Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one of those last few Supergo Burners with a RL nonpropedal rear shock. I'm about to have this frame built up, but I'm still not sure what to do regarding my rear suspension. I have a feeling that the stock RL will not be satisfactory to my needs. After reading some of the threads here, it sounds nearly unanimous that the Pushed RP3 would be the ultimate way to go, but I don't want to spend $490.00 on a new shock and then have the RL" take off " just sitting around collecting dust. So, my choices are: I could sell the RL for 130- 160 on ebay and then buy a used RP3 and have it PUSHed, or I could just have my stock RL PUSHed and be satisfied with that for a while until ready to upgrade to the RP3. I did buy the last pair of XR rockers from Paul's components as an option also, but that could be done later on. I hope all this isn't too redundant to what's already been said on these threads, but I need help in deciding what to do. What do you guys think? Is the RL, PUSHed, really that good, that it'll keep me happy for a while? :confused:

·
Ridin' in iRie meditation
312 Posts
I just went to the RP3 on my Burner with the intention of eventually getting it PUSH'ed. I rode it Sat. for the first time and until I read your post hadn't even thought about PUSHing it. It was that good right off the bat. Of course, my Burner came with the Swinger shock, which did an adequate job for me until I switched to the XR rockers, then it just became too harsh. So my point reference as far as shocks is a bit different than yours. But like I said, the RP3 is like night and day - it is a very good shock. Super plush and the using the PP feature is a snap, comes in handy, and makes a noticeable difference.

So, one option for you might be to get the RP3 and run like that until you get a chance (and some $) to get it PUSH'ed. That's my plan...or at least it was. I don't know now.

tf

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Search the boards, this has been discussed before. But I would keep the float as a backup and buy a standard RP3. The RP3 is an awesome shock and they're always on ebay. I would take the adjustable PP and bigger volume over a push float any day, not to say push stuff isn't whatever it is -- because I haven't ridden any of it. But I like the adjustability of the RP3 and I like having a backup.

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
Trailmix,

I bought a supergo Burner with Float R (propedal), I went through the same debate and ended up ordering an AVA sleeve ($70), and will probably get it pushed (I have propedal so may just leave it as is, still want to ride more) and use XR rockers. Total spend will be about $220 + shipping. Much less than a pushed RP3, and no lever to fiddle with :)

I don't care about weight (I'm carry much more than the 100g difference :)), so this was the cheapest way to get a large volume tuned shock.

Hope this helps ...

Berardino

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! So, maybe PUSHing the RL isn't as good as just getting a standard RP3. Are you guys running 05 RP3s? Are you having problems with the adjustment lever that some folks have claimed to have with the pre-06 RP3s? Will the standard RP3 work fine with or without the XR rockers?

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
I'd run that question by the guys at PUSH, they might have some good advice.

I too have the Float RL on a Burner. The PUSH conversion is WAY less expensive than getting the RP3, and they recommended that I go that route unless I desire the different settings of the RP3 (ProPedal)---most riders I know don't use but one setting but you might like the choices.

PUSH custom tunes the RL to your weight, removes the lockout lever and replaces it with a stable platform. Which is essentially all that I want, a shock that's made for me that I don't have to meddle with.

By the way, the RL does bob a little when climbing, but it's really quite manageable---and the lockout works if you hate the bob--it's just a pain turning it off and on.. I'm waiting until mine needs a rebuild before springing for the PUSH conversion.

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Roostalee. I was conserned that bobing might be a problem with this RL since it doesn't have propedal. I've been riding on a Fox Triad most recently, and I do like the propedal setting for climbing. I also like the adjustability of the Triad for different conditions, and that's what makes the RP3 attractive to me, but if PUSHing the RL will give me the platform I need for climbing, with still giving plushness that I want for rougher parts of the trail, :cool: maybe that's the way to go.......certainly much less expensive. :cool:

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Trailmix, if you contact the guys at PUSH, they're super helpful in meeting your needs. I think I spoke with Darren, who frequently posts on this forum. They can also PUSH an RP3 so if you really want that, it might be a good idea to cruise MTBR or Ebay for a used one, preferably one that someone might have blown out (not sure how common that is) and might be willing to sell for peanuts.

Wasn't the Triad shock a special make that Fox did for Specialized bikes?

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Roostalee said:
Trailmix, if you contact the guys at PUSH, they're super helpful in meeting your needs. I think I spoke with Darren, who frequently posts on this forum. They can also PUSH an RP3 so if you really want that, it might be a good idea to cruise MTBR or Ebay for a used one, preferably one that someone might have blown out (not sure how common that is) and might be willing to sell for peanuts.

Wasn't the Triad shock a special make that Fox did for Specialized bikes?
You're right Rootalee, the Triad is on my current bike (Stumpjumper Expert Disc), which should eventually become my backup bike, once the Burner is built up.
I did talk to Darren at PUSH today and my impression from our conversation was that he feels that though the RL on the Burner can be greatly improved if it gets the "Factory Tuning", but because it's an 04, it's not a "high volume" shock, like the 05 and newer shocks are. "AK Chris" alluded to this in his comments in this thread. My understanding is that the "high volume" shocks more closely resemble coil type shocks in their performance, and that's a desired feature, without the weight penalty that the coil shock would present. That' my understanding......if I need to be corrected or if anything can be added, please do so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.