Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have rode together on a three easy rides and he wanted to try something "a little harder". So we enter El Moro/Crystal Cove State Park, (Laguna Beach) and are on the fireroad in the bottom of the canyon, round a bend and there is a small mountain lion staring at as...maybe 50 feet away. It is small and nonchalantly meanders off into the bushes and down into the creek. Ok "that was cool", my friend is wondering "were its mother is" . After some coaching we continue on our ride.

Many of the trails/roads in So-cal are just.. different since the rain. Well I am OK get bushwhacked and the singletracks are very over grown, in places you cannot see the dirt though the bushes and grass. So I am ahead of him going through the brush and I hear bees at the same time I am getting stung. I am feeling numerous stings on my ears, arms and back but pedal quickly 20-30 feet down the trail and jump into the bushes, the ones without poison oak. My friend yells "BEES" and I respond "I KNOW...KEEP PEDALING"! he stops and gets off his bike and starts removing helmet, gloves, glasses and jersey while running around out in the open trail. I am remaining still in the bushes listening and watching the show. Good thing they were honeybees and not wasps or hornets. I got stung maybe a dozen times, but I must have removed over fifty stingers from him. Now he is not having fun, saying he has not been strung since he was five years old and maybe allergic. So we regroup, I let the bees calmed down and go back to retrieve his bike and stuff that litters the trail and bushes for 100 feet, no headaches, no major swelling so we continue out of the park.

I wonder why he did not ask when are we riding next. For me it was the best ride I have had in a long while, albeit somewhat at his expense.

My Biking Credo: If you are not lost or getting bushwhacked...maybe the trail is too easy.

Maybe that is why I ride alone so much.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oh Crap man. Sounds like you guys had an interesting day at El Moro. Did you get attack by the bees on Missing Link or Fence line? Or was it on the way up to Rattlesnake.

What scares me even more is your Mountain Lion sighting. I've ridden El Moro pretty regularly the last couple of years. Often times afterwork close to Sunset. Anyways, I've seen plenty of coyotes in the last 3 years. I suspected there's probably some mtn. Lions there but I didn't want to believe till I saw more first deer there last summer. A big one too, bolted from the brush right in front of me as I was doing about 15-20mph on the West end of the park. This is the first time I've heard of a Mt. Lion sighting. Guess, I'm going to have to find a riding partner for those sunset rides at El Moro.

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
That ride sounds like a hoot...

Thats the great thing about mt biking--it's always an adventure!! I have many friends and family members that think I am absolutely insane when I tell them my trail stories with an ear to ear grin on my face. "Ya, we were riding today and a 3 foot rattler struck at my buds rear wheel. "....."Ya, we were riding today going down a gnarly downhill when I lost it and endo'd into a rock garden, look at this gash on my leg, that'll leave a cool scar."

Things like this are totally normal to people like us, but not so much to non-bikers, or even bikers who haven't been "infected with the sickness" as I like to call it. I have friends who are just as "sick" as me, and then I have friends who only ride once a week.

Either way, I'm glad to be one of the sick ones :D :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
El Moro

Are you sure it was a mountain lion and not a bobcat? I just have a hard time believing there are any mountain lions west of the 5. I don't mean to come off the wrong way but I can't tell you how many times I've seen people freaked out about seeing a mountain lion when it turned out to be a bobcat. If it was a mountain lion, I've been riding solo with a false sense of security for too long.

The trail you were stung on is in Laguna Coast Wilderness Park. Please don't give the hiking nazi's more fuel for banning MTB in this park by posting about it in a public forum.

Thanks.

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
CalEpic said:
Are you sure it was a mountain lion and not a bobcat? I just have a hard time believing there are any mountain lions west of the 5. QUOTE]

I was asking myself that same question? Most likely a bobcat at El Morro. I have seen plenty of those when I was living in SoCal. They actually look bigger than they are from a distance too.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I grew up in Mendocino County, (sheep ranching country) and worked as a logger for 18 years. I know the difference. Where and when I grew up, there was a bounty on pumas and coyotes paid by the county/state. I did not hunt them but spent a lot of time wild boar hunting. When you pissed off one of the local indians it was not uncommon for them to toss a bobcat into your truck. They would hide in the car until opening the door. I don't know if you have ever heard a bobcat scream/growl but they sound ten times bigger than they are.

It was solid color tawny top with lighter buff color below, not mixed/spotted bobcat markings, had long tail nearly as long as the cat, not the stubbed 6-7 inch bobcat tail.

A month ago in the OC Registrar there was a story one two guys that got drunk and lost in El Moro and started cross country to the toll road because they saw the lights and heard the cars. It got dark, they got stuck in the bushes and called 911. When the Sheriffs helicopter was directing the rescuers they spotted a mountain lion nearby. So yes they have come this side of I-5.

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
Lions west of the 5...

According to this, there were six lions in the Santa Monicas as of October 04, though, 4 of them were kittens... That is West of the 5, too. P-1 sounds lie a really big cat.

http://www.rain.org/pipermail/sanctuary-naturalist-corps/2004-October/002814.html

I saw a bobcat on last Wednesday on Sullivan. Fuzzy. Cute. Big ears. Just chilling on some singletrack. I think I saw a lion a couple of years ago in Sycamore, but the glimpse was fleeting. Might have been a feral Chow Chow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
emergency teams on site

I was at Laguna Coast this morning too and noticed a few emergency vehicles at the park entrance as I was leaving. Was this a bee attack or a cat attack you think? My buddy overheard them say they had to airlift someone out.

Maybe I was being a little paranoid, but I did see fresh cat prints and a fresh log (flies and all) on the bommer canyon trail. Maybe it was the same cat others of you saw.

If anyone knows what happened out there today .. please post.

·
i can't type the letter s
1,096 Posts
dstepper said:
My friend yells "BEES" and I respond "I KNOW...KEEP PEDALING"! he stops and gets off his bike and starts removing helmet, gloves, glasses and jersey while running around out in the open trail. I am remaining still in the bushes listening and watching the show.
Hi-larious picture of him running around with his pants onfire. Bummer for him, but totally funny picture. PEDAL BOY, PEDAL...to the MOON!!!!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.