Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like JLantz said, fuuck, that's a hard ride. I did the "better route, in retrospect" described at capitolforest.com. crtlnds group, get your ride on!

I rode the ride as described, from Mima Fall campground. Up Capitol Peak via #6, that looks like fun the other direction. Yeah, I was probably going the wrong way, I didn't meet a single rider on that section. Actually I only met a "couple" and a solo rider between Mima and Falls Creek. The only other riders I met were climbing out from the washout above Hell Creek. One guy had what looked like a big Hannebrink or Monster T fork. Damn.

One rider stopped (he was climbing, I told him to keep going I was off the trail, he said "I need a breather"), he commented on the heat and how it would be the hottest part of the day on my way out. I was still not sure about the washout, but didn't say anything. I was hoping for a way around, over, down, or something. Arrived at the washout, it's big. 200' across, or more. Impressive. A tiny little culvert feeding it water at the top where it cut loose. Looks like it's been planted with trees, I don't know when it happened.

From the top on C-1000 you can look down and see a singletrack switchback, and it looks like someone has humped either up or down between C-1000 and that switchback. Down I went.

Hit the trail, ride that for a short distance to the edge of the washout again, pick the bike up and head for the creek at the bottom. I could see #6 heading off to the right in the bottom of the drainage. Hiked over the debris to the trail and started riding again. Sort of.

This portion of #6 is in a world of hurt. Don't know if the washout has anything to do with that, or not. But, it hasn't been maintained in a while, blowdowns a go-go and the trail is the overflow creekbed for Iron Creek. Once you cross Iron Creek, it gets much better. If you do this ride and drop into Iron Creek, there's no way out but up. 3 different ways up, but up no matter what. Though it is downhill to Porter Creek campground and doubletrack there, but I didn't do that section.

Climb out of Iron Creek, cross C-3000, and traverse back to #30, drop that to Camp Wedekind for the beginning of the "downhill" on Mima Porter #8. Here's the first real downhill of the ride. It was a well needed breather. Pretty much downhill from Wedekind to Fall Creek. I needed that.

But don't worry, your climbing is not over. Got confused for a moment finding the connection to #8 again, but found it. Look at the map dummy.

Next comes Sherman Creek. "Downhill", but just barely. And horse chopped. Next comes Lost Valley Creek. This was the worst part of the ride for me. Uphill, horse chopped suckatude. At this part of the ride (over 40 miles into it), it was worse than climbing out of Iron Creek.

Turn hard right at the connection with #20 and "the climbing" is over for the most part. There are some great sections here to Mima CG. Still some little climbs. Oh, and one wicked sharp right turn.

One freaking mile from the car. 53 miles done, one to go. Carrying just a bit too much speed. The trail takes a 90 deg right turn with a bridge over a small creek. The bridge has slats across it for the horses I suppose. Anyway, I grab a bunch of brake, the front tire grabs lots of traction on those slats, and it's OTB for me, with speed. I touch and roll onto my back, landing on the Camelback hard. Bike on top of me. Fock. That was really stupid. Tweaked the back, still sore today. Spasms a little bending over. Damn, that was stupid.

Made it back to the car, and that was it for me. Mean Green done. Hard ride for sure. Get your ride on!

If you care, 54 miles, 8 hrs moving, 10 total, 6780 total ascent. Used the water filter twice to top off the bladder.

Monte
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Monte,

I've done the two figure 8's from the two ends of the ride and I gotta say you did each of the three parts the wrong way :eek: From Mima Falls I would take #8 then stay on #8 at Fall Creek but switch to #6 at Wedekind and take the other trail on the way back.

Iron creek is not a lot of fun coming down but I would totally hate climbing up that way like you did. There is a mud hole on that trail coming down where people always go over the handle bar (unless they know it's coming). I remember riding with Preston and he was ahead of me and I am thinking should I tell him or watch what happens. Then I see him make a move to go over the shallow-looking mud puddle A moment later his front wheel is stuck hub deep and he is flying over the bars. Very funny :)
(The mud hole is right after a left switchback.)

Even Lost Valley is kind of a fun trail coming down. #6 coming down from the top is also very fun.

Finally, the best time to ride CF is on a sunny day in February after a couple weeks of dry weather. I know that's about the same as once in a blue moon. But it's super sweet because the trails are closed to horses, you almost never see hikers and the air is so clear you can see 7 (or is it 8?) volcanoes if you take the side trip to the top.
 

·
Sweet
Joined
·
533 Posts
Sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good job!
I am still sticking with my version of the route though! I think it the most fun for the pain!
I am still thinking we will take C1000 up from the washout as it is more of a group type ride and for fun more than to prove anything.
So my route again is from Mima CG take #6 to Fall Creek then #8 up to Wedekin and down to Porter, then most likely C1000 up to #30. Then #6 along the Crestline and down to Fall Creek then #8 back to Mima CG.
I intended to start at Fall Creek with this route getting most of the tough climbing out of the way early but there is an equestrian event out of there that day, we may still start there just start earlier. The issue with that is more for after the ride as I intend to have some grub set-up for the riders, like a chili-feed.
Again, good job!:thumbsup:
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good job!

Thanks.

I am still sticking with my version of the route though! I think it the most fun for the pain!
I am still thinking we will take C1000 up from the washout as it is more of a group type ride and for fun more than to prove anything.
So my route again is from Mima CG take #6 to Fall Creek then #8 up to Wedekin


Followed you to here, but then you lost me here....

and down to Porter, then most likely C1000 up to #30.

What's your route from Wedekind to Porter? I'm assuming you mean Porter Creek CG.

Then #6 along the Crestline and down to Fall Creek then #8 back to Mima CG.

That's the opposite direction that I went on #6 from Capitol Peak, right? So would you still be going down Sherman Creek and up Lost Valley Creek?

I intended to start at Fall Creek with this route getting most of the tough climbing out of the way early but there is an equestrian event out of there that day, we may still start there just start earlier. The issue with that is more for after the ride as I intend to have some grub set-up for the riders, like a chili-feed.
Again, good job!:thumbsup:


Thanks. Probably going to wish I'd waited for your ride, chili feed sounds great (I did pop a donation to the FOCF, lots of great trailwork out there. Except for the Iron Creek Valley:skep:). But I'm hoping to be in the mountains by then.

Monte
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crtlnd said:
I am still sticking with my version of the route though! I think it the most fun for the pain!
You already know, but stay out of Iron Creek for a "fun" group ride. Still can't figure out how C-1000 makes it to #30 :skep:

Monte
 

·
Sweet
Joined
·
533 Posts
Monte said:
You already know, but stay out of Iron Creek for a "fun" group ride. Still can't figure out how C-1000 makes it to #30 :skep:

Monte
C1000 to C line brings you to Wedekin to be exact, then you pop on #30. May be longer but probably quicker and easier.
Also, last Sat urday I did an OTB and did a tuck& roll (instead of face plant) at a good clip and ended up with a strained back and neck and a week of work. Pretty bad spasms in the back!
 

·
El Malo
Joined
·
549 Posts
53 miles eh... Sounds like a big S ride for these parts of the PNW.
So, what is the riding like out there ?
Perhaps a lot of dirt roads and double track mixed in with the singletrack ?
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crtlnd said:
C1000 to C line brings you to Wedekin to be exact, then you pop on #30. May be longer but probably quicker and easier.
Also, last Sat urday I did an OTB and did a tuck& roll (instead of face plant) at a good clip and ended up with a strained back and neck and a week of work. Pretty bad spasms in the back!
I saw C-1000 to C-Line, gotcha now. Yes, that'll probably be quicker in the long run.

I did the tuck and roll too, strained the back. Not enough to not work, but it's going to take longer because of work I'm sure.

Monte
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
53 miles eh... Sounds like a big S ride for these parts of the PNW.
So, what is the riding like out there ?
Perhaps a lot of dirt roads and double track mixed in with the singletrack ?
hey [email protected]!

This route has very little doubletrack. Maybe a couple miles at most if you do it as described in the route description.

Monte
 

·
Sweet
Joined
·
533 Posts
Armando, I routinely do rides out there anywhere from 18 to 27 to 35 and more miles in length with out doubletrack. Only road I ride in Capitol usually is crossing the doubletrack to the next section of trail.
There are somewhat gnarly trails, the Red Trails which are moto, the Green trails are horse and are generally more x/c type. Except Greenline #6 from the base of the Peak which is 8 descending miles of root drops, bermed corners, kickers, and a few rock gardens. The locals have some shuttle days where they'll run it 4-5 times.
www.capitolforest.com click on mtn biking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Monte said:
Like JLantz said, fuuck, that's a hard ride. I did the "better route, in retrospect" described at capitolforest.com. crtlnds group, get your ride on!

I rode the ride as described, from Mima Fall campground. Up Capitol Peak via #6, that looks like fun the other direction. Yeah, I was probably going the wrong way, I didn't meet a single rider on that section. Actually I only met a "couple" and a solo rider between Mima and Falls Creek. The only other riders I met were climbing out from the washout above Hell Creek. One guy had what looked like a big Hannebrink or Monster T fork. Damn.

One rider stopped (he was climbing, I told him to keep going I was off the trail, he said "I need a breather"), he commented on the heat and how it would be the hottest part of the day on my way out. I was still not sure about the washout, but didn't say anything. I was hoping for a way around, over, down, or something. Arrived at the washout, it's big. 200' across, or more. Impressive. A tiny little culvert feeding it water at the top where it cut loose. Looks like it's been planted with trees, I don't know when it happened.

From the top on C-1000 you can look down and see a singletrack switchback, and it looks like someone has humped either up or down between C-1000 and that switchback. Down I went.

Hit the trail, ride that for a short distance to the edge of the washout again, pick the bike up and head for the creek at the bottom. I could see #6 heading off to the right in the bottom of the drainage. Hiked over the debris to the trail and started riding again. Sort of.

This portion of #6 is in a world of hurt. Don't know if the washout has anything to do with that, or not. But, it hasn't been maintained in a while, blowdowns a go-go and the trail is the overflow creekbed for Iron Creek. Once you cross Iron Creek, it gets much better. If you do this ride and drop into Iron Creek, there's no way out but up. 3 different ways up, but up no matter what. Though it is downhill to Porter Creek campground and doubletrack there, but I didn't do that section.

Climb out of Iron Creek, cross C-3000, and traverse back to #30, drop that to Camp Wedekind for the beginning of the "downhill" on Mima Porter #8. Here's the first real downhill of the ride. It was a well needed breather. Pretty much downhill from Wedekind to Fall Creek. I needed that.

But don't worry, your climbing is not over. Got confused for a moment finding the connection to #8 again, but found it. Look at the map dummy.

Next comes Sherman Creek. "Downhill", but just barely. And horse chopped. Next comes Lost Valley Creek. This was the worst part of the ride for me. Uphill, horse chopped suckatude. At this part of the ride (over 40 miles into it), it was worse than climbing out of Iron Creek.

Turn hard right at the connection with #20 and "the climbing" is over for the most part. There are some great sections here to Mima CG. Still some little climbs. Oh, and one wicked sharp right turn.

One freaking mile from the car. 53 miles done, one to go. Carrying just a bit too much speed. The trail takes a 90 deg right turn with a bridge over a small creek. The bridge has slats across it for the horses I suppose. Anyway, I grab a bunch of brake, the front tire grabs lots of traction on those slats, and it's OTB for me, with speed. I touch and roll onto my back, landing on the Camelback hard. Bike on top of me. Fock. That was really stupid. Tweaked the back, still sore today. Spasms a little bending over. Damn, that was stupid.

Made it back to the car, and that was it for me. Mean Green done. Hard ride for sure. Get your ride on!

If you care, 54 miles, 8 hrs moving, 10 total, 6780 total ascent. Used the water filter twice to top off the bladder.

Monte
*****in. Nice. I think you made the right call going down #8 to Hell and back out #6. I've gone both directions and the descent down #8 from Wedekind flows forever. The climb up #6 from Hell is brutal, but gets the vert out of the way quicker than than going up #8.
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jameshetfield said:
*****in. Nice. I think you made the right call going down #8 to Hell and back out #6. I've gone both directions and the descent down #8 from Wedekind flows forever. The climb up #6 from Hell is brutal, but gets the vert out of the way quicker than than going up #8.
Thanks. I was just following instructions from the man.

Going down #6 into Iron Creek and hitting the bottom of that landslide would have been harsh if you were like me and had never been there before. I kept wondering how a landslide could take out the trail as I read on cfmtb, but it was a big slide. I was fortunate to see the singletrack down the hill a bit and see #6 heading off up Iron Creek. Plus the track from someone going up or down the hillside from the road.

Monte
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Big kudos, Monte. I'd been counting on you -- promises, promises -- and you came through. Way cool.

I still maintain the 'better route' remains the best route. Someone's bound to argue this -- always -- but if I were to do it a fourth time -- NOT -- I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe doing it much earlier in the year (Feb, April, latest was early May) had something to do with my preference. I don't know, doesn't matter really. What matters is that you done it by God!

And I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear about it -- finally.

:thumbsup:
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SRR said:
Big kudos, Monte. I'd been counting on you -- promises, promises -- and you came through. Way cool.

I still maintain the 'better route' remains the best route. Someone's bound to argue this -- always -- but if I were to do it a fourth time -- NOT -- I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe doing it much earlier in the year (Feb, April, latest was early May) had something to do with my preference. I don't know, doesn't matter really. What matters is that you done it by God!

And I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear about it -- finally.

:thumbsup:
Thanks. Took me long enough. It's a hard call for direction for me. I would not want to descend into Iron Creek and have to hike out with the landslide. Climbing #8 to Wedekind would have been long, climbing #6 up Capitol Peak got it over pretty quickly. Descending #8 from Wedekind was a much needed break at a good time. Descending #6 from Capitol Peak, at the end of the ride, would have been a waste of elevation. Probably better to have climbed it.

How 'bout that century? :skep:

Monte
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top