Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the swinger to an RP3 on a Burner? Other than the fiddling in the Swinger (Manitou 3 Way Swinger), is there much difference in the ride between the two shocks. If you like the RP3 better, is you RP3 'pushed'?
Thanks,

Kane
 

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
I have all of one ride on my Burner so I'm not an expert. But don't have anything bad to say about the Swinger. The SPV chamber is small and setting it was kind of a crapshoot but it wasn't that tough. Nice plush travel and no bobbing.
 

·
Bite Me.
Joined
·
4,531 Posts
Zkamp - I made the swap and am glad I did. I rode the Burner with the 3-Way for about 100 miles, then after reading Tscheezy's comparison of the RP3 to the 3-Way and other shock, I decided to convert. I now run the 3-Way on my O2 which is dedicated more for high speed XC/racing. The Burner was upgraded to the XR rockers and the RP3 for a 4" trail bike. My experience with both shocks is that the 3-way SPV really does work and provides a predicatable and very efficient platform, great for racing and climbing but not as buttery smooth as the RP3 on small hits and stutter bumps. You can tune the 3-way to feel plusher, but you trade off on the platform. By comparison, the RP3 is just way more sensitive at all levels in the stroke. Part of this may be the added leverage and additional travel from the XR rockers, but my first real test ride in Fruita opened my eyes to what a good 4" travel bike is capable of. The Burner with the RP3 in full plush mode just devoured eveything I threw at it and never came close to bottoming. The ability to change the settings is also a huge benefit. On the long climb up Mary's Loop, I just ran it in "+" mode and had no movement at all in the back, but plenty of suspension on ledge climbs and pop-overs. For the drop into Horsethief Bench and for the rest of that loop, plus Steve's Loop I just ran it full "-". It was really great feeling. I still like the 3-way for pure XC style riding, it is light and quite adjustable, but you don't have the option to vary your settings like on the RP3. Both are excellent shocks, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the RP3 hands down. Mine is not pushed by the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
cutthroat said:
Zkamp - I made the swap and am glad I did. I rode the Burner with the 3-Way for about 100 miles, then after reading Tscheezy's comparison of the RP3 to the 3-Way and other shock, I decided to convert. I now run the 3-Way on my O2 which is dedicated more for high speed XC/racing. The Burner was upgraded to the XR rockers and the RP3 for a 4" trail bike.
cutthroat said:
Hey Cutthroat, do you have any pictures of your 4" burner with the RP3? This is the exact setup im looking to put on my Burner and just wanted to see how it looks. Thanks for the info it solidified my plan to purchase the RP3! :)
 

·
Bite Me.
Joined
·
4,531 Posts
af73 said:
Hey Cutthroat, do you have any pictures of your 4" burner with the RP3? This is the exact setup im looking to put on my Burner and just wanted to see how it looks. Thanks for the info it solidified my plan to purchase the RP3! :)
I'll get a photo to you today if I can. I highly recommend the XR upgrade combined with the RP3, the bike becomes a real 4" machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
cutthroat said:
I'll get a photo to you today if I can. I highly recommend the XR upgrade combined with the RP3, the bike becomes a real 4" machine.
Thanks! I can't wait to see it! I think its gonna be the perfect setup for general trail riding and racing here in Utah!!! Where do you ride mostly?
 

·
Bite Me.
Joined
·
4,531 Posts
af73 said:
Thanks! I can't wait to see it! I think its gonna be the perfect setup for general trail riding and racing here in Utah!!! Where do you ride mostly?
Here are some shots from this afternoon's ride around Lake Dillon. As you can see, the XR rockers don't look that much different from the stock ones. Actually I think they look kind of cool.

This bike went through an identity crisis when I first got it. I planned on using it for my race bike and built it up with the Swinger 3-Way and a Reba fixed 100mm fork. After thinking about it and riding it some ( and discussing it here), I decided it was better suited for my all around trail bike and swapped the 3-Way for the RP3, added the new rockers and changed out the fork to the Reba Team U-Turn. The front end now is adjustable from 85mm - 115mm and it makes a huge difference in the way the bike handles. Crank it down to 85, engage the RP3"+" mode and lock down the compression and the bike climbs like a rigid hardtail. Open everything up and you have a super plush 4" trail bike. The adjustable fork varies the Head Tube angle from about 71/70.5 degrees closed to 69/69.5 degrees fully extended and the change in handling is remarkable. If you haven't picked out your fork yet, I highly recommend the adjustable travel option as a complement to the RP3 settings.

As built, this bike comes in right at 28.2 pounds. If I were to shed the Geax Sturdy's and go with a 2.0 tire I could get well under that. I ride in Summit County CO where (Keystone area) I live, but make regular forays to Fruita and Moab for some nice rock and sand. Up here it's mostly tight single track with some rooty and rocky sections mixed in, and a lot of high altitude (9,000 to 10,000 ft) above treeline riding in the summer.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the comparison

Cutthroat,
Thanks for the comparison. It would be 'apples to apples' to find someone who has changed the only the shock. Hopefully someone else has done just the shock change on a Burner. Thanks for your time. I've got six months on the Burner/Swinger combination and frankly I've never ridden better. I'm clearing technical areas that I never rode through before the arrival of the Burner.

cheers,

Kane
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Riding better???

zkampyman said:
Cutthroat,
Thanks for the comparison. It would be 'apples to apples' to find someone who has changed the only the shock. Hopefully someone else has done just the shock change on a Burner. Thanks for your time. I've got six months on the Burner/Swinger combination and frankly I've never ridden better. I'm clearing technical areas that I never rode through before the arrival of the Burner.

cheers,

Kane
You're riding better cause you quit putting vodka in your water bottle! ;)

Looking forward to the next ride with you Kane. Your new bike is a jewel!

You might try asking this question in Shocks for any bike going from Swinger Air to RP3. I bet they liked the change.

- ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good suggestion derby man

Ray,
That's a great idea to post it in shocks for more feedback. Ultimately, I am mainly concerned about the difference in the ride on Burner, but more comparisons will certainly add to the knowledge file.

I am going to Pacifica on Saturday for a party. I going to check mtbr trail reviews, because I have heard about some trails in that area that are supposed to be good. Let's give Annadel a week to dry out after this series of storms and go for a ride on Saturday the thirteenth.

Cheers,

Kane
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top