Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
epic? Well, it was 50 miles long, 8850' high, and just shy of 9 hours. That might be epic. Though nothing 'epic' happened along the way.

Again, no pictures. The last couple rides I noticed how long I spent stopped. I felt I needed to make up some time somehow, so I left the camera in the car. There are some pictures of the upper ridge here Mt. Lillian Uber-epic , and pictures of the lower ridge here Little Camas Creek Epic . By the way, Zilly named that ride 'epic', not me. Still can't post a 3D GPS track yet either.

I almost didn't do this ride. I was actually headed home thinking the weather wasn't going to be good Sunday. I camped at the Merritt Lake TH. Found an AM station in the morning, weather report was good. Better than yesterday. I headed back to the DG TH.

Still got there later than I wanted, slept in. Hit Devils Gulch at 9:04 am. No camera. Slower pace. Still got to the top of Devils Gulch at the same time, less stops on the way making up time.

Hit the road slower too, just didn't stop and gawk. Pedaled on around to Mt. Lillian. Decision time again. Up and over? Or pull a go around. I pushed up Lillian yesterday, I've never ridden the road around, I went around. It's longer mileage, but no climbing to speak of, 400' of easy road. Less than 2 1/2 miles around Mt. Lillian. In the end, I wish I would have gone up and over, more on that later.

I made it to the upper Tronsen TH, getting there at 2 pm. With less stops I figured I'd made up 1/2 hour on yesterday. Doing okay. 5565' total ascent done.

Down the ridge, do the pushes, make the Red Hill junction in 1/2 hour, it's 2:30 pm. The sun is out. Over 6 hours of daylight left. Down I go.

The next stop is another Tronsen Ridge TH. It's at the top of a fireroad that comes up from Hwy 97. This section of Tronsen looks pretty popular with the hikers, it's a nice bit of downhill, be aware. The singletrack is really nice, narrow, not hammered by the moto's since it's not that steep. Enjoy. I hit that TH at 2:50 pm. 6250' done, just under 30 miles over.

The next section of the ridge trail starts out with a push, a small drop, and another push. The next drop brings you to the end of the trail itself. The lower section of the ridge is only about 4 1/2 miles, half of Red Hill/Red Hill Spur, so you better want it. It's still 18 miles to the car, and you've done 7000' of climbing. :skep:

From the Red Hill trail junction you're doing Zilly's Little Camas Creek Epic, backwards. One reward is a little over 2 miles of pretty much down fireroad. Get some wind in your face for the first time in a while.

Middle ring it on out the road (700' of climbing along the way) to the trail along Little Camas Creek. This trail is a blast down! A couple tiny climbs, a little rutted, but still fun. Hit the Sand Creek(?) road and find the bottom of the Red Devil trail.

The Red Devil trail womped me. I forgot the climbs in this direction. 1000' of climbing to get up that trail before it lets go of the goods. But man o' man, those goods are good. The last blast down Red Devil rocked. I was hootin' and hollerin'. Tronsen Ridge was done.

Here's the GPS track with waypoints along the way. The number is the total climbing to that point in the ride.

Monte

Attachments

·
Moist and Delicious
555 Posts
Wrd. Big loop. Sounds exciting. God, I can't wait to get out there!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Monte,

I imagine you won't be back for a couple years. Two climbs up DG in one weekend and then that long fire road to mt Lillian :eekster: You did skip the side trip to the lakes though. Maybe Justin will add that to the route :)

I am taking August off. Hopefully, we'll get to do a couple rides together again. Can't wait!

·
Fake it 'til you make it
357 Posts
pinchflat said:
Monte,

I imagine you won't be back for a couple years. Two climbs up DG in one weekend and then that long fire road to mt Lillian :eekster: You did skip the side trip to the lakes though. Maybe Justin will add that to the route :)

I am taking August off. Hopefully, we'll get to do a couple rides together again. Can't wait!
What's up, Igor? Glad to see you're checking the forum.

I won't miss the lakes and will be climbing 7100 instead of DG. I'm planning on doing the route twice with the Ape and I fully loaded, both days, "no touching the car" rule. We'll see.

·
Fake it 'til you make it
357 Posts
Ready to smoke it......

I'll be cutting the Camas Creek part and doing Red Hill/Devil instead. Up and back Tronson to make the connection. The Ape is loaded at 40lbs including food and the water bottle. I've got 15lbs on my back.

I'm totally stoked, as this will be the shakedown; I'm not waiting for the 4th weekend.

Have a great weekend! :thumbsup:

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JLantz said:
Ready to smoke it......

I'll be cutting the Camas Creek part and doing Red Hill/Devil instead. Up and back Tronson to make the connection. The Ape is loaded at 40lbs including food and the water bottle. I've got 15lbs on my back.

I'm totally stoked, as this will be the shakedown; I'm not waiting for the 4th weekend.

Have a great weekend! :thumbsup:
Cool, looking forward to the RR.

Monte

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.