Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding my 575 for 8 weeks or so now. With my rp3 set up to proper sag I have yet to see the oring fall over the edge of the stroke. Is this normal/common with this shock on this bike?

I wonder b/c on my xc bike with the Float RL it would force the oring off the cylinder about once a ride.

Maybe I need to run a little less pressure but I am wondering if this is more the norm on this setup. Whats your thoughts/experience?

Thanks -JB

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wouldn't think that you would want it to get pushed off. Maybe close, and that's if it was in the soft setting.

Isn't the sag more important?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to play around with settings just to see. How's it feel during the rides?

I'll quit guessing and see what someone with more experience has to say.

I don't think I've even come close to pushing mine off yet... pretty close, but not yet.

crazyhouse

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mind set is that if it gets pushed to the limits then I am using all the available travel, at least once or twice during a good ride.

The hardest drops and hits have been maybe 3ft to flat or very slight tranny and I just think I'm shorting myself a bit.

The most travel i've seen yet still leaves about 3/8ths to a 1/2 inch of travel to be had, according to the oring.

Less psi may be in order, I just don't want 30% sag....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Smooth

eatdrinkride said:
Been riding my 575 for 8 weeks or so now. With my rp3 set up to proper sag I have yet to see the oring fall over the edge of the stroke. Is this normal/common with this shock on this bike?

I wonder b/c on my xc bike with the Float RL it would force the oring off the cylinder about once a ride.

Maybe I need to run a little less pressure but I am wondering if this is more the norm on this setup. Whats your thoughts/experience?

Thanks -JB
You are just very smooth, thats all... :D

seriously though, at 225 and the proper sag, I rarely had the o ring come off the edge of the stroke on my 575. It does feel bottomless.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think the o-ring is supposed to come off when the shock bottoms, because the shock has 2" of stroke, but when you measure from the seal to the end of the shaft it is a little longer than 2" so there is room for the o-ring to stay on there. If it actually does come off then it's safe to say you bottomed it. However, I run my 575 at 25% sag, and on big hits and 3' drops where I don't land smooth it feels like I bottom, however looking at the o-ring it is still about 3/16-1/4 inch from the end so I'm not sure if it bottomed or not although it definitely feels like it does.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Bingo!

Yep, the O-ring will not fall off even on bottoming. The stroke ends before then. Here's what I do to ensure I use all of my travel. deflate the shock to @50 psi. push the bike down until it bottoms out. Mark the spot where the O-ring is at with a permanent marker. Now reinflate to your specs and go hammer! After the ride, see where the O-ring ends up and adjust shock psi in increments of 10 until satisfied.

·
Eyes of the world
893 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
Yep, the O-ring will not fall off even on bottoming. The stroke ends before then. Here's what I do to ensure I use all of my travel. deflate the shock to @50 psi. push the bike down until it bottoms out. Mark the spot where the O-ring is at with a permanent marker. Now reinflate to your specs and go hammer! After the ride, see where the O-ring ends up and adjust shock psi in increments of 10 until satisfied.
Ummm you need to go off something bigger if you can't get your o ring to push off. I've had mine push off once or twice but that was when I really messed up a landing off of a drop.

·
Eyes of the world
893 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess my float rl just had a different set up b/c the oring falling off the edge was common place.

DY...you're just a monster hucker!!! :D
lol no I just have poor landing skills. If I learn to land smoother I won't have problems.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had the same issue on my Ventana. I got a DHX-A and the problem was solved. With the RP3 you have to go out and find a bigger drop which you might or might not have. Or you might not feel good pushing yourself or you bike that hard. With the DHX-A you just tune it to your trails. Problem solved

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Yeah this seems common. The shock stiffens towards the bottom of the stroke(according tom fox). Mine is usually about 3/8 of an inch away. Although last ride I got it closer to the end. Funny thing is I never noticed, this bike seems to suck up drops so smoothly. My previous bike, this was not the case.

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.