Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up Ranger Creek today. Had in mind hitting the cabin and heading up the ridge as far as I could go, and either go down Deep Creek, or turn around and go down Palisades. I hit snow (solid big patch) about 2 miles above the cabin where the trail is on the north side of the ridge. From there to the turnoff to Noble Knob was pretty solid snow, but that's less than a mile I'm sure. Small patches from the NK turnoff up to the ridge and a few more on the "sunny" side. They're still there probably because it's at 5800' or so.

While I was in the middle of the big patch I was contemplating turning around, I wasn't totally sure how far it was to the ridge top again. Then I heard squealling disc brakes. Talked with 3 riders, they had gone up Corral Pass via the road and were on the way down. They told me how much snow they'd crossed, I told them how much I'd crossed, everyone kept going, me up, them down.

It was about 3 (11:00 start, even with camping at Dalles Campground :skep:) when I came upon Deep Creek, so down I went. With the drive I wanted to get home at a fairly decent hour, plus I'd never been down Deep Creek. Some snow at the top, maybe a dozen blowdowns total, all in all pretty clear. I could see that someone had skidded down the trail already, yesterday probably.

So, the loop is "doable" with a little snow on the north side of the ridge below the Noble Knob turnoff. Once past that, it's no snow. Can't say anything about Palisades about blowdowns, haven't been there.

Monte

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ya we did Ranger on Fri, went up 72 road and then down Ranger. started out good then later started to rain not bad though. About 3 or 4 trees down across Ranger. Green river trail sure was good. The snow on the north should be gone in a week or so.

·
born again
652 Posts
Your snowy avatar seems fitting after reading this ride report. ;) I can only imagine how much snow there was on the east side of the ridge heading out to Deep Creek. I think I'll wait for things to melt out a bit more before doing this ride.

How was Osborne?

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gearz said:
Your snowy avatar seems fitting after reading this ride report. ;) I can only imagine how much snow there was on the east side of the ridge heading out to Deep Creek. I think I'll wait for things to melt out a bit more before doing this ride.

How was Osborne?
Do you mean between Corral Pass and Deep Creek? I didn't go past Deep Creek trail towards Corral Pass, so I don't know what that part was like.

Osborne was sort of a bust. You probably already knew that would be the case. We hit 3' of snow on the road at 4000', within a mile of the trailhead below Towhead Gap. We came up 84 in a CW direction. We kept going up the road. The stretch from the TH to Towhead Gap was patchy, it gets some sun. We went up towards the lookout, made it most of the way, turned around within 1/4 mi I'm sure.

Headed down 85 and climbed to the lower section of Osborne Mt. and did the last 2.6 miles of that. 28 miles total, maybe 6 miles of singletrack :skep:

Good to be out though, should have been there if you could have. Did you get out?

Monte

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.