Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't find the thread, so if you don't mind, I'd like to ask.

I'm pondering a new 5 Spot. Now the rear shock choice question. I'm trying to keep it lighter, so I probably don't need the plushness of the DHX coil, though, I'm sure if you want plushness its the hands down winner. But lets hear your experiences too on this shock.

RP3 vs. DHX 5.0 Air vs. DHX coil. The '06s come stock with the DHX Air, coil is a $50 upgrade. Funny, because on the 6 Pack, stock is the coil with the air being an upcharge. The shocks can't be that much different from each other, can they?

I currently ride a Titus Switchblade which has a simple Float R. Its been great for me, no problems whatsoever, and seems fairly plush for my riding (no hucking, moderate DH speeds). Of course, thats the only rear shock I've ever ridden on it, so I don't know if I'd feel a WOW difference with another shock.

That said, I'm thinking of just getting the stock shock, depending on the year frame I get. Either RP3 or DHX 5.0 Air.

Whats yer experiences out there?

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I've tried the romic, Rp3, DHX air, and a pushed Vanilla RC coil on my RFX, all in both 5" and 6" modes.

For a 'spot, I'd get the DHX-air. It's very tunable even mid-ride- you can set it up firm for climbing then open it up for descents. It's lighter than the coil shocks but feels just as good to me. The Rp3 felt just as good, but the DHX air is just more tuneable- I especially like the BO adjuster for jumps & drops. This is the shock I'll spec on my future XC bike.

The coil would probably be a better bet for bigger guys, constant hucking & crashing, or higher leverage bikes like the 6" RFX. The pushed vanilla RC's and Avalanches are also worth a look. For FR use on my RFX, I've liked the pushed vanilla the best- It's got 3/4lb on the DHX-air though, and is less tunable. Although I'm convinced that tuning options aren't neccesary if the shock is tuned for the bike & rider.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Define "plush". Most people say they want a plush shock, but then when they get on a DHX Air which delivers more shock shaft movement for a given hit (more travel per unit hit pretty much defines plush) they complain about wallow and such. I prefer the DHX Air for this reason, but as I mention, others disparage the shock for this reason. Decide what shock behavior you like, and it will make the arguing a lot shorter.

FWIW I have owned and ridden on the Spot: Swinger 3-way Air, Romic, RP3, DHX Coil, and DHX Air. The only shocks I would mount on the Spot at this point are the RP3 and DHX Air, with a slight nod to the DHX A for tunability, nod to the RP3 for ease of setup and pedaling performance.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
FM said:
For a 'spot, I'd get the DHX-air. It's very tunable even mid-ride- you can set it up firm for climbing then open it up for descents. It's lighter than the coil shocks but feels just as good to me. The Rp3 felt just as good, but the DHX air is just more tuneable- I especially like the BO adjuster for jumps & drops. This is the shock I'll spec on my future XC bike.
All that "tune-ablity" makes for alot a messing around. Which you can completely eliminate by getting an RP3 and having it Pushed.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great descriptions guys. Plush for what I'm looking for is suppleness on the high speed stutters. My Float R is fine for me on larger rocks and terrain at speed, but not so on those smaller stutters, where a coil would usually shine.

It sounds like either the RP3 or DHX Air are good performance wise, with the DHX having adjustability. I agree that if the shock is properly set up, adjusting is not really necessary. With my Float R, only rebound is adjustable, so extra knobs may or may not be nice for me.

If the RP3 rides just as nice on the downhills, not really more plush then the DHX, then thats probably the way for me to go. I don't really need the non-bob feature of the DHX if that means extra weight and similar high-speed characteristics.

·
Registered
211 Posts
coil?

tscheezy said:
Define "plush". Most people say they want a plush shock, but then when they get on a DHX Air which delivers more shock shaft movement for a given hit (more travel per unit hit pretty much defines plush) they complain about wallow and such. I prefer the DHX Air for this reason, but as I mention, others disparage the shock for this reason. Decide what shock behavior you like, and it will make the arguing a lot shorter.

FWIW I have owned and ridden on the Spot: Swinger 3-way Air, Romic, RP3, DHX Coil, and DHX Air. The only shocks I would mount on the Spot at this point are the RP3 and DHX Air, with a slight nod to the DHX A for tunability, nod to the RP3 for ease of setup and pedaling performance.
Cheesy...what did you not like about the DHX coil? If you weighed more, would that have changed your mind you think? The guys at push told me the dhx-a was VERY picky and that you have to tinker with them a ton to get them to work correctly. Most Homers love to tinker so that is probably an added bobus to most.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
S-Works said:
All that "tune-ablity" makes for alot a messing around. Which you can completely eliminate by getting an RP3 and having it Pushed.
I hear so much about the PUSHed shocks too. But to spend extra money on an already good shock when it doesn't need servicing is just more money that I don't want to spend. Then I start thinking, I should just get the DHX with that extra money. So, I should just stick to the stock RP3, leave it as is, then get a DHX Air when the RP3 needs service some years down the road.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
I usually go thru a week of fiddling and twiddling to get my suspension sorted out, then for the most part - I don't mess with it - the trails I ride are all pretty similar geologically speaking, so there isn't that much use in 400,00 different setting combos some of you hopperhuckerss might need. I just don't care to carry a suspension log book and chart my progress on capturing the ultimate sag vs. plushness vs. spring rate vs. air pressure ratio...I just want to ride my bike....close enough is good enough for me.

Thats why I just ordered up a new RP3 to replace my trusty Romic coil, which I really like....but, I feel good knowing I have the Romic in case I want to use it again.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
If by the "no-bob" feature you are pointing to is Propedal, then the RP3 and the DHX Air have it. I have only used the DHX Air on the 5 Spot and find it to fit my needs very well. By playing with all those knobs most likely you will find a combo that works for you. The nice thing is, you may find several combos that work for different situations or terrain. I have been looking at a RP3 as a backup for my DHX Air, but find myself wondering if its worth it.

just my thoughts.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
myitch said:
I hear so much about the PUSHed shocks too. But to spend extra money on an already good shock when it doesn't need servicing is just more money that I don't want to spend. Then I start thinking, I should just get the DHX with that extra money. So, I should just stick to the stock RP3, leave it as is, then get a DHX Air when the RP3 needs service some years down the road.
I just got my Spot a couple of months ago. And I know Darren and Jimmy at Push. Darren firmly believes the RP3 is the best shock for the spot. Right now I'm using his DHX air, and I have to say it is a nice shock, but it is way more compicated than it needs to be. I don't really mess with it since Darren set it up for me, and I don't like to mess with things, I'm a set it and forget it rider.

Also worth noting, Darren had to remove the bottom out knob to keep the shock from hitting my frame. Mine is an 03. What exactly did DT change to keep that knob from hitting the newer frames?

Anyway, you could get the RP3 and ride it, when it needs work, then send it to Push. I can say from personal experience, you will get it back a lot faster than sending it to Fox.

Good Luck, I don't think you can go wrong with either shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
S-Works said:
I just got my Spot a couple of months ago. And I know Darren and Jimmy at Push. Darren firmly believes the RP3 is the best shock for the spot. Right now I'm using his DHX air, and I have to say it is a nice shock, but it is way more compicated than it needs to be. I don't really mess with it since Darren set it up for me, and I don't like to mess with things, I'm a set it and forget it rider.

Also worth noting, Darren had to remove the bottom out knob to keep the shock from hitting my frame. Mine is an 03. What exactly did DT change to keep that knob from hitting the newer frames?

Anyway, you could get the RP3 and ride it, when it needs work, then send it to Push. I can say from personal experience, you will get it back a lot faster than sending it to Fox.

Good Luck, I don't think you can go wrong with either shock.
Good point, clearance issues. What size is your Spot? It seems many times, small frames have clearance problems. I had two clearance problems with my Intense Uzzi SLX that Intense didn't "know" about. Another front derailleur clearance problem on my Foes Zig Zag. Downtube issues with Fox forks on my Intense 5.5. Then not to mention, two frames with seatposts that wouldnt insert: an Intense M1 and, I hate to say it, a Turner RFX. Damn, wheres the quality control??!!! (Please, lets not get into that one again! Im just ranting and venting, huff, huff).

Anyhow, yes the RP3 sounds like a safe bet. Am I understanding that they perform just as well on the high-speed stutters as a DHX Air without the adjustments and knobs?

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
myitch said:
Good point, clearance issues. What size is your Spot? It seems many times, small frames have clearance problems. I had two clearance problems with my Intense Uzzi SLX that Intense didn't "know" about. Another front derailleur clearance problem on my Foes Zig Zag. Downtube issues with Fox forks on my Intense 5.5. Then not to mention, two frames with seatposts that wouldnt insert: an Intense M1 and, I hate to say it, a Turner RFX. Damn, wheres the quality control??!!! (Please, lets not get into that one again! Im just ranting and venting, huff, huff).

Anyhow, yes the RP3 sounds like a safe bet. Am I understanding that they perform just as well on the high-speed stutters as a DHX Air without the adjustments and knobs?
My frame is a med.

For your specific performance questions, you best bet is to call Push and talk with Darren or Jimmy. They will tell you exactly what you can expect from a stock rp3, pushed rp3 and the DHX air.

There phone number is on there website, pushindustries dot com

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, is this accurate?

RP3 vs. DHX Air high-speed stutter bump performance about the same? How much weight difference, anyone know? Just curious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.