Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
g-t- said:
riderweight 190 height 6'2" what would you set the p.s.i at for as active as possible ?
Doesn't the bike/linkage matter? WTF does height have to do with anything?
I run 50% of my bodyweight in PSI. That gives me 1.25" of sag, which is perfect, totally active for 5" of travel.
 

·
Living Life Behind Bars..
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
justen said:
Doesn't the bike/linkage matter? WTF does height have to do with anything?
I run 50% of my bodyweight in PSI. That gives me 1.25" of sag, which is perfect, totally active for 5" of travel.
hey that's the reason why I posted ;) the question. not sure what info was needed to determine the p.s.i.
 

·
Living Life Behind Bars..
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[]D[][]v[][]D said:
typically use your body weight plus or minus 10 psi. Try 180 and 200 psi and see how it feels. But you should measure sag and sag should be 25-30% of travel.
thx that was exactly what I was looking for.
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
g-t- said:
hey that's the reason why I posted ;) the question. not sure what info was needed to determine the p.s.i.
The type bike it's on will significantly affect how much pressure you need (ie: the leverage ratio of the particular suspension design).
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,984 Posts
jrm said:
this IMO is the best jumping off point because alot about the shocks performance has to do with the application.
agreed, sag is the best way to setup the shock. 25% is a good starting point.

To measure the sag get a friend to help you as it is very difficult to sit in the proper riding position and measure at the same time. measure the eye 2 eye of the shock before sitting on the bike, then sit on the bike in a normal riding position (feet on pedals) and get the friend to measure the distance between the same reference points. Take the difference between the two measurements, divide it by the stroke of the shock, et viola, you have your sag.

Once you achieve the 25% starting point take note of how much pressure was required. Take it out for a ride. Stop at certain sections on the ride and re-ride that section with a bit more pressure, and again with less pressure so you can feel the difference and tune it to your personal preference.

TJ
 

·
The Ancient One
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
An easier way to check for sag is to use the O-ring that comes with the shock. Shove it all the way up. Put a couple of blocks or hunks of wood on either side of the bike and stand on them, straddlilng the bike. Then lower yourself into the saddle, put your feet on the pedals in the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and momentarily balance with your body held just as if you were pedaling. Then carefully get off the bike using the blocks and measure how far down the O-ring was pushed.
 

·
Groveland Trail Heads
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
In the

the manual for my RP3(2.0"stroke) it says to have 1/2 inch of sag. What some of the others have stated is correct. You will need to experiment with the air pressure to get the right sag because there are different suspension designs that effect the shock's sag. Then see if you like the ride and adjust if needed. I weigh 153 lbs. and ride a single pivot(heckler)- I have about 125- 130 lbs of air in mine. It is a great shock, imo.

The post right above mine is an excellent way to check the sag.
 

·
Alpine Rider (Italy)
Joined
·
283 Posts
scheckler said:
I weigh 153 lbs. and ride a single pivot(heckler)- I have about 125- 130 lbs of air in mine. It is a great shock, imo.
isn't your rebound too slow? i tried this shock on a monopivot with variable leverage ratio
1:2.9-2.7-2.5 . in the 1:2.9 position i inflated to 130psi and rebound seemed pretty slow,
in 1:2.7 and 1:2.5 it was unusable on fast dh.
in my opinion isn't the right shock for who needs less than 135/140psi to get suggested sag.
 

·
Groveland Trail Heads
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
I do not

30x26 said:
isn't your rebound too slow? i tried this shock on a monopivot with variable leverage ratio
1:2.9-2.7-2.5 . in the 1:2.9 position i inflated to 130psi and rebound seemed pretty slow,
in 1:2.7 and 1:2.5 it was unusable on fast dh.
in my opinion isn't the right shock for who needs less than 135/140psi to get suggested sag.
understand that leverage ratio stuff. The rebound can be adjusted- there are 9 settings for the rebound. The important thing is to set the sag properly. After that you adjust the rebound to your personnel preference. With the way I have mine set up I am using 97% of the travel- that is efficient. As I had mentioned, different bikes have different suspension designs, this will effect how much air pressure is required for each individual rider. If you are using almost all the travel you have it set correctly.
 

·
Alpine Rider (Italy)
Joined
·
283 Posts
scheckler said:
i do not understand that leverage ratio stuff. The rebound can be adjusted- there are 9 settings for the rebound. The important thing is to set the sag properly.
when inflated to 125-130psi my rp3 was quite slow even with rebound in the fastest position.
with leverage 1:2.7 or 1:2.5 i needed less pressure to set the same sag: rebound was very slow.
 

·
Groveland Trail Heads
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
We

30x26 said:
when inflated to 125-130psi my rp3 was quite slow even with rebound in the fastest position.
with leverage 1:2.7 or 1:2.5 i needed less pressure to set the same sag: rebound was very slow.
do not ride the same bike and I do not think we weigh the same. If you do not like the way your RP3 is working maybe it is defective. Have your LBS look at it.

There is no set air pressure that is recommended in the manual for this shock. The reason again is different bikes have different suspension designs... this, along with different riders weigh different amounts effects how much air pressure is required to get the proper sag for each individual rider. There are also different stroke lengths for the RP3, mine is a 2.0" and the manual states that 1/2" of sag is recommended, they do not recommended how much air pressure is needed.

I am not trying to argue with you but you can not compare the amount of air pressure I am using to what you are using. We ride different bikes and do not weigh the same. My RP3 is the best rear shock I have ever ridden so far. I have nothing bad to say about it. Again, check with your LBS... some bikes might not work well with the RP3 or yours could be defective. If you are getting the proper sag and make sure you know what the proper sag is for your shock and still do not like the ride you have a problem either with the shock or the shock's ability to work with your bike's suspension design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
30x26 said:
isn't your rebound too slow? i tried this shock on a monopivot with variable leverage ratio
1:2.9-2.7-2.5 . in the 1:2.9 position i inflated to 130psi and rebound seemed pretty slow,
in 1:2.7 and 1:2.5 it was unusable on fast dh.
in my opinion isn't the right shock for who needs less than 135/140psi to get suggested sag.
I tested an RP3 for a couple of weeks on my 5 Spot (lent to my by a friend). I ran at 140 initially and finally settled on 145. I weigh 170 plus gear. The RP3 worked great. It's an excellent shock. It also seemed to have a good range of rebound.

I'll probably get an RP3 to replace my Romic..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Just got mine....

g-t- said:
riderweight 190 height 6'2" what would you set the p.s.i at for as active as possible ?
I'm still playing around with settings, but 155-160 psi gave me 3/4" sag. I am 202 lbs, 5'8" (does not matter) and have generally an additional 7 lbs worth of Camelbak juice and equipment on my back. I may go to 165 psi. I also found that I needed to crank the AVA up to level 3. I was running too low psi and found to bottom the shock on any lower AVA amount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Still working on it......

HPilot said:
I'm still playing around with settings, but 155-160 psi gave me 3/4" sag. I am 202 lbs, 5'8" (does not matter) and have generally an additional 7 lbs worth of Camelbak juice and equipment on my back. I may go to 165 psi. I also found that I needed to crank the AVA up to level 3. I was running too low psi and found to bottom the shock on any lower AVA amount.
I am now up to 190 psi on this shock. Anything less and it is too compliant and the Pro Pedal doesn't even seem to work due to being set so plush. So, I am slooking at going to 195 with AVA set at level 2. My rebound is at 7 to remedy the fast rebound with the high shock pressure. I had the AVA set at 3 for my last ride, which may be too high, causing the progressivity to 'ramp up' too quickly. I guess I'll get this shock dialled in before my next race.

Does anyone know max pressure for the RP3????
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top