Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sure seemed like the stars kept aligning to tell me not to go, but there was no way I wasn't giving it a go after all the crap my wife & I had been through. It was such a huge sense of relief when we arrived at the condo in Canmore and the bike was all put together. From there all I had to do was ride. Seemed easy.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sorry things didn't work out for you. Such a bummer.

How do you like the Lauf fork?

If anyone is interested in what racing was like on the front end of the 2018 Tour Divide, I can recommend the book "Just Ride: Racing 2,725 Miles to Mexico". I found it to be a gripping account of the race, and like schillingsworth, the author Ty Hopkins suffered terrible saddle sores--as well as other physical issues. The author is some kind of exercise scientist, and he took urine samples every day, and after the TD his team analyzed the samples. The book includes discussions of the results as well as other interesting medical tidbits throughout the book. 5/5 stars.

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry things didn't work out for you. Such a bummer.

How do you like the Lauf fork?

If anyone is interested in what racing was like on the front end of the 2018 Tour Divide, I can recommend the book "Just Ride: Racing 2,725 Miles to Mexico". I found it to be a gripping account of the race, and like schillingsworth, the author Ty Hopkins suffered terrible saddle sores--as well as other physical issues. The author is some kind of exercise scientist, and he took urine samples every day, and after the TD his team analyzed the samples. The book includes discussions of the results as well as other interesting medical tidbits throughout the book. 5/5 stars.
Thanks, man. The Lauf fork was fantastic for this route. It really helped ease the punishment from the washboard sections and there were a lot of them!! I wouldn't use it for trail riding around here, not what it's designed for. But if you like the gravel grinder series and the like, I'd highly recommend it.

As for Ty's book, I read it and used quite a few tidbits during the ride. It's a fantastic read, one of those books that's hard to put down. He has a great writing style and mixes in plenty of humorous moments, mostly at his own expense!! Ty is lining up for the Colorado Trail Race at the end of the month, stacked field BTW, so that will be a fun one to watch. 5/5 me too!!

·
Registered
Revel Rascal
597 Posts
Congrats, John! I was there watching live as your dot arrived at BML, and CS's dot crossed the finish line at Antelope Wells not much more than 15 minutes later. Fine day for the Arizonans! I've been watching daily from the start. Now just hoping that Hal Russell stays ahead of the 30-day flag. So sorry that you were forced to scratch in Salida. Seemed that you were fully prepared, both physically and mentally. There's just no overcoming ailments that show up out of nowhere and take you out. Josh Kato can surely speak to that. Thanks so much for all the updates and content. You got lots of daily coverage on the DotWatcher site. I look forward to all the upcoming entries to your blog. Heal well.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
As for Ty's book, I read it and used quite a few tidbits during the ride. It's a fantastic read, one of those books that's hard to put down. He has a great writing style and mixes in plenty of humorous moments, mostly at his own expense!! Ty is lining up for the Colorado Trail Race at the end of the month, stacked field BTW, so that will be a fun one to watch. 5/5 me too!!
Well, then you knew what you were in for! Heal up quick and get back out there--we want to see pictures of what the TD spits out at Antelope Wells.

Hey, Josh Kato is a nurse and he carries a special kit for saddle sores. He said it's the same stuff that hospitals use for bed sores.

"Butt Kit" - A&D ointment, clotrimazole antifungal cream, benzoyl peroxide ointment, alcohol hand sanitizer, wet-wipes (this care-kit often resided in my seatbag)
It was in his gear list when he won the TD. He describes how he used the ointments in the comments. Maybe it will be useful for Round 2??!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Great read, John. Kudos to you for putting in the effort something like the Tour Divide demands. Bummer you were derailed, but still amazing!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The Canadian Rockies really blew away my expectations.
My god! Stunning images.

Blackshale Creek suspension bridge.
So awesome.

My camp spot for the night at Round Prairie.
Beautiful.

This would be the only night I slightly regretted not pushing later into the night.
Hike-a-bike up Koko Claims. In the dark(or is it light until midnight up there?). In bear country. Eeeeek!

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My god! Stunning images.

So awesome.

Beautiful.

Hike-a-bike up Koko Claims. In the dark(or is it light until midnight up there?). In bear country. Eeeeek!
Thanks!! Sunset up on the far northern part of the route was around 9:50p, didn't need lights until after 10:30p!! Took a few days to get used to that. As you'll find out in later posts, I did my share of solo night riding in Grizzly country. Two notorious passes in particular. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I did my share of solo night riding in Grizzly country. Two notorious passes in particular. :thumbsup:
I read about a TD rider who contacted a bear expert to get advice about riding in bear country. The expert advised, "1) Carry bear spray; 2) Don't ride by yourself in bear country; 3) Don't ride at night in bear country. The TD rider replied, "How about 1 out of 3??!"

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I read about a TD rider who contacted a bear expert to get advice about riding in bear country. The expert advised, "1) Carry bear spray; 2) Don't ride by yourself in bear country; 3) Don't ride at night in bear country. The TD rider replied, "How about 1 out of 3??!"
I carry bear spray and ride solo in bear country every summer. Never at night though. Guess bears don't hunker down at night? They don't see too good and depend on their sense of smell. But I would imagine schillingsworth was pretty ripe:)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.