? It's sweet, especially the fork.
:D based on the budget in your other thread, this one is unobtanium. Oh, and the wait list to get on the wait list is full...

I do believe there is a steel framed version out though....

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.